Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWECW / TNA / ROH wrestling 10/2-8 (WWE No Mercy PPV)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-02-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWE is coming off a very humiliating week. After having TNA promise a surprise announcement and deliver big with the signing of Kurt Angle (and managing to keep it a surprise), Vince McMahon countered with 2 "major" announcements and was left with egg on his face both times. First a "must see first 10 minutes of Raw" turned into a power outage, and the biggest "surprise" of the show was the return of Eric Bischoff, which was already announced on WWE.com. Then they promised a "major announcement" for Smackdown, which was nothing more than the "official signing" of MVP to Smackdown. I guess all the other times on camera were just him showing up and not getting paid, huh?

Anyhow, here's what's on tap for WWECW this week:

On Raw (the usual teaser pics aren't up on WWE.com) -

Edge is using his rematch clause in a much less creative way than last time, as instead of challenging John Cena right after his beatdown by Booker, Finlay and Regal last week, he opted to challenge Cena to a steel cage match tonight.

Jeff Hardy gets yet another undeserved opportunity to face Johnny Nitro for the Intercontinental belt.

Also teased - more on the DX / Cade & Murdoch feud, as well as potential repercussions for Umaga interfering in Kane's match despite being barred from ringside.

On ECW -

Just a "more of the same" teaser about continuing the angles from last week: Balls & Thorne, Punk & Knox, Sandman & Striker.

On Smackdown, where we're building to a very dull looking No Mercy PPV this Sunday -

"Pick Your Poison" has been changed once, maybe it'll be changed again. WWE first announced that this stipulation (Booker and Lashley pick each other's opponents) was to be Lashley choosing Batista as Booker's opponent, and Booker choosing Finlay as Lashley's. Through either a change of plans or a screw-up on the part of WWE.com's staff (either is possible) the matches were changed to Booker vs. Finlay and Batista vs. Lashley.

The rest of the Smackdown teaser is just a continuation of current angles.
Old 10-02-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smackdown's "No Mercy" PPV comes to us on Sunday, October 8:

Booker T (c) vs. Bobby Lashley

Mr. Kennedy (United States champion) vs. Undertaker in what I assume is a non-title match.

Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero in a "Falls Count Anywhere" match

Batista vs. Finlay

MVP makes his debut against a mystery opponent

Matt Hardy vs. Gregory Helms (Cruiserweight champion) in what I assume is another non-title match

Paul London & Brian Kendryk (c) w/ Ashley vs. K.C. James & Idol Stevens w/ Michelle McCool.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 10-02-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-02-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole "Don't miss the first 10 minutes of RAW" thing was a USA mistake, not a WWE mistake. WWE never had anything big planned for the first ten minutes. I don't remember Bischoff being treated as a big deal. The MVP signing was only hyped on WWE.com which I think was a good move. Yes the other times he was on the show he was "Just showing up". His gimmick was that he was a free agent.

WWE is a mess but at least criticize them for the right thing.
Old 10-02-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no Miz on PPV?
Old 10-02-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
WWE is a mess but at least criticize them for the right thing.
I just can't believe that the 10 minute thing was wholly created by USA with no input or correction from WWE at all. It's not like this was a last-minute commercial, it had been hyped for at least 3 days prior to the show. I'm surprised that if this was all USA's fault, that there wasn't a disclaimer message on WWE.com. All I've seen relating to this so far is a blurb for PWInsider's paid site, saying they'll tell you what the surprise was supposed to be. Of course more than likely it's pure speculation on their part.

As for MVP, you have somewhat of a case there, but come on... to hype this as a big announcement after one disaster just days before, that was bad decision making.
Old 10-02-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What I hated about MVP, was that.. was anyone on RAW interested in signing him? It's not like Vince would ever mention TNA wanting to sign him. I was always sitting there asking myself, who else wants this guy that they're building this huge angle nobody cares about because he hasn't set foot in the ring?
Old 10-02-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I just can't believe that the 10 minute thing was wholly created by USA with no input or correction from WWE at all. It's not like this was a last-minute commercial, it had been hyped for at least 3 days prior to the show. I'm surprised that if this was all USA's fault, that there wasn't a disclaimer message on WWE.com. All I've seen relating to this so far is a blurb for PWInsider's paid site, saying they'll tell you what the surprise was supposed to be. Of course more than likely it's pure speculation on their part.

