Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2006 Fantasy Football Week 3 Advice Thread

Old 09-19-06, 08:44 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,337
2006 Fantasy Football Week 3 Advice Thread

Post your questions, comments or advice.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 12:26 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Well LJ and LT are both on byes this week, so it looks like I am starting 2 of Moroney (@NE), Brown (@Miami), and Jaccobs (@ SEA). Ugh...I am leaning towards Moroney and Jacobs. Of course there is always Samkon Gado on the waiver wire...oy.


Here is the rest of the matchups as a point of reference for those posing questions:


Carolina at Tampa Bay
Chicago at Minnesota
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
N.Y. Jets at Buffalo
Tennessee at Miami
Washington at Houston
N.Y. Giants at Seattle
Philadelphia at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
Denver at New England

Monday, Sep. 25

Atlanta at New Orleans 8:30 p.m.

Open date: Dallas, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego
dave-o is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 12:34 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by dave-o
Well LJ and LT are both on byes this week, so it looks like I am starting 2 of Moroney (@NE), Brown (@Miami), and Jaccobs (@ SEA). Ugh...I am leaning towards Moroney and Jacobs. Of course there is always Samkon Gado on the waiver wire...oy.


Here is the rest of the matchups as a point of reference for those posing questions:


Carolina at Tampa Bay
Chicago at Minnesota
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
N.Y. Jets at Buffalo
Tennessee at Miami
Washington at Houston
N.Y. Giants at Seattle
Philadelphia at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
Denver at New England

Monday, Sep. 25

Atlanta at New Orleans 8:30 p.m.

Open date: Dallas, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego
Wow - how did you get those backs? Is it a keeper league? LT, LJ and Brown is a LOAD.

Anway, I think the easy choice is the one you left out

Have to play Brown with MIA playing TEN.

After that, I would play Maroney -- not sure Jacobs is anything other than an afterthought unless Tiki's x-ray shows something.

Also -- I would not let Gado sit on the wire. It may not do you good this week but, I would definitely want him on my team ASAP. Kubiack has good things to say about the guy and he was able to do well in GB over his playing stretch.

So -- go with Brown / Maroney and pick up Gado quickly.
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 01:41 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,420
the two jakes have done nothing but fuck me over so far...so fuck it, i just picked up Kitna and am playing him against GB. lions actually have a pretty cushy schedule for the next month.
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 01:42 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,420
Originally Posted by dave-o
Well LJ and LT are both on byes this week, so it looks like I am starting 2 of Moroney (@NE), Brown (@Miami), and Jaccobs (@ SEA). Ugh...I am leaning towards Moroney and Jacobs. Of course there is always Samkon Gado on the waiver wire...oy.


Here is the rest of the matchups as a point of reference for those posing questions:


Carolina at Tampa Bay
Chicago at Minnesota
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Green Bay at Detroit
Jacksonville at Indianapolis
N.Y. Jets at Buffalo
Tennessee at Miami
Washington at Houston
N.Y. Giants at Seattle
Philadelphia at San Francisco
St. Louis at Arizona
Denver at New England

Monday, Sep. 25

Atlanta at New Orleans 8:30 p.m.

Open date: Dallas, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego
if you can't see that RBrown is a no-brainer against TN, you need more help than we can give you
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 03:14 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,601
Holy crap, I just caught up with the replay of Jerricho Cotchery's catch and recovery and TD. I picked him up as an injury replacement after week 1 because he had the most FA catches but I had no idea who he was. Won't help me losing LJ to the bye week, but I can swap him in for that bum Rod Smith.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 03:34 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,014
Who would you start this week?

D. Foster or K. Faulk at RB?

J. Shockey or J. Gilmore at TE?

Foster hasn't done crap for me so far and I was thinking about benching him this week. Shockey hasn't set the world on fire yet and I was thinking of sitting him down as well.

What do you guys think?
Sonny Corinthos is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 03:49 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,102
Since I suck (still), I get the first pick on the waiver wire (again), so I can pick up Grossman. Plummer is on the bench and Rivers is on a bye. I'm sure I will kill Grossman's hot streak w/ my shitty luck.
B.A. is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 03:59 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Both Tomlinson and Julius Jones are on bye so help me pick 2 out of these guys.

Clinton Portis vs Houston
Chris Brown vs Miami
Kevan Barlow vs Buffalo
Deuce McAllister vs Atlanta

I would love to play Portis, so hopefully he'll be healed up and my other one I guess I would have to go with Deuce. Any opinions?

