Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC 63 Hughes vs. Penn

Old 09-23-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UFC 63 Hughes vs. Penn

Anyone else watching tonight? This should be a good one (hopefully) after a streak of some pretty lackluster UFCs. Anyways, think Hughes will take this one, but if Penn is one, he could surprise yet again.
Old 09-23-06, 04:47 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait I hope Penn beats Hughes, the Swick vs Loiseau match should be good too.
Old 09-23-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

I am about 80% going to order this on a night in w/ the gf. I think Huges will take Penn. Won't be easy, but he's got the skills.
Old 09-23-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, we'll finally see if Swick is for real or not...Beating Loiseau would be a big win for him.
Old 09-23-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked Penn. IMO, Hughes do not want to stand with Penn. I got a dinner bet on the line with my friend.
Old 09-23-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

I hope it's no $$ value, Zuff-ster, so your friend will get a nice steak out of it.
Old 09-23-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So an impressive win for Evans, and a big upset win for lauzon over Pulver...And in what world is Lambert only 205???
Old 09-23-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I hope it's no $$ value, Zuff-ster, so your friend will get a nice steak out of it.
Just an Outback dinner, which I will be getting
Old 09-23-06, 11:40 PM

Pretty good night. I'm a huge Hughes fan
Spoiler:
so was happy with the outcome though I think Penn was the better fighter tonight if it wasn't for the cardio. Interesting to see the St. Pierre/Hughes interaction after that fight. Should be another great fight as it will be personal now.
Old 09-23-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Think again, Zuffy! Man. Penn looked great in the 1st 2 rounds, while Hughes looked out of sorts. Couldn't get the take down or anything. But, Hughes just showed why he's the best in the world by the ground and pound. That was a great fight. Well worth the price of the PPV. The rest of the matches were pretty weak.

It was impressive to see Rashad Evans do so well. He's looked like he's really come around, and might be a decent contender in the future.
Old 09-23-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy
Just an Outback dinner, which I will be getting
Well, since Penn doesnt seem to train for 5 rounds, dinner will be on you ...Good fight though, and finally a decent Main Event for a PPV.

Swick needs a few more fights before he's ready for Franklin. Those Tae Kwon Do kicks wont get it done against Ace.
Old 09-23-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I think if Franklin wins against Silva, it's a foregone conclusion Swick is the #1 contender.
Old 09-23-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No biggie that I lose. Like Ketamine said, Penn was a better fighter tonight until Penn gassed after the second round.
Old 09-23-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by zuffy
No biggie that I lose. Like Ketamine said, Penn was a better fighter tonight until Penn gassed after the second round.
Yep. But, you gotta train for the full duration. Not just 2 rounds.
Old 09-23-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think if Franklin wins against Silva, it's a foregone conclusion Swick is the #1 contender.
Definitely, but he isnt ready for either of them yet...We already seen what Silva did to one of the TUFers already. But there just isnt anyone else left.

I know it isnt going to happen, but if Hughes can beat St. Pierre again (and I think that is going to be a monster fight) then he should go up and face Franklin. But like I said, thats not going to happen in all likelihood.
Old 09-23-06, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Definitely, but he isnt ready for either of them yet...We already seen what Silva did to one of the TUFers already. But there just isnt anyone else left.

I know it isnt going to happen, but if Hughes can beat St. Pierre again (and I think that is going to be a monster fight) then he should go up and face Franklin. But like I said, thats not going to happen in all likelihood.
Hughes and Franklin are friends so their is no way that will happen. What we need is some cross promotion between Pride and UFC to mix it up a little.
Old 09-23-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ketamine
Hughes and Franklin are friends so their is no way that will happen. What we need is some cross promotion between Pride and UFC to mix it up a little.
Well, according to rumors on some MMA sites, that was supposed to be a December UFC event. Pride vs. UFC. But, it doesn't look like it's going to happen due to haggling over contracts and such.
Old 09-24-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree...Too bad the 2 organizations cant get their shit worked out.
Old 09-24-06, 12:08 AM

Well, according to rumors on some MMA sites, that was supposed to be a December UFC event. Pride vs. UFC. But, it doesn't look like it's going to happen due to haggling over contracts and such.
Pride just played the UFC for some free US promotion for their upcoming Pride event in Vegas. Dana was stupid enough to announce it before the details were worked out and the contracts were signed.

