Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWE 9/11-17: Unforgiven buildup and PPV (Cena sucks)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-11-06, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

COMING MONDAY

+

LAST TUESDAY

LAST FRIDAY

Old 09-11-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

COMING SUNDAY

Old 09-11-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-11-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought we were going to start doing a combination thread this week - WWE, TNA & ROH.

Boring Raw for tonight. The only way I'll have it on is if I end up working on the computer and need some background noise.
Old 09-11-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. this thread is DEAD tonight.

Ended up watching having Raw on as background noise. What's the one important thing we learned tonight? The Hell in the Cell match is much more important to promote than the match for the heavyweight championship.
Old 09-12-06, 12:32 AM

I didn't think it was an awful show. Nothing special though. I laughed my ass off watching Jeff Hardy screw the proverbial pooch when he botched that spot in the 6 man match (the one that didn't have Piper and The Highlanders).
I like seeing Piper every once in a while, but I NEVER want to see him wrestle again. At his best, he was only an average wrestler. Now, a good 20 years removed from his prime...2 artificial hips, and a pot belly don't do him any favors either. They should have just had him host a Piper's Pit with The Highlanders and have the Spirit Squad confront the Highlanders. That would have been sufficient.
Trish Stratus' Raw farewell was done with class IMO. It's not very often that you see someone leave WWE on their own terms, and Trish has been an asset to WWE since her debut.
Kryme Tyme (I think I spelled their name right) had a funny vignette. I liked it better than last weeks. And I know some think it's exploitative, but I disagree. If Dave Chapelle aired something like that (he did much worse than that at times) it wouldn't be labeled exploitation, so I don't buy that argument. Anyway...I thought the bit was funny tonight.
The main event was a joke, but then what would you expect? I'm bored to tears with DX VS The McMahons. In fact, I'm bored with Vince McMahon putting himself in the middle of major storylines that aren't serving the purpose of elevating anyone. Mr. McMahon VS Austin worked because it helped Austin gain steam as the rebellious champion that Vince despised. The guy who would not do things Vince's way. That worked in 1998. But in 2006, we've seen them try this same thing over and over and lightning never strikes twice. They need to quit trying to do the same sort of thing. Especially with HHH and HBK. They should be working against younger guys. Instead you've got the Spirit Squad VS The Highlanders. Two green as grass teams, but I think they have potential. They should be working against some established people though.
Edge VS Cena is is so old and tired, that I just cringe everytime I hear either one of their music hit (especially Cena).
I have to hand it to the New York crowd...they definitely took an average show and made it a little more entertaining when they were chanting at Cena. J.R. is right...people either love him or hate him. I fall under the latter category.
That pretty much sums up my thoguhts on this week's Raw show.
Old 09-12-06, 08:35 AM

According to pwinsider.com elite radio section:

Randy Orton hasn't been showing up at the house shows and it turns out he is suspended due to new terms in the wellness program.

According to the new terms in the wellness program, a person who has been suspended will only show up at TV shows but won't be paid or show up at house-shows and PPVs either apparently.

Some people think within the WWE that if Angle can get fired for wellness issues, boy they said, look out Randy....

Though TNA should not pick this chump up!

Hope he learns that once he hits the independent circut, not many fans are gonna be impressed with his Chinlock of Doom! Plus I hope he meets real wrestlers that will work stiff on that bastard and make him humble.

Personally I don't see why this guy even has fans, Orton hasn't improved since he debuted, all he has done is give the same ol' promos of him either being a legend killer or the swarmy A-hole he is in the ring and out of it unfortunately.

Fitting punishment if you ask me considering he still hasn't changed his ways outside the ring and also in a way in the ring considering he is being lazy and making no progress in improving his ring-game.

I don't want to hear that he is playing it safe by half-assing his wrestling either

Last edited by Curse_7781; 09-12-06 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-12-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lastofthewild1s
Kryme Tyme (I think I spelled their name right) had a funny vignette. I liked it better than last weeks. And I know some think it's exploitative, but I disagree. If Dave Chapelle aired something like that (he did much worse than that at times) it wouldn't be labeled exploitation, so I don't buy that argument. Anyway...I thought the bit was funny tonight.
There's a world of difference between Dave Chappelle and Vince McMahon.
Old 09-12-06, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
There's a world of difference between Dave Chappelle and Vince McMahon.
They are both entertainers. The only difference I see is they have different skin color. In my opinion that shouldn't matter. To say it's ok for Chapelle to do bits like that while it's not for McMahon is showing racial bias.
Old 09-12-06, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by lastofthewild1s
They are both entertainers. The only difference I see is they have different skin color. In my opinion that shouldn't matter. To say it's ok for Chapelle to do bits like that while it's not for McMahon is showing racial bias.
I believe you are missing the point and just confusing one thing with another.

