Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Seahawks deal first-round pick to Pats for Branch

Old 09-11-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seahawks deal first-round pick to Pats for Branch

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2583149

Updated: Sep. 11, 2006, 2:28 PM ET
Seahawks deal first-round pick to Pats for BranchESPN.com news services

Deion Branch might return as soon as Week 2, but it won't be with the Patriots.

New England traded the disgruntled wide receiver to Seattle on Monday. ESPN.com's Michael A. Smith has confirmed a report that the Patriots will receive a 2007 first-round pick from the Seahawks.

Branch had filed a grievance against the Patriots, contending New England reneged on a verbal promise to trade him if he reached a contract agreement with another team, and that team made a fair trade proposal to the Patriots.

The Seahawks, along with the New York Jets, had fashioned a contract agreement with Branch before the season, agreeing to a six-year, $39 million deal that would have paid him $13 million in combined bonuses and about $23 million in the first three years of the contract. Neither team, however, could satisfy the demands of the Patriots, who were seeking first- and middle-round choices as compensation at the time, and the deadline set by New England passed without a trade.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported last week that arbitrator John Feerick of Fordham Law School had put his decision regarding Branch's grievance on hold.

The Seahawks could use Branch's help in the passing game, especially after an anemic offensive performance in Week 1.

Wide receiver Darrell Jackson, arguably the Seahawks' best receiver, has twice in the past year undergone surgery to his left knee. After missing 10 games in 2005, his durability has come into question.

Jackson caught five passes for 47 yards for Seattle against Detroit, but the Seahawks struggled on offense in a 9-6 Week 1 victory, failing to score a touchdown.

In addition, tight end Jerramy Stevens will probably miss the first month of the season because of a torn meniscus in his left knee. Stevens is an often-inconsistent pass-catcher, as evidenced in the Super Bowl, but he does provide Seattle with a big presence in the middle of the field. Wide receiver Nate Burleson, signed as a free agent in the spring, is still assimilating the offense, and is more of a deep threat who may not be the best fit in a West Coast-style passing game. Always-reliable wide receiver Bobby Engram, forced to play outside in 2005 because of injuries, is far more effective working out of the slot.

Burleson caught one pass for 36 yards on Sunday, while Engram gained 52 yards on five receptions.

Branch, whose obvious displeasure with his current New England contract has not overshadowed the fact that he is regarded as a solid locker room presence and hard worker, could be the prescription for what ails the Seahawks' passing game right now.

Last season, Branch caught 78 passes for 998 yards and five touchdowns, all career highs. In his four seasons, he has 213 receptions for 2,744 yards and 14 touchdowns. In the 2005 Super Bowl he had 11 catches for 133 yards against Philadelphia, helping the Patriots win their third championship in four years.

The Patriots are without their top two receivers from last season. David Givens signed with Tennessee as a free agent for five years and $24 million, including an $8 million signing bonus.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli and The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 09-11-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the Hawks needed to put as much money as possible into the WR position. The pick will be very low (well if they play better than they did yesterday), but this seems high for a guy who hasn't put up huge numbers, especially after the Burleson signing.
Old 09-11-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a lot of fucking hoopla for a guy with 14 career touchdowns (in 4 years) and who has never had a 1000-yard receiving season.
Old 09-11-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now rooting agianst the Seahawks can be fun! Come on top 10 pick!!! (not that this will happen, but i can dream).
Old 09-11-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i have burlesson in both my fantast leagues. grrrrrrrr.
Old 09-11-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i have burlesson in both my fantast leagues. grrrrrrrr.
I'd keep him. Jackson is fragile. Besides, Matt will spread the ball around and he throws around 30 times a game.
Old 09-11-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
This is a lot of fucking hoopla for a guy with 14 career touchdowns (in 4 years) and who has never had a 1000-yard receiving season.
Agreed. I think he was vastly overrated by most in the Northeast.
Old 09-11-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Agreed. I think he was vastly overrated by most in the Northeast.
Not by this northeasterner.

And based on the ridiculous 1st round compensation I'd say he's vastly overrated in the Northwest.
Old 09-11-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Engram is getting old, Hackett and Engram are both FAs at the end of the year, and Jackson's knees could permanently be toast, so I guess they were willing to overpay (in terms of both the contract and the draft pick). I still don't like it though. Branch has never put up numbers worthy of that contract. He's a solid #2 receiver at best.

I keep hearing "well they spread the ball around a lot". Well maybe, but that still doesn't explain why he wasn't even in the top 40 in YPC the last couple years, and why his reception to TD ratio is so poor compared to other receivers.
Old 09-11-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
He's been the #1 WR on a Super Bowl champ/perennial contender, not to mention has been a Super Bowl MVP. He doesn't deserve all the hoopla, but it's at least understandable.
Old 09-11-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
He's been the #1 WR on a Super Bowl champ/perennial contender, not to mention has been a Super Bowl MVP. He doesn't deserve all the hoopla, but it's at least understandable.
Not really. He was only the #1 WR for the Pats because their WR's have sucked over the years. His best season was last year, and he still didn't eclipse 80 catches or 5 touchdowns, and that was for a team that threw for 4,322 yards and 28 touchdowns. Two years ago David Patten actually had a better year. In fact, in 4 years he has just 14 receiving TD's for a team that has thrown 108 touchdowns in that span.

And Super Bowl MVP doesn't mean shit, just ask Larry Brown, Desmond Howard, Dexter Jackson, etc.
Old 09-11-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only if he's got some massive amount ofr "intangibles." I've looked long and hard at his numbers, and different breaks of his numbers and really, there are quite a few #1 WRs who seem more impressive to me. He puts up #2 WR numbers as a #1 guy.
Old 09-11-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Not really. He was only the #1 WR for the Pats because their WR's have sucked over the years. His best season was last year, and he still didn't eclipse 80 catches or 5 touchdowns, and that was for a team that threw for 4,322 yards and 28 touchdowns. Two years ago David Patten actually had a better year. In fact, in 4 years he has just 14 receiving TD's for a team that has thrown 108 touchdowns in that span.

And Super Bowl MVP doesn't mean shit, just ask Larry Brown, Desmond Howard, Dexter Jackson, etc.
I don't think you got my point. I am explaining why he GETS all the attention, not why he is WORTH all the attention. I find it understandable why he's getting lots of coverage.

I do not think he is worth the money the 'Hawks are paying him, though a late 1st round pick is a little high but somewhat reasonable (because they're unlikely to draft a WR that good with that pick).
Old 09-11-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good riddance. He was a good receiver and Brady liked him a lot, but a first round pick is a great return.
Old 09-11-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Good riddance. He was a good receiver and Brady liked him a lot, but a first round pick is a great return.
I agree with this. Still, the Pats are a less talented team than they were before this shit happened which means the rest of the AFC East is happy.
Old 09-11-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. People keep saying Branch is no better than a servicable #2 receiver, yet can anyone name 30 better WRs? Even 20 better WRs? He's pretty good, and on the upswing of his career. If you're looking at great comparables, Henry Ellard is the upside.
Old 09-11-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Branch's contract is too expensive, but I don't mind giving up the first round pick at all. They got the best guy available. I like the comments by Hasselbeck:

As happy as the Pro Bowl quarterback was, he thought of his father Don's reaction at the family home in Westwood, Mass.

"Oh, my dad loves the Patriots. If he had a fantasy draft, he'd pick Tom (Brady) over me," the younger Hasselbeck said.
Old 09-11-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
ESPN reporting that the Pats have asked the league to look into the Jets tampering with Branch. No other details.....
Old 09-11-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How long do you figure before he's ready to start? Down with Seattle's playbook and whatnot. I ask because I have him on my FF team.
Old 09-11-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jobronie
ESPN reporting that the Pats have asked the league to look into the Jets tampering with Branch. No other details.....
Also in, Bellicheck has fucking amnesia with how he left the Jets. Fucking hypocrit.

As a Jets fan, not particularly worried. Unless they were idiots they covered their tracks if they tampered.
Old 09-11-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Incidentally, great stuff leading up to the game this weekend.
Old 09-12-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we are going to bring up Jets, tampering, and head coaches, I must bring up Parcells.

The tampering thing seems absurd to me, but Im not sure what proof, if any, the Pats have.
Old 09-12-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If we are going to bring up Jets, tampering, and head coaches, I must bring up Parcells.

The tampering thing seems absurd to me, but Im not sure what proof, if any, the Pats have.
Don't forget the bullshit contract with the bullshit option that Tannenbaum created that brought us C-Mart. Obviously they had to have had discussions with him about it before proposing it.

These two franchises love eachother. I can't wait till the Jets get good again, then it will be fun. I'm afraid other than some dreams, won't be that competitive this year.
Old 09-12-06, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the Boston Herald:

According to sources, the Patriots plan to file tampering charges against the Jets for telling Deion Branch what they had offered the Patriots as compensation for the holdout wide receiver.

The Patriots allowed Branch to negotiate with other teams during the last week of August. During that time, the sides were granted permission to discuss contract terms only. The Patriots contend the Jets told Branch about their offer of a second-round pick after putting together a six-year, $39 million contract.

The Patriots believe that knowledge “poisoned the waters” and guaranteed Branch wouldn’t re-sign with the team.

I still dont get it. Why would telling Branch what compensation was offered "poison the waters"? Anyways, I hope the new Commissioner makes an example of the Jets and makes them forfeit a few high draft picks.
Old 09-12-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Patriots believe that knowledge “poisoned the waters” and guaranteed Branch wouldn’t re-sign with the team.

I still dont get it. Why would telling Branch what compensation was offered "poison the waters"? Anyways, I hope the new Commissioner makes an example of the Jets and makes them forfeit a few high draft picks.
I don't agree with the logic, but I guess the Patriots are saying that if Branch knew there was an offer out there which the Pats turned down, Branch would think the PAtriots are trying to screw him and make him less likely to sign with the Pats.

Again, I don't agree, but I think that's probably where they are coming from.

I say, screw it... move on, and root for a high draft pick.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.