Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Toronto Blue Jays have no class

Old 07-19-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto Blue Jays have no class

from espn.com

ttp://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2524415

TORONTO -- Shea Hillenbrand was cut by the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday night after he was chastised during a team meeting and he refused to sit in the dugout with his teammates.

Shea Hillenbrand
First Base
Toronto Blue Jays

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
81 12 39 40 .342 .301

Hours before, Hillenbrand criticized the organization and said he expected to be traded. The designated hitter and corner infielder was upset because he wasn't in the starting lineup for the second consecutive game and nobody in Toronto's front office congratulated him on adopting a baby girl last weekend.

The Blue Jays held a meeting before Wednesday night's 5-4 loss to Texas. Hillenbrand, reached by The Toronto Star during the game, said manager John Gibbons admonished him in front of the team.

"Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates," Hillenbrand told the newspaper. "I'm very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional."

Hillenbrand was designated for assignment during the game and was not in the locker room afterward.

"It will do wonders for the clubhouse," Gibbons said.

General manager J.P. Ricciardi cited irrevocable differences and said: "His version of events are different from ours."

"From the beginning of the season, there were times when I wasn't playing and there would be no justifiable excuse," Hillenbrand told The Toronto Star. "He said that if I had a problem with the team or what was going on, I should come into the manager's office and talk to him.

"But then, he would get mad at me when I did that and accuse me of being a selfish player."

Hillenbrand was batting .301 with 12 homers, 15 doubles and 39 RBIs. The Blue Jays have 10 days to trade, release or send him outright to the minors.

With the trade deadline approaching July 31, Hillenbrand figures to draw interest from at least a couple of contending teams looking for offense.

"I love my teammates here, but I'm waiting to be traded," Hillenbrand said during a profanity-filled tirade before the game. "I should have been traded two months ago."

Hillenbrand, who will turn 31 next week, left the team last Friday to be with his family for the adoption and didn't return until Tuesday.

"They are making me feel like I did something wrong," Hillenbrand said.

He added that he should have just stayed home, and the team should trade him if it's not going to play him.

"They wonder why they are not winning," Hillenbrand said. "It's the atmosphere."

The Blue Jays (52-42) are in third place in the AL East. The second-place New York Yankees visit Toronto for an important four-game series starting Thursday.

Ricciardi said Hillenbrand's dismissal had nothing to do with his family absence.

"No one is bigger than the organization," the GM said.

The Blue Jays have been short-handed this week because of Hillenbrand's absence and injuries to slugger Troy Glaus and right fielder Alex Rios.

Hillenbrand's locker was empty after the game.

The move shocked Hillenbrand's teammates.

Right-hander Casey Janssen called it crazy and catcher Gregg Zaun said he didn't see it coming.

"It's just weird, but obviously they felt like it had to be done. I stand by their decision," outfielder Frank Catalanotto said.

Team leader Vernon Wells said Hillenbrand took the news hard.

"Normally, you see Shea with a smile on his face and joking around," Wells said. "It was hard for a lot of us to take. It's just something you don't see that often. I know it hit me hard."

When Hillenbrand and his wife, Jessica, applied to adopt a child in June, they figured the season would be over by the time they received any news. But they were matched quickly with a woman who gave birth last Friday.

"Not one person from the front office has even come up to congratulate me," he said. "It's all the little people like you guys. But nobody from higher up. That's a disgrace."

Hillenbrand flew to California last weekend and stayed there to fill out the necessary paperwork. He said he was "very surprised" he wasn't in the starting lineup for the second consecutive day Wednesday.

"He hasn't played in four days and we like the lineup we have in there," Gibbons said before Hillenbrand's outburst.

Hillenbrand pleaded to stay with the Blue Jays in late May when reports surfaced about a possible trade to the Los Angeles Angels for second baseman Adam Kennedy.

Hillenbrand, a six-year veteran, was traded to the Blue Jays by Arizona before last season.

There has been increased pressure on Toronto to win this year after general manager J.P. Ricciardi spent millions to acquire A.J. Burnett, B.J. Ryan, Glaus, Bengie Molina and Lyle Overbay in the offseason.

Ricciardi chastised the Blue Jays just before the All-Star break, saying his 3-4-5 hitters were killing the club. Center fielder Vernon Wells objected to the comments when asked about them at the All-Star game.
Old 07-20-06, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Now that the Blue Jays are falling behind the Red Sox and Yankees, the front office is in full panic mode.

The personality conflict between Gibbons and Hillenbrand finally resolved itself in an unpleasant way. This will do wonders to heal the clubhouse that was already pissed off at Ricciardi for his comments before the All Star games.

