MLB Tuesday Sept. 12, 2006

Old 09-12-06, 10:07 AM
Banned

MLB Tuesday Sept. 12, 2006

Jeter won't return Papi blast

Ortiz: I'm MVP, Derek unworthy

BY SAM BORDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

BALTIMORE - Derek Jeter didn't seem particularly moved by David Ortiz's argument that the Yankee shortstop's season isn't MVP-worthy because he's got so many talented hitters around him. A day after Ortiz said that Jeter should "come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be," Jeter responded succinctly yesterday.
"I don't have to do it in his lineup," he said. The captain shrugged when asked further about Ortiz's comments, saying, "I'm not thinking about the MVP right now. We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."

He then added, "No one here's focused on individual awards."

At this point, that seems to be all that Ortiz and the Red Sox have left to focus on since they trail the Yanks by 10-1/2 games in the AL East. Ortiz began his remarks following Sunday's game in Boston by saying he didn't believe the Red Sox's collapse should affect his candidacy to win the MVP.

A year ago, he lost out to Alex Rodriguez; this year, his competition seems to be Jeter and White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye, with several Twins (Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer and even Johan Santana) also in the mix.

"I'll tell you one thing," Ortiz told The Boston Globe. "If I get 50 home runs (he's got 48) and 10 more RBI (which would give him 137), that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have. But they'll vote for a position player, use that as an excuse. They're talking about Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ballclub, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games."

Ortiz then praised Jeter before making his comment about how Jeter might fare if he hit in Boston's lineup instead of the Yanks'.

Johnny Damon played with Ortiz in Boston from 2002-05 and was surprised to hear of his former teammate's comments.

"It doesn't sound like Ortiz," Damon said. "I can't believe he would say something like that."

Damon said he thought Ortiz was a "shoo-in" to beat out A-Rod last year but believes being a DH hurt him with the voters. He likes Jeter's chances this year.

"I'm going to choose my teammate, bottom line," Damon said. "I've seen the value of (Jeter) here."

Nice to see a great player take the high road. Would kill to have a guy like Jeter on my team. Of course, we're just playing for an individual accomplishment at this point (Sanchez to win the batting title) but at least we're not in last place anymore!!!
Old 09-12-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
with several Twins (Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer and even Johan Santana) also in the mix
YESSSSS
Old 09-12-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good comeback by Jeter. I wouldnt pick him for MVP, though.
Old 09-12-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Pretty good comeback by Jeter. I wouldnt pick him for MVP, though.
*faints from shock*

Incidentally, Damon echoes all of our thoughts, really doesn't sound like Big Papi. I hope he retracts the idiocy or apologizes.
Old 09-12-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Matsui and Giambi back tonight !

"I'm not thinking about the MVP right now," he told reporters Monday. "We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."
Old 09-12-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd vote for Jermaine Dye before those 2.
Old 09-12-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

interesting that someone who bats in front of Manny Ramirez can complain about protection in the lineup.
Old 09-12-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yankees with a nice comfortable lead in the first ....9-0.... ...
Old 09-12-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Abreu with his 7th RBI!
Old 09-12-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

boy did that trade pay off... the Yankees are slowly looking like the dominant team again... even though they are playing the Devil Rays
Old 09-12-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the Twins win again.
Old 09-13-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the Padres lose in extra innings to the Reds. Bochy insists on starting Bellhorn over Branyan and Walker at 3B. So we release Vinny Castilla, and pick up two decent third baseman but continue to play the worst player on the team at that position. There's absolutely no logic behind it. And yes I know Branyan and Walker aren't exactly top tier 3rd basemen, but still.
Old 09-13-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B.A.
And the Twins win again.

Tigers fan here. Very scared the Twins are going to win the division.

The Tigers have a fairly easy remaining schedule, so I'm just hoping they can keep from giving away 4 games to the ChiSox with 17 games to play.

I'd love a division win, but with no postseason appearances since 1987 (where the Twins broke my heart again), I'll take the wildcard.
Old 09-13-06, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Tigers fan here. Very scared the Twins are going to win the division.

The Tigers have a fairly easy remaining schedule, so I'm just hoping they can keep from giving away 4 games to the ChiSox with 17 games to play.

I'd love a division win, but with no postseason appearances since 1987 (where the Twins broke my heart again), I'll take the wildcard.
I read an article that ranked the teams remaining schedules, and the White Sox have the most difficult road ahead.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns