Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

nfl games in 30 minutes?

Old 09-25-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nfl games in 30 minutes?

its called the nfl sunday ticket "short cuts" from directv:

NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) Short Cuts - edited versions of NFL game broadcasts, allowing an entire game to be viewed in 30 minutes or less. NFL SUNDAY TICKET Short Cuts eliminate all extensive breaks in game action, including commercials and timeouts. Short Cuts will run on channels 701-704. The edited format of Short Cuts is similar to the format NFL teams use for "game film," typically used following a game to analyze the team and its players' overall performance.
how is that possible? the game itself takes 60 minutes. cutting out commercials and timeouts, when the game clock doesnt run, shouldnt change anything. has anyone watched this before? how does it work?
Old 09-25-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they cut out the time between when a play ends and the next snap that could cut out a significant amount of time.
Old 09-25-06, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

They basically start right at the snap for every play.
Old 09-25-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Super Bowl 32 DVD has this. It was pretty cool at first, then got old. Basically they cut out everthing but the play. No huddle. No time outs. No commercials. It goes way too fast to really enjoy unless you're just looking for a long edition of the game's highlights.
Old 09-25-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a good way to watch all the games in a short timeframe if you really want to, but certainly takes all the fun out of the experience.
Old 09-25-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
They basically start right at the snap for every play.
That's what it is. As soon as one play ends (as soon as the runner goes out of bounds, as soon as the runner is tackled, as soon as the TD is scored, etc.), it immediately goes to the next snap. No after-the-play shots, no after-the-play commentary.
Old 09-25-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have this set up to record all of them, then I cancel one per game, since they are basically the same if not identical for each set of teams playing.

I like them if you missed a score or something. I'll play them while on the computer and rewind if something interesting happens. It's good too if you're busy on Sunday and miss all the games.
Old 09-25-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's really cool is the 90-minute "NFL Replay" versions they do on NFL Network. They trim the game without being rushed and mix in post-game interviews and in-game audio with associated plays. It's very well done and is often better than the live broadcast.

das
Old 09-25-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
What's really cool is the 90-minute "NFL Replay" versions they do on NFL Network.
That's the ones I look out for every week and you don't even need Sunday Ticket for it.
Old 09-25-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NFL Network .
Old 09-25-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I record a game that I only midly care about, I use the 30-second skip button in between plays. It is perfect timing for most games.
Old 09-25-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume this is just for Sunday Ticket subscribers?
Old 09-25-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A number of years ago I read that an average NFL game has less than 15 minutes of real play. I know they may have changed things a little since then, but it's very easy to imagine. Think about it, on any play where the clock doesn't stop (ie, tackled in bounds, no penalty or change of possession) the clock runs while players huddle and waste time.