The Yankees series is crucial to see whether the Blue Jays need to be buying or selling before the non-waiver trading deadline.
Old 07-20-06, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you burn bridges with 2 different teams, maybe the problem is not with teams, but that you're an asshole.
Old 07-20-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
When you burn bridges with 2 different teams, maybe the problem is not with teams, but that you're an asshole.
I was about to say the same thing. This is the guy who got traded from the playoff contending Red Sox to the last place D backs and promptly said that he was happy to be on a team where the players "actually knew how to play baseball"....
Old 07-20-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems that the whole clash started when Hillenbrand wrote on the team's blackboard that this was a "sinking ship" as a joke. When Gibbons got a wind of it, he set up a players meeting and found out that it was Hillenbrand that wrote the note and began the screaming match.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home
Old 07-20-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
So where's the part where the Toronto Blue Jays have no class?
Old 07-20-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77
So where's the part where the Toronto Blue Jays have no class?
School's out for summer!
Old 07-20-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They're going to have a guy finish in the top 5 in MVP voting and Cy Young voting and not even sniff the playoffs, with a pretty high payroll. Pretty weak.
Old 07-20-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if Shea will go on the radio and call J.P. Ricciardi a faggot or was that just something special he did to Theo Epstein in Boston.
Old 07-20-06, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cleaver
They're going to have a guy finish in the top 5 in MVP voting and Cy Young voting and not even sniff the playoffs, with a pretty high payroll. Pretty weak.
Umm, high relative to what? The Jays are in the middle of the pack:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5476130

The Angels spend $30 million more, have a worse record but still have a better chance at the playoff because the West sucks.

Or better yet, how about them Cubs? Dodgers? Braves? Phillies? Mariners? There's a lot weaker teams out there.
Old 07-21-06, 11:56 AM

1) I do not see how this shows not having class, if he wrote this is a sinking ship on the blackboard he deserved to be chastised. Morale is huge in baseball, and it can even help teams rally around better teams. If he loved his teammates so much I would have suggested something more appropriate.
2) The Jays are 11 games over .500 and have a mid sized payroll, they are playing pretty well if you ask me, and injuries have been more of a problem than anything.
3) Walk off homerun in the 11th inning last night...eat me shea hillenbrand cause the boat just got a hell of a lot more bouyant by throwing your ego off.
Old 07-21-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mautos
1) I do not see how this shows not having class, if he wrote this is a sinking ship on the blackboard he deserved to be chastised. Morale is huge in baseball, and it can even help teams rally around better teams. If he loved his teammates so much I would have suggested something more appropriate.
Agreed. But if that message is written by anyone else, it may have resulted in a stern personal sit-down with Gibbons. This is a snapshot of life with Hillenbrand. This is not Shea vs. Gibbons, but Shea vs. anyone who doesn't do things Shea's way. To say that this shows a lack of class is to ignore the consistent lack of class that he has exhibited throughout his career. He's a flat-out bad team guy, and despite Wells' comments, he apparently wasn't exactly raved about in that clubhouse. I think it's a great move.
Old 07-21-06, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Agreed. But if that message is written by anyone else, it may have resulted in a stern personal sit-down with Gibbons. This is a snapshot of life with Hillenbrand. This is not Shea vs. Gibbons, but Shea vs. anyone who doesn't do things Shea's way. To say that this shows a lack of class is to ignore the consistent lack of class that he has exhibited throughout his career. He's a flat-out bad team guy, and despite Wells' comments, he apparently wasn't exactly raved about in that clubhouse. I think it's a great move.
I think you read my post wrong, I meant that I don't see how it shows the Jays have no class. I agree he should have been released, good for the Jays for not putting up with his crap.
Old 07-21-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mautos
I think you read my post wrong, I meant that I don't see how it shows the Jays have no class. I agree he should have been released, good for the Jays for not putting up with his crap.
Nope, I was responding to the title, and I agree wholeheartedly with you. Sorry if I left that impression.
Old 07-21-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be very impressed with Ricciardi if he is able to trade Hillenbrand and get somebody of value after this "debacle".
Old 07-22-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

14 teams have lower payrolls than the Blue Jays...

W/L Better than Jays - Twins,
W/L Worse than Jays - Marlins, Devils Rays, Rockies, Pirates, Royals, Brewers, Indians, Diamondbacks, Reds, A's, Nationals, Rangers, Padres

15 teams have higher payrolls than the Blue Jays
W/L Better than Jays - Tigers, Cardinals, Mets, White Sox, Yankees, Red Sox
W/L Worse than Jays - Orioles, Phillies, Mariners, Giants, Braves, Astros, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels

So the Jays have a better W/L record than 93% of teams with a lower payroll than them, and 60% of the teams with a higher payroll than them.

That, when you consider that the Jays have to play in one of the top two toughest divisions in MLB (a division that has produced half of the World Series winners in the past decade). If they Jays had the extra $50 mil the Red Sox have, or the extra $120 million the Yankees have, the Jays would be laughing...
Old 07-22-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very impressive....unfortunately they still won't make the playoffs.

-p
Old 07-22-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Not one person from the front office has even come up to congratulate me," he said. "It's all the little people like you guys. But nobody from higher up. That's a disgrace."

What an arrogant prick.

"Those of you beneath me appreciate me and worship me as you should, but those who are my peers (though even they are below me) do not give me my proper due."
Old 07-23-06, 01:44 PM

the funniest part of this thread is saying the jays wont make the play offs

st. louis, see you in october!
Old 07-23-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kris81
the funniest part of this thread is saying the jays wont make the play offs

st. louis, see you in october!

Now that's the funniest thing in this thread.

= J
Old 07-23-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino

Now that's the funniest thing in this thread.

= J
Im not sure which part you're referring to, though.. the St. Louis part or the Toronto part. They're both equally hilarious!
Old 07-25-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts
The Bluejays have no class? Thornton Mellon approves!