The UFC has sent fighters to Pride, it is time for Pride to send someone over to the UFC.
Old 09-24-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And in other MMA news, Renzo Gracie (my instructor ) beat Pat Millitech (who is the head of the camp that Hughes, Sylvia, Pulver, etc train under) by Guillotine submission tonight at the IFL match-up.
Old 09-24-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. But, you gotta train for the full duration. Not just 2 rounds.
As least Hughes acknowledge he was in deep shit and saved by the bell.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?0=0&fa=...etail&gid=3378

I would like to see these 2 fight again in the future and hopefully Penn train for fucking 5 rounds. I will still stand by my opinion, Penn is a better fighter than Hughes.
Old 09-24-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Penn has more skills yes, but I dont think he is a better fighter...Hughes knows what he can do, and does it better than anyone else. His training and planning are better than anyone else in the UFC and that is what makes him such a good fighter. But its no doubt that there are very few fighters who have as many skills and raw talent as Penn. Its too bad he just doenst seem to have much heart. Bring on Hughes-St.Pierre!!Thats going to be a war, because you know Georges will be ready.
Old 09-24-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to Matt Hughes!!! I've been a fan Matt's since way back. As far as BJ Penn being a better fighter I don't know. Penn seems to have Matt's number but if you look at a list of opponents for each Matt has had more quality oppenents in his carrer in my opinion.

From 2001-2003 Matt has a insane gauntlet of title defenses before losing to Penn:

Carlos Newton
Hayato Sakurai
Newton... again
Gill Castillo
Sean Sherk
Frank Trigg

Dennis Hallman has beat Matt twice but if you look at a list of opponents over their careers would you say Hallman is the better fighter?
Old 09-25-06, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its not going to happen but it has little to do with their friendship. The UFC isn't going to pit their 2 golden boys up against one another. And I'm sure Hughes has no interest in fighting Franklin because he would get destroyed. Franklin is just too big for him. Hes a natural LHW who walks around at 210-215lbs. His ability to cut weight and fight in a weight class where he pretty much dwarfs everyone else is a large part of why he is so successful. I doubt Hughes would make it out of the first round.

As for BJ Penn, Just like with GSP he dominates the early rounds only to lose.
Old 09-25-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great event. Best one in a while!!

It was nice to see Rashad actually finish an opponent instead of just laying on them like he usually does.

I am really disappointed with the Crow. I think he should have beaten Swick. He was just WAY too cautious the first two rounds and that cost him big.. He had Swick in big trouble in the 3rd and if it was a 5 round fight there is no doubt he would have won. For some reason Swick gets on my nerves so all his taunting and Dikembe Mutombo finger shakes were driving me mad.. Also, I'm not sure Swick will get a title shot in the next couple fights because first Franklin is fighting Silva and then the winner of TUF4 gets a title shot so who knows..

As for the main event. I'm glad Hughes won. He was in HUGE trouble in the end of the second and most likely got saved by the bell. Round three was total domination as what looks to be a gassed BJ Penn. On BJ's website he wrote this about the fight:

Full interview is on BJPENN.COM

Interviewer:
Take us through the second round.

BJ:
I felt great going in, Matt started trying to take me down from my right leg, it's something I expected he might do. He got me down against the fence, but I was thinking about this position alot and I was ready. When he went for a big elbow, he missed and I capitalized and started going for his back. At this moment, when I was making the turn towards his back, I felt my ribs seperate on my right side. Although I didn't know the severity of the situation. I was thinking I have to finish him now because I knew something was wrong. Matt defended himself well and got through the round. When I got up to walk to my corner, I knew something was wrong, but I didn't want to talk about it with my corner. I wanted to be the champ. I wanted to keep fighting.

Interviewer:
What about round 3?

BJ:
I remember standing up out of the corner in pain. But I was thinking, "Earn your title this is what you have to do to get your belt back, fight through the pain". I knew the oppurtunity I had with getting this fight, especially after losing my last fight. I wasn't going to quit on the corner. I kept going because I honestly believed it was destiny. When me and Matt were boxing I felt like I couldn't breathe and had no mobility in my core. But I kept thinking something good is going to happen. When Matt started dominating the stand up I tried for a takedown. I had nothing and pulled to guard. I felt like I couldn't do anything on the ground. But I was still positive. Matt hit me in the ribs from half guard. The pain was so excruciating I had to use my far hand to block it. I would rather Matt pass my guard and punch my face the hit my ribs. When Matt was in his favorite position that he likes. I was still thinking I was going to win somehow. Big John gave me plenty of time. I practiced defending against that position with flexibility, but I had none with my core. Even when Big John stopped the fight, I was still so positive I thought I escaped. Congratulations to Matt, he is a great fighter. It's not his fault that that happened, he fought like the champion he is. He deserved the victory.
It actually would make sense if this is true.. I mean take nothing away from Hughes but the fact BJ could barely walk back to his corner makes me think this is true.

I was very suprised GSP said that he "wasn't impressed" by Hughe's win. I honestly think that he was told to say that because he's the classiest guy in the UFC. That burned Matt up SOOO bad..

Hopefully GSP and Hughes will both be 100% healthy for their fight.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.