Also is there any reason I shouldn't play Vick vs New Orleans over Bulger vs Arizona?

I've played Bulger both weeks and have regretted it. How long can Vick keep up his good play? I'm afraid he'll lay an egg the week I start him.
whoopdido is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 04:20 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Who would you start this week?

D. Foster or K. Faulk at RB?

J. Shockey or J. Gilmore at TE?

Foster hasn't done crap for me so far and I was thinking about benching him this week. Shockey hasn't set the world on fire yet and I was thinking of sitting him down as well.

What do you guys think?
I'm almost wondering if this is a serious question or not

I don't know if I'm more surprised at the thought of benching Foster/Shockey for those two guys or the fact that those two guys are on ANYONE'S roster ...

Is this a 28 team league or something

Anyway -- Foster and Shockey without question. Do you have D. Williams for CAR? With Foster on your roster, Williams is almost a must have -- if you don't have him, I would start trying to trade for him immediately.
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 04:21 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by B.A.
Since I suck (still), I get the first pick on the waiver wire (again), so I can pick up Grossman. Plummer is on the bench and Rivers is on a bye. I'm sure I will kill Grossman's hot streak w/ my shitty luck.
Are there any other QB's available?
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 04:23 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Both Tomlinson and Julius Jones are on bye so help me pick 2 out of these guys.

Clinton Portis vs Houston
Chris Brown vs Miami
Kevan Barlow vs Buffalo
Deuce McAllister vs Atlanta

I would love to play Portis, so hopefully he'll be healed up and my other one I guess I would have to go with Deuce. Any opinions?

Also is there any reason I shouldn't play Vick vs New Orleans over Bulger vs Arizona?

I've played Bulger both weeks and have regretted it. How long can Vick keep up his good play? I'm afraid he'll lay an egg the week I start him.
You gotta PRAY that Portis plays -- the other choices are putrid

Portis/Deuce if Portis can go -- if not, throw Brown/Barlow in a hat and go that way.

Is there anything on your waiver wire?

As far as the QB thing goes - that's the tough thing about having two QB's and having to make a decision -- ESPECIALLY when you're top guy and the one you drafted high is getting outperformed.

What is your scoring system -- that is somewhat critical when deciding on Vick. More than likely, I would start Bulger no matter what.

Your best bet may be to trade Vick while his value is so high -- if you have confidence in Bulger.

Last edited by WheelsOff; 09-19-06 at 04:25 PM.
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 04:25 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
~~ PAL ~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 3,166
Originally Posted by brizz
if you can't see that RBrown is a no-brainer against TN, you need more help than we can give you
It's not Ronnie Brown he's asking about, but Chris Brown instead (Ten @ Mia).
~~ PAL ~~ is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 04:29 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
It's not Ronnie Brown he's asking about, but Chris Brown instead (Ten @ Mia).
That's one way to look at it if you see the Jacobs/SEA part but -- the first guy listed is Maroney with the (@NE). Following that set up, it looks like it could just as easily be the Brown that plays FOR MIA.

Don't know any Maroney's that play FOR DEN ....
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 04:45 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Originally Posted by WheelsOff
You gotta PRAY that Portis plays -- the other choices are putrid

Portis/Deuce if Portis can go -- if not, throw Brown/Barlow in a hat and go that way.

Is there anything on your waiver wire?

As far as the QB thing goes - that's the tough thing about having two QB's and having to make a decision -- ESPECIALLY when you're top guy and the one you drafted high is getting outperformed.

What is your scoring system -- that is somewhat critical when deciding on Vick. More than likely, I would start Bulger no matter what.

Your best bet may be to trade Vick while his value is so high -- if you have confidence in Bulger.
Yeah, I'm not confident in Bulger. That's the problem. If I was I'd probably try to trade Vick for a running back. My running backs are my only problem right now. I feel very solid at WR and I have Baltimore defense so Tomlinson and Baltimore have pretty much won the last 2 weeks for me single-handedly. I really don't know what to do with my running back situation--if LT goes down I might as well just throw in the towel.

