Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

What happened to ESPN NFL Primetime?

Old 09-17-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What happened to ESPN NFL Primetime?

Being a casual football fan used to look forward to Chris & TJ recap the days action on Sunday at 7:30 here in NY. Haven't seen it in two weeks. Did they change the time?
Old 09-17-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Gone now that ESPN lost the Sunday night game.
Old 09-17-06, 08:13 PM
Banned

Chris Berman off my TV, awesome.
Old 09-17-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just asked this question in a football thread.
They have this now:

NFL PrimeTime presented by Miller Lite
Monday, September 18 at 6:00 on ESPN

Hosted by Stuart Scott, NFL PrimeTime recaps Sunday's action with highlights, analysis, interviews, news and live reports.

Monday Night Countdown Delivered By UPS
Monday, September 18 at 7:00 on ESPN

Broadcast live, Monday Night Countdown brings you 90 minutes of analysis, interviews, highlights and news from the site of ABC’s Monday Night Football game.

Kick your week off with ninety minutes of live analysis, interviews, highlights, news and reports from the sidelines of ABC's Monday Night Football game.

Join host Chris Berman and the rest of the team to review Sunday's games and give fans an update on the latest league news. Then, they look ahead to the upcoming Monday night game and match-ups for the week to come.
Chris Berman|Michael Irvin|Tom Jackson|Chris Mortenson|Steve Young
Old 09-17-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have Berman and Jackson on during Sports Center now. They started promoting that right at the beginning of week one.
Old 09-17-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
NBC, with Sunday Night Football also ownes the exclusive rights to the only recap show allowed between the last Sunday Day games and ,I believe, Monday afternoon
Old 09-18-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

I really miss NFL Primetime.

I watched some of the 11 pm NFL Network show. That was pretty good - comprehensive highlights. They should run old-school NFL Films music under the highlights however.

Football Night in America sucks.

It's really weird - I guess I got so used to Primetime. I felt like after watching it that I knew everything that happened in every game. Add to the fact that FOX and CBS seem to have fewer game update break-ins than ever, and it seems like I have no idea what happened in most of the games except for the major stats. For example, I can't recall anything from the Atlanta game yesterday - didn't see one highlight.

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-18-06 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I miss it too. It's the only time Chris Berman could be on television without being ridiculously annoying, and it was a good show.

das
Old 09-18-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
On Sportscenter last night they had Berman & TJ doing 10 minute long NFL Blitz segments, I saw at least two segments in the one hour show. I DVR'd NFL Primetime last week, it was on Monday at 4:00 due to the early game of the doubleheader. I couldn't get into it though because I already saw the highlights, and we discussed every game at work, so by late Monday afternoon, it was blah.
Old 09-18-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this was a pretty bad decison on ESPN's part to drop the real Primetime (the one on Monday night is pretty lame and 24 hours too late). Watching Primetime was always a Sunday evening tradition of mine (and pretty much my whole family, as well). It was such a better, more comprehensive show, in my opinion, than the network wrap-ups by the CBS guys and especially the Fox jabberjaws.
Old 09-18-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't believe ESPN has the contractual rights to air a Primetime-style show until after the SNF game has ended. Even NBC can't start airing highlights (the very few that they show) until after 7:15 in their program (under their contract).
Old 09-18-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't believe ESPN has the contractual rights to air a Primetime-style show until after the SNF game has ended. Even NBC can't start airing highlights (the very few that they show) until after 7:15 in their program (under their contract).
They don't. Part of NBC's contract with the NFL says that they're the only ones allowed to run an after the afternoon games/before the evening games highlights show.
Old 09-18-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does the NFL Network show highlights after the 4pm games are over?
Old 09-18-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I just finished watched the NFL Network highlight show - pretty good, particularly if you like hearing Deion make incomprehensible random one-word utterances during the highlights.

One bad thing is that it doesn't seem to have a set schedule - it cut off before showing all the games. I'll have to pad next week.
Old 09-20-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do they have two different versions of this show now? I just caught Primetime (not sure when it was recorded on my DVR) and it featured Merril Hoge and Trey Wingo instead of Scott, Ditka, and Jaworski.
Old 09-20-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't believe the Cotchery catch and run wasn't nominated for the play of the day on the crappy NBC highlight show. Man that is unwatchable.
Old 09-20-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Primetime was awesome. Easily the best highlight show on tv. Bring it back ESPN!!!
Old 09-20-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johnglass
Do they have two different versions of this show now? I just caught Primetime (not sure when it was recorded on my DVR) and it featured Merril Hoge and Trey Wingo instead of Scott, Ditka, and Jaworski.
Yes, two different versions of the show. Scott, Dikita and Jaworski are on the first version that airs on Mondays at 6:00 pm ET. The trio are on site of whereever the MNF game is. Wingo and Hoge (on a set at the Bristol studios) are on the second version of the show which first airs 90 mins (length of the Monday night Sportscenter) after the MNF game ends. So about 1:00 am ET etc. Then this version replays at 2:00 pm ET on Tuesday afternoon. Aside from the different hosts, different order of when the highlights air etc-this second version includes a highlight segment of the MNF game.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 09-20-06 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-20-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
Yes, two different versions of the show. Scott, Dikita and Jaworski are on the first version that airs on Mondays at 6:00 pm ET. The trio are on site of whereever the MNF game is. Wingo and Hoge (on a set at the Bristol studios) are on the second version of the show which first airs 90 mins (length of the Monday night Sportscenter) after the MNF game ends. So about 1:00 am ET etc. Then this version replays at 2:00 pm ET on Tuesday afternoon. Aside from the different hosts, different order of when the highlights air etc-this second version includes a highlight segment of the MNF game.

LB...

Thanks for clarifying.