NFL Week 4 Network TV Maps

Old 09-26-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NFL Week 4 Network TV Maps

2006 Week 4 (Oct 1)
National Doubleheader = CBS

UPDATES (Thursday):
FOX:

Denver, CO (KDVR); Colorado Springs, CO (KXRM); Salt Lake City, UT (KSTU): DAL/TN -> SF/KC
Burlington, VT (WFFF): DAL/TN -> MIN/BUF
Richmond, VA (WRLH): AZ/ATL -> NO/CAR

CBS:
Columbus, GA (WRBL): MIA/HOU -> IND/NYJ

All FOX games in HD. CBS games in HD are denoted with an asterisk (*).

The FOX map - all games this week on CBS are at 1pm ET, except DET @ STL (4:15pm):

The CBS Game 1 map - all games at 1pm ET:

The CBS Game 2 map - all games at 4:15pm ET:

FAQ (from gribblenation.com)

What do the white areas mean?
Welcome to the world of blackout rules. The short answer is: no game at all. This can be due to one of two rules: a) no games can air at the same time as a local team's home game on another network, or b ) if a game is blacked out because it doesn't sell out, the network with the doubleheader can only show one game. Donít shoot the messenger, I think the rules are stupid too.

So what exactly are the blackout rules?
The short answer: If a game doesn't sell out within 72 hours of kickoff, there is no local television broadcast. "Local" in this case is defined as anywhere within 75 miles from the stadium. If a station from outside that 75-mile zone has any part of its coverage area crossing over, it gets blacked out too. This is why virtually all of Arizona, for instance, gets blacked out of Cardinals games.

Who decides what games get shown in my area?
The networks, with some guidance from the NFL. The league sets "primary markets" and "secondary markets" for most teams, and those markets are required to show all road games involving the "local" team. Primary markets are required to air home games too, unless they don't sell out. The "primary market" is the market in which the team is physically located (i.e. Boston for the Patriots). The "secondary markets" are adjoining markets assigned at the discretion of the league (again using the Patriots example, Providence and Portland ME). Secondary markets are not required to air home games, and if there's another team nearby, they don't.

Harrisburg PA is a good example. Because Baltimore is the closest team, the NFL has designated it a Ravens secondary market. However, the stations there have noticed there are more stealers fans. So the CBS affiliate there, despite having to air Ravens *road* games in case of a stealers conflict (and enduring the wrath of the local fans every time it happens), they do air the stealers whenever the Ravens play at *home*.

Outside of these primary and secondary markets, and even in them if the local team isn't playing, the network is the sole arbiter of what game gets shown where, but usually after taking input from the local affiliates. Affiliates can request a particular game be shown to their market, and the network will (usually) agree unless it runs against the secondary market rules. The CBS affiliate in Orlando in 2005, after several desperate attempts, couldn't show a Dolphins-Buccaneers game because, for some reason, the NFL said Orlando is a Jaguars market.

Not all markets are designated by one team or another as a secondary market, usually only the ones closest to the stadium (i.e. the ones that would be blacked out if not a sellout). Other markets can air one teamís games more often than not, but that rule isnít set in stone.

Stations in the 32 team markets are not allowed to air a game if the other network has a local team's home game at the same time. Instead, they have to air one in the other timeslot. The rule does not specifically apply if the local team is on the road, but that's on the doubleheader network, the singleheader network usually airs a game in the opposite timeslot. This is usually how those 49ers-Texans duds end up on the air in Cleveland.

How come these tiny specks in Nebraska are getting a different game?
One of two reasons: Sometimes a popular player is from a certain area, so the local station there likes to show as many games of his team as possible. This is especially true in college towns. The other reason has to do with the Fox network. Since it's a newer, smaller network, it doesn't have as many affiliates as CBS, ABC or NBC. So there is a national satellite feed called FoxNet that is distributed to cable companies in the smallest markets and other remote areas, which usually carries Fox's national game. I've tried to show as many areas that carry FoxNet as I can on the maps.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 09-29-06 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-26-06, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Woohoo, I get to see 3 potential blowouts

NO @ Carolina
NE @ Cincy
Indy @ NYJets

w00t. At least they are all in HD
Old 09-26-06, 11:00 PM
Banned

Nice CBS game 2 in California
Old 09-27-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Not to mention the early CBS game, SD Vs BAL, which should be a great game, isn't in HD either. Pathetic!

