Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC 64 "Unstoppable" 10/14/06

Old 10-13-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

UFC 64 "Unstoppable" 10/14/06

Tomorrow night. I'm ready! Here's the card and my attmept at a breakdown.

Main Card

Rich Franklin Vs. Anderson Silva: Great main event. While new to the UFC, Silva has been a top contender on the international scene for years. He has scary good wins (a crazy standing, backwards elbow KO of Tony Fryklund) and some disappointing losses (the out-of-nowhere heelhook by Ryo Chonan). Early on, Franklin should be trouble; however if he can weather the storm and make it to the third round without too much damage, he has his best shot since Anderson can lose power down the stretch. Silva also has a sometimes passive guard, so franklin could outmuscle him if he can take Anderson down. Very competitive match. I can see either man winning.

Sean Sherk Vs. Kenny Florian: Standout former welterweight Sherk has only lost to the top in the game. The drop to 155 seems ideal for the pint-sized ‟Muscle Shark.‟ A BJJ artist with some Muay Thai, Florianís last two (one-sided) wins have been against kickboxers with little/no ground game. Sherk has faced stiff competition, In almost 35 fights he's never been subbed and only tkoíd once. Look for Sherk to maul Florian and gain the newly established LW title.

Jon Fitch Vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka : Fitch is a young fighter with a lot of buzz. Hironaka is a usually aggressive BJJ stylist not afraid to stand and trade. Hard to pick, probably the young guy on the rise.

Cheick Kongo Vs. Carmelo Marrero: The only reason this match is making air is because they are building Kongo as a contender in their cruddy HW division. Marrero, to put it bluntly, is a total nobody with a barely there record. Kongoís an imported Euro striker, who's two KO UFC wins have him quickly climbing the ranks and this looks like a gift fight to help Kongo continue that climb.

Prelims: (donít know what the swing bout is, but two of these fights should see air.

Spencer Fisher Vs. Dan Lauzon: Fisher is a well-rounded Miletich LW, probably near title contention. I know nothing about Lauzon. Have to go with Fisher.

Keith Jardine Vs. Mike Nickels: Two former TUF guys. Jardine looks to be the most well-rounded, good standing, good ground. Based on his TUF fight, Nickels may have the worst stand up Iíve seen of recent UFC fighters, so Jardine will probably low kick him to death before koíing him.

Yushin Okami Vs. Kalib Starnes: Okami is a solid fighter with good standup, ground and pound, and a talent for shutting down his opponents gameplans and capitalizing on their mistakes. Starnes wins are overwhelmingly by submission. On paper, Okamiís faced better grapplers/sub guys than Starnes, so this is Okamiís fight to lose.

Justin James Vs. Clayton Guida: Two guys making their UFC debuts. Takedown, ground and pound, wrestler (and rumored dirty fighter) Guida has faced the tougher competition than James, who seems to end a lot of fights via armbar. Guidaís losses are mainly to sub, so not having seen a tremendous amount from either guy, I am clueless who should be favored, prob Guida.

Kurt Pellegrino Vs. Junior Assuncao : Again, two guys I know little about. Pellegrino appears to have the better record and good training camp, so he should be the fave.
Old 10-13-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cant wait for Franklin-Silva...Should be a flat out war. I agree about Kongo, but they need to do something about the HWs with Fedor fighting next week in the US.
Old 10-14-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm making ribs for this event tonight, great breakdown of the fights!
Old 10-14-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
... I agree about Kongo, but they need to do something about the HWs with Fedor fighting next week in the US.
Well, Pride and UFC have flirted for years with champ vs. champ fights, but they've always fizzled. There is no upside to having your champ lose to another. Until Pride is big in the US (they only make about 1/4th the ppv numbers UFC does), and UFC is big in Japan (its only recently gotten a good tv contract there), they will probably not risk the money and reputation on such matchups.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 10-14-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-14-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To wet everybody's appetites for the main event, and educate those who don't know much about silva, who is more than a worthy challenger. Here are some of their fights OUTSIDE of the UFC and Pride

