Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2006-2007 NBA Thread

Old 10-03-06, 08:47 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
2006-2007 NBA Thread

Today the Bulls and I assume most of the other NBA teams begin training camp. Anyone else excited about their team this year? It's too early to tell, but it's always fun to make finals predictions. I predict a San Antonio vs Miami finals with San Antonio taking the trophy again as long as Tim Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker can stay healthy this year. Look for the Heat to be taken to the limit in the eastern confrence finals against the Bulls, but Miami will get the calls and barely make it past. Can't wait for pre season games and the opener between the Bulls and Heat.
Michael Ballack is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 09:16 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,227
Here's hoping the Lebron show stays on hold for another year, because once he learns how to run the team, the East is his.

In that time the Bulls might be able to sneak into the mix. Scott Skiles' coaching candor is most refreshing.

D. Wade is still a force, but the Heat are quite old and busted.

The Nets most likely will fall short again.

It will be fun to watch Dwight Howard on the Magic.

And then there's the inevitable Knicks breakdown...
sundog is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 09:17 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
bigsoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 4,514
I think the Rockets have had some great offseason pickups. Now that TMac and Yao are healthy, I think they'll be a force to reckon with in the West.
bigsoos is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 09:39 AM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,975
Let's go BULLS!!!!!!!
dx23 is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 09:50 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,996
I think the Suns title hopes still hinge on Amare being close to his old form, however I expect another WCF run even if he can't go at full speed. They lost Tim Thomas but picked up Jumaine Jones and a backup point guard for Nash in Marcus Banks. A healthy Kurt Thomas and Amare will help with the interior defense against some of the better post players they run into in the playoffs. Add in a maturing Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw and this team should be much better than last year's squad.
WallyOPD is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 11:02 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,806
I'm going WAY out on a limb and saying the Knicks will still suck.
kneijst1 is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 12:19 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,668
Originally Posted by sundog
And then there's the inevitable Knicks breakdown...
don't you have to have some potential and promise to have a breakdown?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 12:37 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
I sure hope the Knicks breakdown. Another good draft pick for the Bulls
Michael Ballack is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 12:40 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,624
go blazers.

El Scorcho is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 01:13 PM
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,598
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I think the Suns title hopes still hinge on Amare being close to his old form, however I expect another WCF run even if he can't go at full speed. They lost Tim Thomas but picked up Jumaine Jones and a backup point guard for Nash in Marcus Banks. A healthy Kurt Thomas and Amare will help with the interior defense against some of the better post players they run into in the playoffs. Add in a maturing Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw and this team should be much better than last year's squad.
Amare in Italy has been holding himself out of practices. His knees are structually fine, and an MRI last week proved it. He is either not mentally there, or is playing in pain.

gimmepilotwings is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 01:19 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
bigsoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 4,514
when you come off a major injury/surgery it takes a lot to get over that mental block and trust the area that was injured. It'll take some time, but I think he'll be back to his old form soon.
bigsoos is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 01:33 PM
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,598
Originally Posted by bigsoos
when you come off a major injury/surgery it takes a lot to get over that mental block and trust the area that was injured. It'll take some time, but I think he'll be back to his old form soon.
His problem though, is not his major knee. It was the one that was injured in during the year last year. The one where he had fluid drained and debris cleaned.

His major knee (left) is not the one that is causing him these problems right now.

Last edited by gimmepilotwings; 10-03-06 at 01:47 PM.
gimmepilotwings is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 01:36 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,029
When is the first preseason game?

And, GO PISTONS!
SuperBatMan is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 02:36 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
go blazers.

El Scorcho needs a hug.
Michael Ballack is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 03:28 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,624
We're going to rip the league apart in 2018. You just wait.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 03:58 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,597
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
When is the first preseason game?

And, GO PISTONS!
Amen Brother!!!!