Lets go Bolts!
Old 09-27-06, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally get to see Philly on tv this week. Cards are taking up all the airtime now that they're so "good".
Old 09-27-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk God

It sucks - due the set-up and broadcast rules, we had a rare opportunity for 6 games to be aired in the Baltimore/Washington area, but alas we only get 4. I can't believe Baltimore is airing the Redskins game (which they are not required to when they are home) over the Bengals game - who the Ravens are tied for 1st with.
Old 09-27-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It sucks - due the set-up and broadcast rules, we had a rare opportunity for 6 games to be aired in the Baltimore/Washington area, but alas we only get 4. I can't believe Baltimore is airing the Redskins game (which they are not required to when they are home) over the Bengals game - who the Ravens are tied for 1st with.
And for the 6,330,340,400 time Baltimore's not in HD. In fact, my HD option suck this week, again. I only get Baltimore HD channels, which means no games in HD at 1 o'clock (Baltimore doesn't get a fox game early and of course baltimore will never, ever, ever, ever be shown in HD over at CBS). And then I have to leave for the late games and don't get to watch jack. Did I mention I hate CBS?
Old 09-27-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
enjoy!
Old 09-27-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Signed up NFL Sunday Ticket last night since Comcast raised my rates. I imagine I should have the thing installed by next season.
Old 09-27-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow

NO @ Carolina
NE @ Cincy
Indy @ NYJets

The Jets have dominated Indy in recent history and they also have that 40-something point shutout against Indy in the playoffs, but I think it will be a closer game this time.
Old 09-27-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How does CBS determine which games to show in HD? Ratings? Are they trying to say that more people will watch the tiny bit of blue in the 4PM game instead of all that blue in the 1PM game?

This makes no sense.
Old 09-29-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATES (Thursday):
FOX:

Denver, CO (KDVR); Colorado Springs, CO (KXRM); Salt Lake City, UT (KSTU): DAL/TN -> SF/KC
Burlington, VT (WFFF): DAL/TN -> MIN/BUF
Richmond, VA (WRLH): AZ/ATL -> NO/CAR

CBS:
Columbus, GA (WRBL): MIA/HOU -> IND/NYJ
Old 09-29-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Announcing teams:

Indianapolis vs. N.Y. Jets 1 PM CBS (Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf)
Arizona vs. Atlanta 1 PM FOX (Kenny Albert, Brian Baldinger)
Minnesota vs. Buffalo 1 PM FOX (Ron Pitts, Terry Donahue)
New Orleans vs. Carolina 1 PM FOX (Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Pam Oliver)
San Francisco vs. Kansas City 1 PM FOX (Chris Myers, JC Pearson, Jay Glazer)
Dallas vs. Tennessee 1 PM FOX (Dick Stockton, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa)
Miami vs. Houston 1 PM CBS (Gus Johnson, Steve Tasker)
San Diego vs. Baltimore 1 PM CBS (Kevin Harlan, Rich Gannon)
Detroit vs. St. Louis 4:05 PM FOX (Sam Rosen, Tim Ryan)
Jacksonville vs. Washington 4:15 PM CBS (Dick Enberg, Randy Cross)
New England vs. Cincinnati 4:15 CBS (Jim Nantz, Phil Simms)
Cleveland vs. Oakland 4:15 PM CBS (Ian Eagle, Solomon Wilcots)
Seattle vs. Chicago 8:15 PM NBC (Al Michaels, John Madden, Andrea Kremer)
Green Bay vs. Philadelphia 8:30 PM Monday ESPN (Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann, Tony Kornheiser, Suzy Kolber & Michelle Tafoya)
Old 09-30-06, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow

NO @ Carolina
NE @ Cincy
Indy @ NYJets

What are you talking about? I bet everyone of those games
is competitive.
Old 09-30-06, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Announcing teams:

New Orleans vs. Carolina 1 PM FOX (Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Pam Oliver)
Nice! Im getting a different game- No blowhard Joe Buck for me!
Old 10-01-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get Chargers and Ravens, which is good. Too bad my late game is Jacksonville and Washington, a game I have 0 interest in. I'd much rather watch Pats and Bengals.
Old 10-01-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Too bad my late game is Jacksonville and Washington, a game I have 0 interest in. I'd much rather watch Pats and Bengals.

I'm a Skins fan and I think I'd rather see Pats/Bengas today.

I still can't believe that Baltimore CBS is airing the Redskins game over that of a direct Ravens competitor in the Bengals.
Old 10-01-06, 10:10 AM
Banned

SD at Bal not in HD, fucking CBS!
Old 10-01-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk God

You'll kind that CBS doesn't give a crap about the Ravens.
Old 10-01-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awsome. I love living within range of 2 CBS stations that usually have different games on every sunday.
Old 10-01-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, I dont mind the matchup, but I dont want any game that has that annoying piece of trash Tony Siragusa.