Silva Fights
Cool KO
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JnpUkneMSWE

vs UFC Vet Curtis Stout
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-pBuo2lBDUk

Anderson Silva vs Yushin Okami
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Csq3fIlfK...elated&search=

Vs Jermy Horn HL
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FiS8TPfHcMI

Anderson Silva vs Jorge Rivera Rd2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xsZga7xK2lI

Rich Franklin Fights

Rich vs Marvin Eastman
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Js0zzjuEylI

Rich Vs Travis Fulton in rings
http://youtube.com/watch?v=znPXguemgow

Rich vs Ryoto "Lyoto" Machida Rd2 (His only Loss)
Old 10-14-06, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
they only make about 1/4th the ppv numbers UFC does), and UFC is big in Japan (its only recently gotten a good tv contract there)
Where do you find this information? I was hoping for the Liddell/Wanderlei fight but it seems to have fell off the earth as well.
Old 10-14-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I was considering ordering this, but I'm going to a party instead. Oh well. Some good matchups.
Old 10-14-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
Where do you find this information? I was hoping for the Liddell/Wanderlei fight but it seems to have fell off the earth as well.
Yeah, it isnt going to happen, especially since Wanderlai lost to Cro-Cop...Maybe one day Pride and UFC will get their shit together, but until then we can only hope. Thankfully both organization have some pretty decent cards coming up at the end of this year.
Old 10-14-06, 09:59 PM

cro cop is a huge dude, im not suprised he won, but silva would definitely whip chuck's ass.
Old 10-14-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ace had trouble, to say the least.
Old 10-15-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty surprised by the fight...Not that Silva won, but that he was so dominate in it. Franklin just seemed out of it, and couldnt escape Silva's clinch. Sliva's Muay Thai is definitely sick and if there is a rematch, Ace needs to stay far away from those knees. Franklin is one of my favs, and at least he didnt make any excuses, but its going to be tough for any other middleweight in the UFC to beat Silva.
Old 10-15-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Iíve only see Silva fight a few times. How good is he at stopping takedowns.

I wonder if Rich could control him on the ground.
Old 10-15-06, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rich got pistol whipped. Brutal knees, his nose was on the wrong side of his face after the fight.

Matt Hughes said before the fight if Rich lost he would go up to 185 and fight Silva. He may want to rethink that.
Old 10-15-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I think Franklin deserves a rematch...The first title defense for Anderson will be against the TUF 4 winner (which will be quick work for Anderson). Then you will probably see Franklin vs. Swick (which again I think will be quick work for Franklin). Then a rematch. Hughes and Franklin are good friends and I bet Franklin may start training with the Millitech camp because he was outclassed and did not have a good game plan last night. I mean Franklin could move up to LHW since he is pretty big at Middle but then he is going to have to contend with Liddel.
Old 10-15-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Swick is already calling out silva on the underground.

Here is the fight for those who haven't scene it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/s...s-anderson-sil

"Iíve only see Silva fight a few times. How good is he at stopping takedowns.

I wonder if Rich could control him on the ground."

Although Silva is a BJJ blackbelt, he can get kind of cocky on the ground and it get caught in submissions.

But the Guy is pretty damn good in all aspects, hell he beat Sakurai's ass back when Mach was the best fighter in the world #4#.
Old 10-15-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow. I'm not too shocked in hearing that Franklin lost. I think this was probably the best title matchup fight in quite a while.
Old 10-15-06, 02:43 PM

the UFC needs to bring in Lindland to own the MW division.
Old 10-15-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
PPV numbers are a matter of public record. I always check out the PPV buys of mma and boxing on different news sites. UFC does, on average this year, between 400,000-500,000. Pride tends to hovers slightly above or below 150,000.

Aside from the negotiations falling apart (for whatever reason, we'll never know) Wanderlei's KO loss to Crocop wouldnt allow him to be cleared by the US athletic commisions to fight in Nov (the planned date, now taken over by Hughes-St. Pierre 2). Pride pathetically stabbed back by saying "Well, the UFC wouldnt give us Tim Sylvia to fight Fedor in Oct" which couldnt happen since Sylvia was already sched to fight a month later in the UFC on the Nov card.

