Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Raiders' Porter suspended four games

Old 10-14-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2625466

ESPN.com news services

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders suspended disgruntled wide receiver Jerry Porter for four games without pay Saturday for conduct detrimental to the team.

Jerry Porter
Porter

Porter, when contacted by ESPN for a response, offered a "no comment."

The suspension, which will likely be appealed by the union, would cost Porter slightly over $235,000 in salary. Sources said Porter was informed of the decision on Friday.

Porter, Oakland's leading receiver a year ago, was inactive for the first four games of the season after clashing with new coach Art Shell and making public a trade demand at the start of training camp. The Raiders granted Porter and his agent, Joel Segal, permission to seek a trade.

"It's crazy," Porter said of his situation earlier this week. "I pretty much stay quiet and do what I'm asked. What am I supposed to do? I'm playing the cards the way they're dealt to me."

The Raiders were traveling to Denver on Saturday for Sunday night's game against the Broncos and unavailable for comment on the decision to suspend Porter.

Porter has been working with the scout team in practice, falling behind unheralded receivers Alvis Whitted and Johnnie Morant on the depth chart as Oakland opened the season 0-4. Whitted, who took Porter's spot in the starting lineup, has six catches for 70 yards, while Morant has no catches as the team's fourth receiver.

Porter has been on the sideline during the four losses to open the season, often seen joking around while the Raiders have struggled on offense without him.

Some players have questioned the decision to sit Porter while the team has struggled mightily on offense, but Shell has stuck to the decision. Shell has refused to elaborate on why Porter has been inactive.

"He's working. It's not that he's not working," Shell said earlier this week. "I've never said he hasn't worked. He's doing what he's asked to do and you can't ask for anything more than that."

Porter, in the second year of a five-year contract worth $20 million, had been hoping to be dealt before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Porter led the Raiders with 76 catches last season and had 942 yards receiving and five touchdown receptions in 2005.

Porter, a second-round pick out of West Virginia in 2000, has 239 catches for 3,215 yards and 24 touchdowns in six seasons with the Raiders. He has never reached 1,000 yards receiving in a season, missing the mark narrowly with 998 yards in 2004 and 942 last season.

Porter will be eligible to return from the suspension Nov. 12 when the Raiders host the Broncos.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
-------------------------

At this point, I have to figure that Art Shell is batshit insane. There really hasn't been any evidence to suggest this isn't something personal (aside from the sideline incident, which was too long ago to be the cause of this). The Raiders have so many issues that this is completely unnecessary. It's clear that they just didn't do this before in an attempt to trade him. Now that that didn't happen, they'll just keep suspending him as long as the CBA rules allow.

I say that the Raiders deserve all the misfortune that happens to them. This is a freak show.
Old 10-14-06, 06:52 PM
Retired

Yeah, I have to blame this on Shell as well.

Porter was being a dick in camp. So what, sit him a couple games (it's already been 4) and get him back in the line up. He's been their best receiver the past couple of years, and the people playing in his place have done jack shit.

Sounds like he's practicing and doing all the work, and Shell is just sitting him to spite him for mouthing off in camp.
Old 10-14-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard that he has been given permission to seek a trade. Time to pick him up from your FF waiver wire.
Old 10-14-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I heard that he has been given permission to seek a trade. Time to pick him up from your FF waiver wire.
I thought they had permission weeks ago?
Old 10-14-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think so. He demanded a trade awhile ago and The Raiders might have been talking to teams, but I guess now he and his agent will be trying to work something out with another team.

Last edited by chrisih8u; 10-14-06 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-14-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Raiders are the laughing stock of the league.
I mean they are beyond abysmal.
Yet their black hole fans with their silver face paint, spikes and Darth Vader gear.....still think they intimidate opposing teams.
Old 10-14-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised they didn't do this at least two weeks ago.
Old 10-15-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Porter is thought to have been disciplined for asking out loud whether Friday's practice "was going to last three hours" during what team sources described as a "completely disorganized and chaotic" workout session. But a league source told the San Francisco Chronicle that the suspension "won't last a week" after it's reviewed by the league office.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PGUTLPNHH5.DTL
Old 10-15-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho
Porter is thought to have been disciplined for asking out loud whether Friday's practice "was going to last three hours" during what team sources described as a "completely disorganized and chaotic" workout session. But a league source told the San Francisco Chronicle that the suspension "won't last a week" after it's reviewed by the league office.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PGUTLPNHH5.DTL
He was't even the only player that was complaining, according to what I read. The Raiders are such a joke.
Old 10-16-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just my feelings:

-benching porter for thus far came from above Shell
-front office has been waiting for any excuse to take away pay along with sitting him out. Reason why Porter has continued to practice and follow instructions all year.
-like above, suspension won't stick
-raiders are a joke.
Old 10-16-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad the NFL is reviewing this. Hopefully, they'll force the Raiders to cut or trade him, as this is a ridiculous situation for all involved.
Old 10-18-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Porter has been on the sideline during the four losses to open the season, often seen joking around while the Raiders have struggled on offense without him.
So? It's not like he's injured or something. What's he supposed to do, look depressed because his coach and GM are too dumb and stubborn to play him?
The Raiders *are* a freak show.