Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone remember this double play? (rule book question)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-22-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember seeing this on a highlight reel from the late 1980s-- it was an MLB game (maybe '87-'88... I don't remember the teams).

Here's what happened:

0 or 1 out (I don't remember exact number of outs, and it doesn't matter), man on first. The batter hits a soft bloop up the middle, and it lands on a fly on the bag. It then bounces off the bag, and directly into the second baseman's glove. The second base ump signals "out." The second baseman then flips to first base for the second out.

I remember it being called a double play, but I would think that the fielder needing to be "in posession of the ball" (a key phrase in the rule book) would be in effect here. Anyone remember this happening? I haven't seen it or heard about it since then.
Old 09-24-06, 05:25 PM

The second baseman got the batter out (not the runner) by catching the ball before it hit the ground, just like if it had bounced off the umpire's head. Throwing it to first he got the runner out when he was trying to tag up, not by beating the batter to first.

That's my take anyway.
Old 09-24-06, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RandyM
The second baseman got the batter out (not the runner) by catching the ball before it hit the ground, just like if it had bounced off the umpire's head. Throwing it to first he got the runner out when he was trying to tag up, not by beating the batter to first.

That's my take anyway.
Is that a ground rule? Other places in the park do not count the same. For instance, a ball that bounces off the backstop or off the outfield wall is considered to have hit the ground in most (or all) parks. I would assume it's the same for other fixed objects (although I know that rafters vary from park to park).
Old 09-25-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RandyM
I hadn't considered that the second baseman got the batter out, but that might explain what happened. It was such a weird play that I'm surprised it hasn't shown up since then.

As far as it being a ground rule, whatever the answer (regarding a base), it would apply in every park (rafters and walls may vary from park to park, but not the size/location, etc of the bases).

Interesting responses so far. Thanks for the input.