Like I said before: the two organizations will just never get along until there is less of a lose-lose situation.

Originally Posted by bballing
Iíve only see Silva fight a few times. How good is he at stopping takedowns.
Anderson is a BJJ balckbelt and he's trained in MMA with the two best teams in Brazil, Chute Box and Brazillian Top Team. His takedown defense is okay but not great. He keeps his stance fairly low to anticipate being rushed. I honestly have questioned his BJJ skills because his guard is pretty passive. He's good and being defensive from his back. I've always thought his offense (reversals, sweeps, submissions) from his back was lacking. Like Chute Box teammate Wanderlei Silva, while on his back, I think he just likes to stall so he can get stood up.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 10-15-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-16-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Silva is not going to catch many people in submissions from his back, thats just not his game. But he has an excellent defensive guard. Your just not going to do much damage to him from inside his guard. As far as take down defense, Much like Chuck Lidell a lot of it relies on keeping good distance,lateral movement and tattooing them when they come in for the take down.

I like Rich but he needs at least 3 fights before he tries to take on Silva again. And I don't think the end result will be much different. Maybe he will stay out of the clinch next time or go for the takedown. But people with better grappling skills than Rich have tried that and failed as well (Newton, Horn).

Honestly I don't see anyone in the UFC beating Silva anytime soon. He looks unstoppable right now.
Old 10-16-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Rich got friggin HANDLED. For some reason before the fight I thought of the Franklin/Quarry fight. I had Rich being Nate and Silva being Franklin. I just had a feeling that Silva was going to dominate and he did.

He was just hammering him with those knees and you can tell he hurt him BAD early on with those. Once Franklin started dropping his arms to defend the knees to the body.. WHAM! Knee to the face! Couldn't believe how strong Silva's clinch work was. Franklin just could not get out of it!

Perfect execution from Silva. Feel bad that Franklin got beaten that badly.

As for the rest of the card.. Pretty boring..

Florian just wasn't able to stop that lightning fast shoot of Sherk and that about sums up that fight.

I'm hoping they put Franklin vs Swick next so Swick can get KTFO. He's becoming waaay too cocky IMO.
Old 10-16-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Franklin got owned. Anderson got him in the clinch and it was all over. Franklin had no answers. He definitely need a better trainer and train more to escape the clinch.

btw, I really hope Hughes move up to 185 and get his fucking ass rocked by Silva. That should knock some cockyness off the country boy.
Old 10-16-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hughes is a bad matchup for Silva so I wont be surprised to see him go up...Also, if Silva lasts a while as MW champ, and Hughes doesnt move up, dont be surprised if UFC doesnt sign Lindland and Hendo from Pride (both provide a bad match up for Silva for the same reason Hughes does). They are GnPers who would give Silva fits on the ground.

I would love to see Swick vs Silva...Just to shut his ass up. If Ace couldnt handle The Spider's clench, what the hell makes Swick think he can? That one will get ugly quick.

Its not that Florian's a bad fighter, its just Sherk is that good...I dont see anyone being able to deal with Sherk at 155. I mean he is probably fighting at at least 165-170.
Old 10-16-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really like Franklin, so sorry to hear he lost, but Silva seems like a more than worthy champ. He's so long and lanky, I see him being champ for a while.
Old 10-16-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Its not that Florian's a bad fighter, its just Sherk is that good...I dont see anyone being able to deal with Sherk at 155. I mean he is probably fighting at at least 165-170.
BJ Penn has mentioned he was going to go back to 155. He's got all the tools to give Sherk a rough, rough time IF he can be properly motivated and in condition. Its a great division, Hermes Franca, Spencer Fisher, Melvin Guillard, Mark Hominick, Yves Edwards, Joe Stevenson, Clay Guida...
Old 10-16-06, 11:37 PM

does henderson even remember how to wrestle? goddamn, he can be frustrating to watch sometimes (for example, his last fight with Misaki). I hope to christ he takes Vitor down this weekend. not that vitor is anything special, but dan isn't going to outstrike him early on.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.