As for MVP, you have somewhat of a case there, but come on... to hype this as a big announcement after one disaster just days before, that was bad decision making.
The only place the 10 minute thing was brought up was in those stupid USA adds. WWE never said anything about it so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I could be wrong on the MVP thing but wasn't it hyped up for days on the website for an announcement on the website? Sounds about right to me.
Old 10-02-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can anyone tell me what happened to the other 2/3 of Generation Next from TNA?
Old 10-02-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

so, how long does it take everyone to watch Smackdown these days? I think I'm at around 20min. these days.
Old 10-02-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNA on Spike TV 10/5 (Danials & Truth vs Jarrett & Christian, Loser gets Fired Match)

and this Thursday Night at 11pm on TNA Impact (replay Saturday 11pm)

Loser Gets Fired From TNA Match
Shark Boy vs Norman Smiley vs Eric Young vs "Primetime" Elix Skipper vs David Young

Team 3D vs Frankie Kazarian & Matt Bentley

The L.A.X. vs Jeff Watson & Tyler Black (who?!?)

"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels & Ron "The Truth" Killings vs Christian Cage & Jeff Jarrett

plus... The latest news on Kurt Angle! An Update on Sting. L.A.X. attacks AJ Styles in Mexico. Bobby Roode searches for a manager. also... The Naturals, The James Gang, Abyss, Rhino, Brother Runt, Raven, Samoa Joe and much more!

- NO SPOILERS -
Old 10-02-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

= steel cage match

Old 10-02-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Can anyone tell me what happened to the other 2/3 of Generation Next from TNA?
Generation Next was in ROH (debuting at the show appropriately entitled Generation Next) and consisted of:

Alex Shelly: Currently in TNA. He began Generation Next, but turned on them and joined Prince Nana's team "The Embassy" during their fued.

Austin Aries & Roderick Strong: Former ROH tag champs, having lost the belts last month to Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli. Aries will be facing ROH champ Bryan Danielson in Detroit this Saturday night, and he's scheduled to return to TNA at Bound For Glory. Strong is still with Ring of Honor.

In February of 06, Strong and Aries refused an order from TNA to skip a Ring of Honor show (a show that was already in danger because of the number of wrestlers that would not be attending) in order to guarantee that they made it to TNA's Against All Odds PPV. Despite arriving in time for their scheduled match, they were suspended for 4 months. Aries is apparently willing to go back, but Strong has said that TNA can't order him to skip dates he's committed to (especially without compensating him for those missed dates), and he's not interested in working with them anymore.

Jack Evans and Matt Sydal: Jack and Matt are currently with Dragon Gate Pro-Wrestling in Japan, and will be there the rest of the year. Evans has said he'll be returning to ROH in 07, but Sydal hasn't made that commitment yet.

The team was disbanded at the ROH "Destiny" show when Aries said that with Evans and Sydal in Japan, there wasn't a need for GenNext anymore.

Shelly, Strong and Aries briefly formed a group in TNA, but the suspension of Strong and Aries put an end to it.

(info pulled from Wiki)

Last edited by MovieExchange; 10-02-06 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, after my post, I went to Wiki and found the info. On another page it says that Aries is coming back at the PPV as Austin Starr. I don't see why they just couldn't keep the old name, but who knows.
Old 10-02-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, after my post, I went to Wiki and found the info. On another page it says that Aries is coming back at the PPV as Austin Starr. I don't see why they just couldn't keep the old name, but who knows.

I'm guessing it's because since he uses that name in ROH, he won't give TNA the rights to it, so they're giving him a new name. I believe that's the same reason they changed Low Ki's name to Senshi, so they'd have a name they owned for merchandising.

