Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Charger LB Foley shot by cop

Old 09-04-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Charger LB Foley shot by cop

Saw this on another board, and did not see anything here.

http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html
A San Diego Charger was shot Sunday morning by an off duty police officer. It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.
The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times. Foley was taken to Sharp Hospital for surgery. The woman was taken into custody. No charges have been filed yet. Steve Foley was arrested back in April for battery on a police officer and public drunkeness.

This cop did several things wrong, one he was WAY out of jurisdiction, he was off duty, it appears he did not have SDPD, SD County Sherriff or CHP do the pursuit and/or initial stop, and I do not think "warning shots" are taught in most police accademies. That said, this guy was a jackass for trying to attack a cop, and pretty much deserved to get shot.
Old 09-04-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

warning shots seem odd too. will see what the investigation says.
Old 09-04-06, 01:49 AM
Premium Member

Hard to tell, but from the story posted so far, he is lucky there were "warning shots".
Old 09-04-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm
That said, this guy was a jackass for trying to attack a cop, and pretty much deserved to get shot.
Maybe he thought it was a random jackass following/shooting at him?
Old 09-04-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They say the wounds aren't life-threatening so he'll be fine. I'm curious about the outcome.

I believe the "warning shots" were fired because, initially, Foley said it wasn't a real gun. I guess the officer wanted to prove it was real.

You have to admit, a person in civilian clothes in an unmarked car claiming to be a policeman pulls a gun... you gotta at least have to think it's a possible carjack. The off-duty cop should've called in a unit to take care of the situation.
Old 09-04-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You have to admit, a person in civilian clothes in an unmarked car claiming to be a policeman pulls a gun... you gotta at least have to think it's a possible carjack. The off-duty cop should've called in a unit to take care of the situation.
He almost assuredly did call for on-duty officers. He would have had no way to transport a prisoner himself. The on-duty officers probably had just not arrived yet.
Old 09-04-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It gets even better - the Chargers won't have to pay Foley's salary this year either (see ESPN). I smell a grievance and a lawsuit, against the team and city, respectively.
Old 09-04-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
Maybe he thought it was a random jackass following/shooting at him?
Back in April too.
Old 09-04-06, 06:49 PM

being a bengals fan when i heard the opening story on the cincy radio station "former bengals linebacker shot by cops..." i cringed, glad that he is going to be ok and that he is a black eye for another team and not the bengals..... i had regretted them releasing him a couple of years ago, but he would have been another cancer looks like...... again, glad to hear that he is going to be ok though...
Old 09-04-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
He almost assuredly did call for on-duty officers. He would have had no way to transport a prisoner himself. The on-duty officers probably had just not arrived yet.
But he followed him from Coronado to Poway, about a 30-45 minute drive, I am sure between SDPD, SDCS, Poway PD and CHP someone could have joined the pursuit.
Old 09-04-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's Racism! Racism, I tell ya!
Old 09-04-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Foley beat up a cop 4 or 5 months ago, I think this played out exactly like the cop wanted it to. And they impound his car, arrest his girl, and press charges. I'm sure most of the people here at least have a friend who was pulled over for drinking and driving, and I imagine none of those people were shot. This story is shady as hell.
Old 09-05-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
about a 30-45 minute drive
Not at 90 MPH, which is how fast he was supposedly going.
Old 09-05-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cleaver
I'm sure most of the people here at least have a friend who was pulled over for drinking and driving, and I imagine none of those people were shot.
I hope not. That would be a pretty sad statement.
Old 09-05-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I hope not. That would be a pretty sad statement.
I should have phrased it know at least one person who has been pulled over for drinking and driving.
Old 09-05-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Not at 90 MPH, which is how fast he was supposedly going.
Actually anywhere from 10-90 MPH.
Old 09-05-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assumed that although he was off-duty, he was in uniform and in a police car. Is this not the case? If not, I can understand why someone would not stop. Hell, I wouldn't stop if someone was following me. Even after he identified himself as a cop, I still would have been skeptical as people impersonate cops to commit crimes all of the time. If the cop truly was not in uniform, he had no business pulling anyone over and certainly shouldn't expect to be believed just because he said he was a cop.
Old 09-05-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From what I hear, it was an unmarked car. I'd be hesitant to pull over too. Hell, I might be going 90 MPH too if I had some dude following me home at 3:00 am. I'm sure there's going to be a lot more coming out from this story. Supposedly Foley was coming home from a team function. No idea where the cop was coming from.
Old 09-08-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I admit when I first heard this I thought it sounded bad too. Of course the media rarely prints the truth when it comes to police issues (as proof, tell me what you think you know about the Rampart scandal in LA).
Foley has an extensive history of alcohol related arrests -at least 4. He has two arrests for assault on police.
He was very drunk, a .28 blood alcohol (more than 3 X the legal limit) and driving very erratically, almost hitting several cars as the officer followed him.
The officer did NOT follow him from Coronado to Poway. The officer was on his way to his home (he doesn't live in Coronado) in East County. He started following Foley somewhere East of Downtown (the 163 or 15). As soon as he noticed how Foley was driving dangerously he called dispatch (the first of 5 calls). By the time Foley exited the 15 (I think at Scripps Parkway) the CHP had not arrived yet. At a light the officer identified himself as an officer (showing his badge) and told Foley to pull over. Foley ran the light and pulled away. This happened at least twice before Foley got turned around and ended up in a dead end cul-de-sac. The officer stopped and exited the car, ordering Foley to exit as well. Foley got out and began to walk towards him. The female moved into the driver’s seat and drove at the officer, trying to run him over. The officer fired two shots hitting the vehicle only, stopping it. Foley continued to approach the officer despite repeated orders not to (here is where the “warning shot” was supposed to have happened, I don’t think that is official yet. It doesn’t seem right because that seems to be the only rule the officer violated, and he had already fired two “warning shots” at the car). Foley was then shot 3 times as he charged the officer. Backup arrived 2-3 minutes later.

Firstly the female was not his girlfriend (at least for more that 2 or 3 hours). They had met that night, drunk, and he was taking her home to his house. She has an extensive history of drug arrests and had an outstanding out of state warrant. She was a dirt bag who I can very easily believe tried to run the officer down. (BTW when Foley’s wife arrived from Texas, homicide detectives had to flee the room, she was so angry)

Secondly the officer was not out of his jurisdiction. A sworn law enforcement officer has powers of arrest through out the entire state of California. Officers are considered “on-duty” 24 hours a day and required to protect life and property even when out of uniform (I tend to lean towards the “be a good witness” school of thought, but that’s just me).

I may not have handled it the same way, but I was not there. The officer will probably be exonerated.

Thank God the Chargers are fat at linebacker.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 09-10-06 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds to me like the officer did the right thing in this case.

People who recklessly endanger the lives of others like that get no sympathy from me.
Old 09-09-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am glad to see some more facts come to light and it appear that this was not some glorified rent a cop going Rambo. The NFL needs to come down hard on players when they do stupid crap like this, when a few players are booted out and can no longer make a 7 figure salary, most stupid off the field crap will stop - or slow way down.
Old 09-09-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still think it's strange that the cop says he was going to let them go but then became trapped in a cul-de-sac. I'm not sure how that happens. Especially if you're in a car.
Old 09-09-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
I'm sure most of the people here at least have a friend who was pulled over for drinking and driving, and I imagine none of those people were shot.
Unless they came at the police while their GF's tried to run them down...
Old 09-14-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Foley's BAC was .233!
Old 09-15-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really sounds like the cop did nothing wrong. Foley is the dumbass with the sketchy history. Drunk driving is inexcusable.