Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Suicide pool picks for this week

Old 09-06-06, 08:28 AM
Banned

Suicide pool picks for this week

Looking for some feedback on my week 1 pick. I'm thinking Arizona, they've got to be fired up with the new stadium, and the new running back to unveil. Plus, it's the 49ers!

Any other popular picks this week? Maybe Philly?
Old 09-06-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Philly is my pick at the moment, in their division there might not be too many chances to take them later, and Houston is just looking dreadful right now.
Old 09-06-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I think I took Seattle.
Old 09-06-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you in the DVDTalk Survivor pool? If so, go with the Bills. If not, Cards and Eagles seem as good a pick as any. Pats are the biggest favorite of the week, but it seems best to hold on to your Pats pick until later. Though there's something to be said for taking the safest pick (not thinking ahead too much with the scheduling) and letting the herd thin somewhat. If the Texans, Niners, and Bills all win this weekend I predict many survival pools coming to a screeching halt right off the bat
Old 09-06-06, 10:28 AM
Banned

Well, I'll be rooting hard for the Texans and Bills

No, I'm not in the DVD Talk pool...without any money involved, I can't be bothered. Same with fantasy leagues.
Old 09-06-06, 12:18 PM

I went with Philly this week. I know anything can happen, but com'on... it's Houston! I don't know about the rest of you but I have a feeling that I'll probably end up picking whoever is playing Houston or Oakland for a majority of this season... assuming I survive week 1
Old 09-06-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised no one is going with Miami. With a second string QB and gimpy #1 WR, I think Miami clobbers Pitt.
Old 09-06-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm surprised no one is going with Miami. With a second string QB and gimpy #1 WR, I think Miami clobbers Pitt.
Pitt still has the D. And the Steelers still have the running game (how many games have they won with Big Ben only throwing 20 times or so?). And they've got to be geeked up to play the season opener at home as defending champions. And some of us would like to see Culpepper and the new-look Miami offense in real-game action before hailing it as a great comeback. Just too many questions for me to risk going out on the first week in a Suicide Pool.
Old 09-06-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm horrible at these pools, but I would rarely go with road teams like Philly, particuarly in week 1.

It is a tough looking week though. I'd go with the Pats.
Old 09-06-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd go with Matt Millen. He must be ready to kill himself by now.

das
Old 09-06-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always make unnecessarily risky picks early on in these things. Hence, I picked New Orleans on the road.
Old 09-06-06, 01:04 PM
Banned

Mine is an actual cash pool,a nd the payout is over $25,000. So, no unnecessary risks in week 1. A hobble Pittsburgh can still bring it.
Old 09-06-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figured Chicago would be everyone's pick this week, they are mine.
Old 09-06-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went with Washington
Old 09-06-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went with Miami. I'm usually horrible at this type of pools so might as well go out with a somewhat risky pick.
Old 09-06-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was close to picking the Titans (horrible team that might win this week) or the Pats (the best chance to win IMO) but went with Arizona (decent team at home against a sorry team).
Old 09-06-06, 01:35 PM
Banned

Why take Miami this week when they still have 4 games against the Bills and Jets?
Old 09-06-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uwftke26
Why take Miami this week when they still have 4 games against the Bills and Jets?
Why not? I don't have any financial interest from this pool so is all relative.
Old 09-06-06, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Why not? I don't have any financial interest from this pool so is all relative.
True...which is why I'll never do any kind of pool/fantasy league/card game without money involved.
Old 09-06-06, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by uwftke26
True...which is why I'll never do any kind of pool/fantasy league/card game without money involved.
You said that already.

Between this thread and your "insight" in the fantasy football thread, I'm thinking you have some security issues.

25K payout and you're asking for advice on dvdtalk.com -- and, looking at the games, you think the BEST one out there is AZ?

I smell bullshit.
Old 09-06-06, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I always make unnecessarily risky picks early on in these things. Hence, I picked New Orleans on the road.
Same here. Might not be any other times taking NO will be a good idea, but against Cleveland, I'll take that action.
Old 09-06-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see why you would ever pick a road team this early in the season. There are just too many unknowns.
Old 09-06-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WheelsOff
looking at the games, you think the BEST one out there is AZ?
What's wrong with the AZ pick? Just about every oddsmaker has them the 2nd biggest favorites for this week. And NE is the biggest favorite, but strategically some might want to hold off on picking them. This is probably AZ's best match-up of the year -- seems a logical week 1 pick to me. I agree with cdollaz about being wary of road favorites for week 1 -- too many things are unsettled, and even crappy teams can get fired up for the home opener, still thinking they might have a chance to be good this year.
Old 09-06-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about Seattle? They're playing at Detroit, which should be doable... and their schedule gets much iffier over the next few weeks (Cards, Giants, at Chicago, at St. Louis, Minnesota, at KC). You're up to Week 9 before they have what I would consider a "gimme" game (Oakland at Seattle)... and by then, most of the competition will be toast.
Old 09-06-06, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WheelsOff
You said that already.

Between this thread and your "insight" in the fantasy football thread, I'm thinking you have some security issues.

25K payout and you're asking for advice on dvdtalk.com -- and, looking at the games, you think the BEST one out there is AZ?

I smell bullshit.
I could really care less what you smell. I seek insights everywhere before making my final pick. Since my league actually means something, making smart picks and "saving" good teams DOES mean something.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.