Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

OK WTF is up with Detroit Lions assistant coach Joe Cullen

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-06-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5941726?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Detroit coach arrested for multiple offenses
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

Detroit Lions assistant coach Joe Cullen has encountered legal trouble for, among other things, allegedly driving without clothes.

According to a report in Wednesday's Detroit Free Press, Cullen, who was hired by first-year head coach Rod Marinelli to coach the team's defensive line, has been arrested twice in the past two weeks.
The first arrest, on Aug. 24, was for alleged indecent and obscene conduct. The second, on Sept. 1, was for alleged drunk driving. Both occurred in Dearborn, MI.

Cullen did not respond to a Free Press reporter's request for a comment, but later issued a statement through the team. "I would like to apologize to the Detroit Lions organization, our fans, my family and friends for any embarrassment these incidents have caused. These incidents represent a mistake in judgment on my part. I deeply regret them and have learned a valuable lesson. It won't happen again."

In the nude-driving incident, the description on the police ticket read "driving on a public street without any clothes on. (NUDE)." In the drunk-driving incident, Cullen's blood-alcohol level was reportedly 0.12, above the Michigan legal limit of .08.

Cullen has coached at the collegiate level at Illinois, Indiana, Memphis, Mississippi, Richmond, Louisiana State, and Massachusetts. He was fired from the Mississippi gig after an alcohol-related incident at a restaurant.

"We are obviously very disappointed," said Lions president Matt Millen. "These are very serious matters that will be handled sternly and appropriately by our organization. Coach Cullen requested immediate help in seeking treatment. That assistance has been provided and a comprehensive, private program has been established for him."
Old 09-06-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I drive nude all the time, whta's wrong with that??!!
Old 09-06-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I was a coach for the Lions, I would be drinking too.
Old 09-07-06, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you aren't female, and cute, and drive nude. You're f*cked. FYI to Joe Cullen.
Old 09-07-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the Lions. What else did you expect?
Old 09-07-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
His shirt was chafing him
Old 09-07-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see what is wrong.
Old 09-07-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know what this guy looks like but I'm still betting it was better than Martz.
Old 09-07-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find it funny that he wasn't drunk when he was driving naked.
Old 09-07-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Vegas sports books have 3:1 odds that Cullen's blood alcohol level will be higher than the Lions win percentage this season.
Old 09-07-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure Matt Millen just gave him an extension because of all this too.
Old 09-07-06, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I'm sure Matt Millen just gave him an extension because of all this too.
He promoted him to head coach actually...
Old 09-07-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Balls In The Wind
I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Balls in the wind, all they are are balls in the wind.
Same old song, just a drop of beer in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Balls in the wind, all we are are balls in the wind

[Now] Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy.

Balls in the wind, all we are are balls in the wind
Balls in the wind, everything is balls in the wind.

-p
Old 09-08-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Police: Lions assistant nude at drive-thru

September 7, 2006
By Jim Schaefer
Free Press staff writer

A burger joint drive-thru worker called police after Lions assistant coach Joe Cullen allegedly pulled his SUV to the window and picked up an order while naked.

The worker, who took down Cullen’s license plate number, told Dearborn officers after the late-night incident on Aug.-24 that “the suspect did nothing obscene, other than being naked at the drive-thru.”

In an interview with the Free Press on Thursday, Wendy’s shift manager Jethro Lett said he was working the second drive-thru window on Michigan Avenue near Telegraph when he heard startling news from the first window, where customers pay for their food.

“The cashier alerted me,” said Lett, 48. “.‘A guy coming to your window is naked!’.”

Lett, whose job was delivering food to drivers from the second window, said, “I was trying to be professional.” But the man in the blue SUV, whom Lett did not know, was clearly in the raw as he pulled up.

Because it was late, Lett had to tell the man to pull over to wait for his food to cook. He recalled the order as a single combo: burger, fries and a drink.

