Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Report: 'Zero' chance Girardi manages '07 Marlins

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-22-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MIAMI -- Joe Girardi has a chance to win National League Manager of the Year, but it seems he has no chance to return to the Florida Marlins next season.

According to a report in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Girardi will be out as Marlins manager after just one season.

The report identified a source close to the Marlins front office who described Girardi's chances of returning as Florida's manager a "zero" on a scale of one to 10.

"I don't think there is any chance," the source told the newspaper.

With two years left on his contract, Girardi would be owed $1.5 million if he is not picked up by another club. With Dusty Baker on the hot seat with the Chicago Cubs, Girardi, a Northwestern grad and Windy City native has been rumored as Baker's replacement.

The Marlins already have identified possible replacements for Girardi, the report said, including a trio of third base coaches: Fredi Gonzalez (Atlanta), Joey Cora (Chicago White Sox) and Manny Acta (New York Mets).

Girardi's imminent departure seems to be a culmination of events that have him and the Florida front office at odds.

The manager and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria have had a frosty relationship this season. Girardi was nearly fired after an Aug. 6 game against the Los Angeles Dodgers when he and bench coach Gary Tuck scolded Loria for yelling at umpires from his field-level seat.

According to the source, Girardi and general manager Larry Beinfest "barely speak" and do not communicate about team decisions on a regular basis.

"His introverted behavior and lack of people skills have caused most of the problems," the source said of Girardi, who spent one season as Yankees bench coach after a 15-year playing career. "Both sides are at fault."

However, the source said the front office is pointing to specific in-game decisions that ultimately may lead to Girardi's demise.

Fighting for a wild-card spot, the source described Marlins management as "shocked" that Girardi brought back rookie-sensation Josh Johnson after an 82-minute rain delay on Sept. 12 against the New York Mets. The righthander left the game four innings later with cramping in his forearm and was later shelved for the season with a strained ligament.

Girardi also was criticized for inserting reserve outfielder Reggie Abercrombie as a defensive replacement in Sunday's 8-7 loss against Atlanta. Florida's 10th-inning collapse was aided by two Abercrombie errors that opened the door for a five-run inning.

Marlins president David Samson appeared this week on ESPN and said the team would evaluate Girardi at the end of the season, but the source said that process already has been completed.

Despite the manager's problems, Florida has been one of the biggest surprises in baseball. With a miniscule $15 million payroll and 22 rookies, Girardi has Florida (76-77) in playoff contention, four games behind the Dodgers in the NL wild-card race with nine games remaining.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2598362
Old 09-22-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a big believer that mangers have much of an impact on a team's record, but you can't ask more from a manager than what Girardi did. I don't know all the details of what happened, but I would think you'd just want to live with him for the next season or two and see how it goes. Otherwise, you're just flushing money down the toilet to get the next jackass in to take his spot.
Old 09-22-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jericho
I'm not a big believer that mangers have much of an impact on a team's record
Me neither!

Old 09-22-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best case scenario for Girardi. He's going to get a nice fat offer above the 1.5 he's got remaining if he's cut loose. How much would the woeful cubbies pay for him?

Go ex Yankees!
Old 09-22-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

He'll land somewhere else. He's a good baseball guy. It's not his fault the Marlins are in a shitty market and have shitty ownership.
Old 09-22-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Me neither!

Way to harshen my Friday night mellow, dude.
Old 09-22-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by Bushdog
Best case scenario for Girardi. He's going to get a nice fat offer above the 1.5 he's got remaining if he's cut loose. How much would the woeful cubbies pay for him?
M&tMD were talking about that today, as in everyone knows that Giraldi to the Cubbies is a done deal.......
Old 09-23-06, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jobronie
M&tMD were talking about that today, as in everyone knows that Giraldi to the Cubbies is a done deal.......
M&tmD = who?

As a Cubs fan I would love to see either Girardi or Brenly manage the Cubs. I haven't seen the Marlins play to say whether his in-game decisions are worthy of losing his job or not. But I have seen the Cubs under Baker and over the last 3 years the are fundamently the worst team in all of professional sports.

The Marlins have far exceeded any expectation this year, which says Girardi may know what he is doing in-game. At any rate his team is performing.
Old 09-23-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mike and the Mad Dog
Old 09-23-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Me neither!

Such an ugly, ugly picture...