Dave Chapelle uses humor that makes people laugh while uses sterotypical jokes that make everyone think in a light-hearted type of way.

Vince McMahon uses humor either he would laugh at or make the audience not getting the joke due to it being very confusing on why it is funny for us to laugh or not very original to be funny.
Plus it is more jokes Vince uses at the type that laughs at people than with people.

Last edited by Curse_7781; 09-12-06 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-12-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Vince uses jokes to define who is a "good guy" to be looked up to and a "bad guy" to be looked down upon
Old 09-12-06, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Vince uses jokes to define who is a "good guy" to be looked up to and a "bad guy" to be looked down upon
Could've fooled me *thinks of the DX-McMahon feud*
Old 09-12-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, are the Cryme Tyme guys supposed to be heels? Or comedic faces that commit armed robbery and muggings? With the Highlanders and Eugene/Duggan, do we really need another comedy relief team?

Interesting to see Murdoch and Cade get a bit of a rub by being McMahon's henchmen.

Where did Carlito get all those moves? He really impressed me on Raw.

If Vince McMahon could pass his own wellness exam, I'd eat my hat.

Hilarious with the dueling chants. "Let's go Cena! CENA SUCKS!"

Goodbye Trish. You worked your way up from being horrendous in the ring to being one of the best woman wrestlers I've ever seen. The roster won't be the same without you.
Old 09-12-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, are the Cryme Tyme guys supposed to be heels? Or comedic faces that commit armed robbery and muggings?
I don't know yet. Guerrerros did both roles with "we lie we cheat we steal"
Old 09-12-06, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I don't know yet. Guerrerros did both roles with "we lie we cheat we steal"
That's the point too. For an introduction, the last thing a wrestler doesn't want is the crowd or viewer to be confused on what your deal is....
Old 09-12-06, 08:47 PM
Banned

Where did Carlito get all those moves? He really impressed me on Raw.
His brother. I've known Carlito for years (we went to school and played ball together) and seen him wrestle since he was 16 and he was always the more grounded type. His younger brother Eddie is more the aerial type and Carlito has learned some high flying moves from him. I think this mix has made him a much better worker. I was really impressed and proud of the reception he had yesterday at the Garden. He is only steps away from a World Title.
Old 09-12-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love it when ECW is taped in advance. I can read the spoilers, find out if CM Punk is wrestling, and just watch his match and not waste the rest of the hour.
Old 09-13-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, Jeff Hardy covered in paint and botching badly.

WELCOME BACK JEFF!!!
Old 09-13-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dx23
He is only steps away from a World Title.

Sorry, I like Carlito, but the chances of Vince ever putting a World Title on him are slim to none.

BTW, ECW finally had a hot crowd last night. Most of their crowds have been dead and killed the show, but the MSG crowd was way into it. Huge pops for all of the faces, boos for the heels, and nice reactions to the in ring stuff. And CM Punk is my daddy.
Old 09-13-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've known Carlito for years (we went to school and played ball together
Have you ever seen his father's forehead? It's pretty gross, right?
Old 09-13-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank Abdullah for that!
Old 09-13-06, 11:18 AM

I was hoping that they would have Abby on RAW or ECW. Wasn't meant to be. Had a better chance of having X-Pox come out.Also, was it me or could the Sandman just cane everybody else in the ring while he was at it!!!
Old 09-13-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shannon Moore - gets a series of vignettes, jobs out.

Balls Mahoney - gets a series of vignettes, has jobbed out in every match since his debut.

Why waste money and effort doing video packages on jobbers?
Old 09-13-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think so everyone involved can say they're getitng pushed:

victory = push
vignette = push

They may be playing "you get one or the other... and be happy with it"
Old 09-13-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He is only steps away from a World Title.
Those steps are in ring talent and 50 pounds of muscle mass. Best of luck to you Carlito.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.