Five minutes later, Lett brought the order out to the parked SUV. “He didn’t say a word,” Lett said. “I said, ‘Here you go with your food, sir.’-”

Police reports obtained by the Free Press on Thursday say nothing about Cullen drinking alcohol, or being inebriated in any way — as Lions officials stated Wednesday when the Free Press first inquired about Cullen’s arrest. But Lett said he thought the man he saw had been drinking, because his head was nodding.

Cullen, 38, apologized Wednesday after the Free Press approached Lions officials about the defensive line coach being arrested twice in the last two weeks.

In the other arrest, which happened a week after the nudity incident, Cullen allegedly was driving drunk, also in Dearborn. Reports say his blood alcohol content in that second arrest on Sept. 1 was 0.12. In Michigan, the level at which someone can be convicted of drunken driving is 0.08.

Cullen, who has had previous troubles including being fired from Mississippi in March 2005 after a public drunkenness arrest in a restaurant, has sought help and is getting “treatment,” Lions officials have said, without elaboration. They also said the matter was being taken seriously, but would not disclose whether Cullen will be disciplined.

Cullen was at Lions practice Thursday but was not available for comment. Lions officials would not comment.

Lett, a veteran Wendy’s employee who lives in Detroit and normally works in the city, said he was asked to work out in Dearborn only days before his encounter with Cullen.

The incident began about 11 p.m. on Aug. 24, the night before the Lions traveled to the West Coast for an exhibition against the Oakland Raiders. That’s when the cashier sounded the alert about a naked man, and Lett called the police.

When officers arrived, the man had driven away.

Lett said Thursday that he was frustrated with police that night, who he felt weren’t taking his complaint seriously.

“All they kept saying is, ‘Did he say anything, do anything?’-” Lett recalled. “I said, ‘He don’t have to say anything, he’s butt naked!’-”

That night police radioed a description of a blue SUV and its license plate number. Other officers soon reported seeing a blue Ford Explorer on Michigan Avenue with a shirtless driver, and pulled it over.

An officer asked for identification and Cullen, the only person in the vehicle, produced it, a police report says. “Cullen was then directed to put on the clothing that was in the vehicle with him and he did so," the report says.

He was arrested and taken to the police station. A computer check turned up no outstanding warrants for his arrest. Police issued him a ticket for indecent and obscene conduct.

By 12:10 a.m., Cullen had paid a $100 bond and was released. His Explorer was impounded and someone retrieved it at 7:30 a.m. the next day.

The 10-page report on that arrest does not mention why Cullen was allegedly nude, and Lett said he doesn’t know either.

He said he was pleased to learn from a reporter Thursday that police arrested Cullen after the episode. But Lett said the whole experience was a bit traumatic, especially since he had only recently begun working out in the suburbs.

“They brought me all the way out to Dearborn, and this is where the freak show’s at,” he said. “You live long enough, you see enough.”

In the Sept. 1 incident, on the night after the Lions lost their final preseason game to the Buffalo Bills, police responded to a man’s call around midnight that a driver in a blue Explorer was traveling at a high speed with no headlights on.

Officers found an Explorer matching the description leaving a Michigan Avenue gas station, again with no headlights on. They pulled the vehicle over and found Cullen driving, reports say. An officer smelled alcohol, reports say, and Cullen admitted that he had had four beers.

Cullen passed a request to count his ABCs out loud, the report says, but failed other sobriety tests including reciting the alphabet from C to W. Cullen said he couldn’t do it, a report says. He also failed counting backward and a walking test, police said.

At the police station, a breath test determined his blood alcohol content was .12, reports say. He was ticketed for drunken driving.

The man who initially called police later told them he saw Cullen driving westbound on Michigan at an estimated 60 mph and then roll through a stop sign at Oakwood. He saw the driver pull into a gas station and described him as a white male with a blue shirt and flip-flops.

Police again impounded Cullen’s Explorer and he spent the night in jail. At 8:30 a.m., after paying a $200 bond, he was released, reports say. He is to appear next week in 19th District Court on both charges.
Old 09-10-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He was doing no harm, so what is the problem in driving naked?
Old 09-10-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
He was doing no harm, so what is the problem in driving naked?
I guess they assumed that anyone who drives naked must be intoxicated, and he could hurt someone.