::shakes off the rust::

Time for the Pistons to go out and prove that they made a good move in letting Wallace walk away to Chicago. I am still not happy about it, but they think that it was ok for him to go. We'll see.

Word is, Tayshaun Prince will be made the focal point of the Pistons offense and we will see him more on the low block, improving the Pistons post game. Prince often is a mismatch against other teams - can shoot the 3, overpower small forwards and out-quick big power forwards. Can't wait to see him in action.

Let me be the first to say I don't believe the Chicago hype. Adding another defensive minded guy (who's 34) who can't score to a team with tons of that already in stock doesn't seem to me to put them over the top of Miami or Detroit.

Miami vs. San Antonio is my early season prediction for the Finals. I too have to go with S.A. - IF they stay healthy.

Ain't it great to be back?!
Kerborus is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 04:28 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
Shaq called the new nba ball a "blowup doll". So is the reason the NBA now has a new ball because of preasure from PETA or something? If so, that makes me sick. I liked the old leather ball myself. Always used it at my fitness center.

On another subject, anyone watch "Real Training Camp" on NBA tv? I'm getting tired just watching the Hornets doing drills. Poor NO getting Tyson Chandler, he can't even hit a 10 footer in practice. You guys would be in my prayers if I prayed.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 10-03-06 at 04:35 PM.
Michael Ballack is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 04:37 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,227
Yes, I forgot about Tayshaun Prince on the Pistons. He will definitely be lighting it up this year.

I'm excited about the Bulls because there is no more Krause product left. I love the way Skiles coaches, but we will see how it effects Wallace, who has stated he wants to score more.

Since Skiles came to Chicago, the team has been really fun to watch. They play defense first and they play it well.
sundog is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 05:14 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,881
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
We're going to rip the league apart in 2018. You just wait.

2018? Is that when the prison sentences end?



and it's not an NBA thread until Red Dog shows up

Bacon is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 05:55 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,668
didn't they go to the new ball because the international game uses it?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 06:41 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
2018? Is that when the prison sentences end?



and it's not an NBA thread until Red Dog shows up

I could do without the whining and bitching about the NBA game.

Random thoughts...

I think Tayshaun is a bit overrated going in to the year and don't see him having a big of a year as Detroit fans think.

The Bulls are going to be fun to watch.

Not sure why it was assumed that PETA is the reason for the new ball. Still, most players seem to dislike it. I'll miss the design of the old one.

Tim Duncan is going to continue his steady decline; his numbers have declined a few years in a row. Yeah he's battled injuries, but I don't seem him being the best player in the league anymore. Spurs are still going to be great, but i'm leaning towards Dallas now as favorites in the West.

I keep thinking the Suns are going to suck, but Nash keeps kicking all sorts of ass. I disagree with his MVP vote, but another year another hope that the Suns slow down!

Another year to watch Lebron grow even better should be interesting.

I actually think the Knicks are going to be a bit better this year. Isiah is going to better then Brown by far for that team. But yeah, it'll be fun to watch that drama.

I hope McGrady is healthy so we can see what he and Yao can do together.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 06:46 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,881
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I could do without the whining and bitching about the NBA game.
the good news is ESPN's Steven A Smith will be talking about the NBA and not a sport that matters

actually the NBA actually was watchable for me last year for the first time in many years, since the Bird, Magic, and Jordan days
Bacon is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 06:51 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
didn't they go to the new ball because the international game uses it?
I don't think that was a reason. Seems to be mostly for consistancy and feel.

http://www.nba.com/news/blackbox_060628.html
fumanstan is offline  
Old 10-03-06, 06:54 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,881
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't think that was a reason. Seems to be mostly for consistancy and feel.

http://www.nba.com/news/blackbox_060628.html
I heard Shaq saying who ever came up with the new ball idea should be fired.
Bacon is offline  
Old 10-04-06, 01:48 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 10,059
Well, I'll say it agian like I say every year: Go Warriors!!! (Don't disappoint me)
tofu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.