And on a side note - having just finished ROH Reborn night 2, the Generation Next show is next on my list.
Old 10-02-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In regards to ROH, I was thinking of going up to new york December 23 for "Final Battle 06" Would it be better driving up there (i'm in maryland), or taking the train to penn station. I don't want to have to spend the night because it would be the holiday season, and hotel prices would be expensive as hell. This would also be my first ROH show watching/attending, so is there any major differences between it and TNA besides the six sided ring.
Old 10-02-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Various news items - pulled from PWInsider so you don't have to put up with the annoying pop-ups, scrolldowns and other crap:

Smackdown head writer Alex Greenfield has given his notice, and intends to pursue projects in Hollywood, including a horror script he's written called "Midnight Movie" which is about to start pre-production. Michael Hayes will be heading up the Smackdown creative team for now.

Chris Benoit is scheduled to work the Smackdown house shows in Michigan the first weekend of November.

Big Show and Bob Holly were pulled from house shows in order to give them time to rest. Holly needed time to let the gash in his back from Tuesday night's table mishap to heal, and Show has been working through many injuries. On a personal observation, it's said that Show is getting great reviews for his work, as he's going above and beyond the call of duty. Show managed to get a huge guaranteed 10 year contract out of the McMahons when business was booming and WCW and WWF were in a major war. Show spent many of those 10 years injured or phoning in performances. It's certain that with business being nowhere near what it was 10 years ago, he'll be taking a pay cut with his new contract. Could it be that he's finally showing up for work in order to keep as much money as he can?

Joey Mercury, formerly of MNM, has returned to the ring in OVW. No word on where he'll go from there.

The Gymini will return to Smackdown this week after spending time in Deep South Wrestling.

Rodney Mack worked an ECW house show over the weekend, no word on where his wife, Jazz, is.

Marty Janetty was scheduled for ECW house shows this weekend, but did not appear. No word on if this was a schedule change or a no-show.

Kurt Angle will be doing limited independant shows, which will be booked through TNA to guarantee that there will be no schedule conflicts. Many of us are hoping for a Ring of Honor match, but that might not be what Kurt needs right now as, on the average, ROH matches are longer and much more physical than a TNA match.

The band Papa Roach issued a press release stating that, in addition to being selected to play at the first 8 concerts that Guns 'N' Roses no-show, their song "To Be Loved" has been selected to be the new opening theme for Monday Night Raw.
Old 10-02-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
In regards to ROH, I was thinking of going up to new york December 23 for "Final Battle 06" Would it be better driving up there (i'm in maryland), or taking the train to penn station. I don't want to have to spend the night because it would be the holiday season, and hotel prices would be expensive as hell. This would also be my first ROH show watching/attending, so is there any major differences between it and TNA besides the six sided ring.
I'd say that a Ring of Honor show is much more physical than your average TNA show. More high flying, more dives and hard shots to the ring barricades. Matches tend to be longer also, as they don't have to worry about TV time. A match that might only go 4 minutes in TNA can get up to 10 in ROH.

You'll also be seeing an important storyline come to a close that night, as Homicide has promised that if he doesn't win an ROH title this year, he'll leave the company. He has his shot at the heavyweight belt at Final Battle 06. Some think he'll win because of the years of sacrifice he's given the company, others think he'll lose, which will free him up to become exclusive with TNA as they get ready to have an increased house show schedule.

Definitely buy your tickets early, as this is a major show in a city that's become a stronghold for ROH, and it could sell out if you just show up and hope to score general admission at the door.
Old 10-02-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And on a side note - having just finished ROH Reborn night 2, the Generation Next show is next on my list.
Hey are you going in order? It's going to take you forever to get caught up! I'm up to the summer 2006 shows and I've having trouble keeping up myself. They are releasing a hell of a lot of product (and it's all A+ quality, which for a wrestling promotion is insane).

This would also be my first ROH show watching/attending, so is there any major differences between it and TNA besides the six sided ring.
Ring of Honor makes TNA look like shit. Seriously.
Old 10-02-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, DX has already destroyed the tag champs over and over again, might as well have them destroy the rest of the tag teams in the company.