My scoring system probably favors Vick, especially how he's been playing lately. 1 point per 25 yards passing and 4 points per touchdown. 1 point per 10 yards rushing and 6 points per touchdown.
whoopdido is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 04:47 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,335
Since Gates is on a bye this week I need to pick up a TE. Any waiver wire suggestions for this week? My opponent has Tony Gonzalez, who is also on a bye. So we're both going to be trying to grab one.
chrisih8u is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 05:18 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Yeah, I'm not confident in Bulger. That's the problem. If I was I'd probably try to trade Vick for a running back. My running backs are my only problem right now. I feel very solid at WR and I have Baltimore defense so Tomlinson and Baltimore have pretty much won the last 2 weeks for me single-handedly. I really don't know what to do with my running back situation--if LT goes down I might as well just throw in the towel.

My scoring system probably favors Vick, especially how he's been playing lately. 1 point per 25 yards passing and 4 points per touchdown. 1 point per 10 yards rushing and 6 points per touchdown.
That is a good scoring system for Vick owners -- the less pts for passing TD's makes it easier for him to keep up since he's not a very good passer.

Did that make sense?

Well -- I thought those were your only two RB's. Getting LT and Portis is almost unimaginable -- even in an 8 team league. Let alone getting Julius. Not even sure how that is possible

With Portis, LT and JuJo -- I would just commit to those teams rushing attacks because there are very good backups/handcuffs.

I would grab M. Turner who is probably on the waiver wire and lock up the SD RB's. That is a lot more valuable to your team than Barlow. At least, in my opinion.

I like your RB's a LOT if you have:

LT/Turner
Portis
JuJo
Brown

But -- if anything DID happen to LT and you DON"T have Turner -- you immediately run into a world of hurt. If you have him, I don't think you miss a beat.
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 05:21 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Since Gates is on a bye this week I need to pick up a TE. Any waiver wire suggestions for this week? My opponent has Tony Gonzalez, who is also on a bye. So we're both going to be trying to grab one.
If it's on Yahoo, unchanged and he's available -- Colston for NO is listed as TE/WR I think -- that would probably be my first choice.

It may be easier if you listed the TE's available in your league.

Ben Watson is available in a lot of leagues and I like him.

Des Clark is getting some attention in CHI but, they have played extremely weak teams.
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 05:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Originally Posted by WheelsOff
That is a good scoring system for Vick owners -- the less pts for passing TD's makes it easier for him to keep up since he's not a very good passer.

Did that make sense?

Well -- I thought those were your only two RB's. Getting LT and Portis is almost unimaginable -- even in an 8 team league. Let alone getting Julius. Not even sure how that is possible

With Portis, LT and JuJo -- I would just commit to those teams rushing attacks because there are very good backups/handcuffs.

I would grab M. Turner who is probably on the waiver wire and lock up the SD RB's. That is a lot more valuable to your team than Barlow. At least, in my opinion.

I like your RB's a LOT if you have:

LT/Turner
Portis
JuJo
Brown

But -- if anything DID happen to LT and you DON"T have Turner -- you immediately run into a world of hurt. If you have him, I don't think you miss a beat.
I'm in an 8 team league and I think everybody might have been a little scared of Portis and passed on him until I picked him up in the second round--I had the 3rd pick. My main problem with my running backs is that Portis is hurt and who knows what his deal is and other than LT all my other backs are sharing carries. I played Julius last week and liked the fact he ran for 90 some yards but cringed when that dreadlocked mofo came in on the goal line. I don't know. I'll definitely play Vick this week and just hope that Portis plays. I'll probably go with Deuce for my second back and hope he finds the endzone.

Do you think I should just keep what I have for now and pick up Turner in case LT goes down and not worry about finding another semi stud that MIGHT outscore Julius and/or Portis? After next week I'll have both LT and Jones back from the bye and I guess I'm not sure when Portis is on bye.
whoopdido is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 05:38 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by whoopdido
I'm in an 8 team league and I think everybody might have been a little scared of Portis and passed on him until I picked him up in the second round--I had the 3rd pick. My main problem with my running backs is that Portis is hurt and who knows what his deal is and other than LT all my other backs are sharing carries. I played Julius last week and liked the fact he ran for 90 some yards but cringed when that dreadlocked mofo came in on the goal line. I don't know. I'll definitely play Vick this week and just hope that Portis plays. I'll probably go with Deuce for my second back and hope he finds the endzone.

