Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football: Winslow or Davis

Old 09-01-06, 10:52 AM

Fantasy Football: Winslow or Davis

I've got Antonio Gates as my starting TE and picked up Winslow and Davis in the last two rounds as trade-bait. Nobody seems to be biting on either one of them and I'm looking to drop one and pick up Brandon Jacobs off waivers. Who do you think will put up bigger fantasy numbers. Winslow or Davis?
Old 09-01-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by yesan
I've got Antonio Gates as my starting TE and picked up Winslow and Davis in the last two rounds as trade-bait. Nobody seems to be biting on either one of them and I'm looking to drop one and pick up Brandon Jacobs off waivers. Who do you think will put up bigger fantasy numbers. Winslow or Davis?
No one is going to trade for a second tight end as most do not keep a reserve on their roster. They just pick up one for the bye week. They know you are going to drop one or both of them eventually so why trade.
Old 09-01-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't the point of drafting trade bait to wait a bit into the season (sacrificing some of your bench spots) until one of the teams with 1 TE gets hurt or loses their job? It's no wonder no one is biting. Anyway, I like Winslow more though I don't see them as being that far apart.
Old 09-01-06, 11:42 AM

Yeah, it would make a lot of sense to sit on them for a while, but with certain bye weeks and certain things my team needs, I'm not sure that I can right now. Perhaps I am just panicking and may just need to wait it out.
Old 09-01-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The other teams are hoping you use up 2 roster spots on guys you don't need.
Old 09-01-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The other teams are hoping you use up 2 roster spots on guys you don't need.

Old 09-01-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it would make a lot of sense to sit on them for a while, but with certain bye weeks and certain things my team needs, I'm not sure that I can right now. Perhaps I am just panicking and may just need to wait it out.
Gates has the bye in week 3. Besides week 3, Gates is the kind of guy that you just plug into your starting TE spot and you don't have to worry about it any more. Barring an injury, your backup TE will do nothing for your team except in week 3. Either of these guys would cover for him (neither has week 3 bye). I'm not sure what other kind of need your team could have. Unless you were needing a TE to play at a W/T flex spot -- in which case you'd be much better off with a WR unless your league has crazy scoring that gives bonuses to TEs. At the least you should drop one and take a "huge upside" player, or shore up a position where you're weaker. How are you for QB? The TEN QB situation has a lot of crazy stuff going on, and Collins probably wasn't drafted. Guys like that are nice "trade bait" stashes ... not mediocre TEs.
Old 09-01-06, 01:43 PM

Brainee, Thanks for the advice. I'll probably see how Davis and Winslow do the first week and then go from there. I've got Plummer at QB and do need to pick up a second QB for his Week 4 bye. Wasn't aware of the Collins situation in Tennesee, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-01-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in the same situation as you. I took Shockey as my starter and after most of the servicable RBs and WRs went, I noticed a number of good TEs left. I decided to take a back-up and took Winslow over Davis, Heath Miller, and one or two other decent TEs. I prefer Winslow for a few reasons. One, his injuries were pretty flukey, a broken leg on an onside kick and a torn ACL. Not the kind of nagging injuries or injuries one would get if they're injury prone. Two, rookie TEs generally don't produce. Granted Winslow only has two games of PT, but he's more accustomed to the pro level. Third, SF has Eric Johnson (don't forget that he's back this year) at TE and he'll eat into Davis' numbers. Finally, the Cleveland WRs are kinda bare and that should help Winslow be more of a threat. Edwards isn't 100% after his ACL surgery and Jurevicius is more a role player than a go to receiver (depsite last year's numbers). Cleveland has to throw to someone. SF's WR core isn't great either, but I like Bryant more than either Cleveland guy. And Cleveland's offense is better, which should generate more opportunities.
Old 09-04-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Jericho - your reasoning is exactly what i was thinking of when I picked up Winslow late.
Old 09-04-06, 03:48 PM

so you drafted 3 tight ends for trade bait. I am sorry to tell you that was a bad idea. The only way that would work is if you gor Shockey, Gonzalez and gates, then maybe people would trade. You are not going to get much for Winslow considering he is just getting off being injured, and davis when he plays for 49'ers. I would drop both of them or else lower what you are asking for in terms of trades. Tight end is a deep position this year so no one is gonna give up a lot when they are only getting back maybe 2 points a week. Next time draft to draft not trade.
Old 09-05-06, 02:08 AM

My advice? Get someone to overpay for Gates (and they will) to fill your other needs and play Winslow. I think he'll be a serviceable player this year, and you can upgrade wherever you want by trading a player of Gates' caliber at such a thin position. When you have a surplus of good players at 1 position ALWAYS look to deal the best one when trying to upgrade another position.
Old 09-05-06, 11:51 AM

Yeah, drafting 3 TEs wasn't such a good idea. Got them in the last two rounds and figured that someone would get stuck with a poor TE and would want to trade. Also didn't realize that Eric Johnson was back and that he's the number one TE on SF's depth chart. Dropping Wells and hanging onto Winslow until after Week 3 (Gates' bye week). Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 09-08-06, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
My advice? Get someone to overpay for Gates (and they will) to fill your other needs and play Winslow. I think he'll be a serviceable player this year, and you can upgrade wherever you want by trading a player of Gates' caliber at such a thin position. When you have a surplus of good players at 1 position ALWAYS look to deal the best one when trying to upgrade another position.
I think this is the best response and advice on what to do.
Old 09-08-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked up Jerramy Stevens late in hopes that he'll recover before too long. LJ Smith's bye isn't til Nov.
Old 09-08-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you need to ask yourself which one is a fuckin' soldier and then go with him.

das
Old 09-08-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Winslow..but im from cleveland