Do we really need J.R.'s weekly Diva sexual revelation?

Last edited by MovieExchange; 10-02-06 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Hey are you going in order? It's going to take you forever to get caught up! I'm up to the summer 2006 shows and I've having trouble keeping up myself. They are releasing a hell of a lot of product (and it's all A+ quality, which for a wrestling promotion is insane).
I'm trying to go in order, but it's just through the ones I own. I bought the first 2 years of product (with the exception of a few OOP shows), and then every time there was a $10 sale I bought any title I needed. Not including Generation Next, I still have 32 sealed shows to watch. I don't have anything from this year, though.

Ring of Honor makes TNA look like shit. Seriously.
I wouldn't go that far, but based on the first 2 years of material it's certainly superior. The guys responsible for the great TNA matches (Joe, Senshi, AJ, Daniels, etc) are the same guys delivering great matches in ROH, and there's even more guys that haven't made it to TNA yet. I'd love to see Bryan Danielson get some national attention on Impact or a PPV.
Old 10-02-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any clue when the next $10 sale might be?
Old 10-02-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, Hardy's now champ (and Maria is going to be in that whole ECW strip poker thingy that's tomorrow night.
Old 10-02-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't go that far, but based on the first 2 years of material it's certainly superior.
Welllll, yeak ok. I was a bit harsh. So maybe not complete shit, but still shitty. It's just that when I watch a TNA match, I can't feel any real passion from the wrestlers for what they're doing. It's just like an exhibition with no heart behind it. Its like the difference between painting a picture of a sunset and painting a fence. TNA is a fence.

I can't really see Danielson ever getting over with a national audience in TNA. I love him, and would probably consider putting him in my all time top 5. But his style really works better where he can go at least 20-30 minutes. 5 minute matches here and there would kill him. He needs time to fully work the crowd over.

I still have 32 sealed shows to watch
Damn, at least 3 hours each...thats 96 solid hours of wrestling, dude. I've got roughly 80 ROH dvds sitting on my shelf so I know how you feel.
Old 10-02-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any clue when the next $10 sale might be?
I don't know, but the 15%-20% sale that ends tomorrow night is a good one if you want early stuff. Any order under $50 is 15% off, any order over $50 is 20% off. When you consider that the early shows are only $12, that's $10.50 at 15% off and $9.60 at 20% off.

If anyone new to ROH wants to jump on that deal, I suggest that you get the first 5 shows at least (Era of Honor Begins, Round Robin Challenge, A Night of Appreciation, Road to the Title, Crowning a Champion)
Old 10-02-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's just like an exhibition with no heart behind it. Its like the difference between painting a picture of a sunset and painting a fence. TNA is a fence.
Current TNA stuff, yeah, I guess so. I'm a holdover from the weekly PPV days, and they had some great stuff back then. The problem is constraining themselves to a 1 hour show with promos and a 3 hour PPV with a lot of promos. ROH does a 3 hour show, but it's not as loaded with time wasting promos so the guys get more time in the ring.

I can't really see Danielson ever getting over with a national audience in TNA. I love him, and would probably consider putting him in my all time top 5. But his style really works better where he can go at least 20-30 minutes. 5 minute matches here and there would kill him. He needs time to fully work the crowd over.
Good point, his strength lies in putting on a clinic of chain wrestling. You just can't do that in 5 minute matches.

Damn, at least 3 hours each...thats 96 solid hours of wrestling, dude. I've got roughly 80 ROH dvds sitting on my shelf so I know how you feel.
Let's see, if my figures are correct....

33 shows watched
35 shows to watch (including Generation Next, which I'll finish after Raw and I forgot to include 2 Do or Die releases earlier)

Volumes 1-4 of "Secrets of the Ring with Raven" (all viewed)
Secrets of the Ring with Dusty Rhodes (viewed, and boring... and that's coming from a huge fan of that era of the NWA)
11 Straight Shootin' Series DVD's (some I've watched, some I haven't)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.