Do you think I should just keep what I have for now and pick up Turner in case LT goes down and not worry about finding another semi stud that MIGHT outscore Julius and/or Portis? After next week I'll have both LT and Jones back from the bye and I guess I'm not sure when Portis is on bye.
8 Team leagues are tough because, most everyone is going to have 3-5 REALLY good players. So, when you don't have a whole lot -- you need to insure what you DO have.

Yes -- I think Turner needs to be on your bench. I doubt in an 8 team league Barlow is really worth a roster spot.

You really have to be ahead of the curve and always looking out. Portis was a good pick - he's saying already he's playing Sunday and, it's HOU -- could be a good day if Gibbs let's him play -- at 0-2, I am confident he will.

As far as other moves, who else is on your bench?

There may be a chance L. White is the more valuable RB at TEN at some point. They are bad and they need to see what they have in White and Young.

Go try and GET Marion Barber III or try and GIVE JuJo to the guy that may have drafted him.

What does your bench look like -- meaning, who all is on it and how many spots do you have available.
WheelsOff is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 06:41 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,335
Originally Posted by WheelsOff
If it's on Yahoo, unchanged and he's available -- Colston for NO is listed as TE/WR I think -- that would probably be my first choice.

It may be easier if you listed the TE's available in your league.

Ben Watson is available in a lot of leagues and I like him.

Des Clark is getting some attention in CHI but, they have played extremely weak teams.
Colston and Watson are gone.

Here are the top point getters on the waiver wire:

De. Clark
Da. Clark
J. Gilmore
D. Wilcox
C. Baker
G. Wrighster
chrisih8u is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 06:59 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,014
Originally Posted by WheelsOff
I'm almost wondering if this is a serious question or not

I don't know if I'm more surprised at the thought of benching Foster/Shockey for those two guys or the fact that those two guys are on ANYONE'S roster ...

Is this a 28 team league or something

Anyway -- Foster and Shockey without question. Do you have D. Williams for CAR? With Foster on your roster, Williams is almost a must have -- if you don't have him, I would start trying to trade for him immediately.
Yeah, I know it sounds crazy but I'm looking to add a couple more points to my team.

Foster hasn't done jack so far this year. Shockey is going up against a very tough Seattle defense so that's why I was wondering about benching him for this week and starting him again next week. I lost a very close game in week one by just fours points.

It's a 16 team league and so far there's a very tight race at the top. A couple of extra points here and there could make a huge impact in the standings at the end of the season.
Sonny Corinthos is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 08:24 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
The only way I would start John Gilmore over Jeremy Shockey was if someone had a gun pointed to my head. Hope that helps....
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 08:46 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Jam Master Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,816
Need to start a QB:

I have Pennington who has been really solid for me the last couple of weeks but I'm kind of nervous about a Buffalo D that has looked really solid the last couple of weeks...but then again my other 2 choices for QB is either; Culpepper who despite having a couple of bad weeks I like his chances against the Titans or Roethlisberger versus the Bengals.

Also should I continue to start Chester Taylor? They play the Bears this week and my only other real options are Fred Taylor and Reuben Droughns
Jam Master Jay is offline  
Old 09-19-06, 09:08 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Originally Posted by WheelsOff
8 Team leagues are tough because, most everyone is going to have 3-5 REALLY good players. So, when you don't have a whole lot -- you need to insure what you DO have.

Yes -- I think Turner needs to be on your bench. I doubt in an 8 team league Barlow is really worth a roster spot.

You really have to be ahead of the curve and always looking out. Portis was a good pick - he's saying already he's playing Sunday and, it's HOU -- could be a good day if Gibbs let's him play -- at 0-2, I am confident he will.

As far as other moves, who else is on your bench?

There may be a chance L. White is the more valuable RB at TEN at some point. They are bad and they need to see what they have in White and Young.

Go try and GET Marion Barber III or try and GIVE JuJo to the guy that may have drafted him.

What does your bench look like -- meaning, who all is on it and how many spots do you have available.
Might as well just list my whole team here. Play 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF. 7 bench players.

Bulger
Vick

Boldin
Darrell Jackson
Roy Williams
Donte Stallworth
Reggie Brown

LT
Portis
Julius Jones
Kevan Barlow
Chris Brown
Deuce McAllister

Randy McMichael

Akers

Baltimore

So far this year I've played Bulger, LT, Boldin, Stallworth, McMichael, Akers and Baltimore every time. The first week I went with Roy Williams and Chris Brown and last week I went with Darrell Jackson and Julius.
whoopdido is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.