Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the respectability of the NBA at an all-time low?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-21-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like the average/casual sports fan now laughs at the NBA. No other sport looks more contrived, manipulated and scripted than the NBA. Are we going to read books in 5-10 years about David Stern fixing or influencing games?

Only the NBA could fuck this up. Only the NBA refs get this much heat (FIFA and NFL are close seconds).

I now hate Dwayne Wade too soley based on the fact that the guy won a championship by exploating the refs. And I really liked Dwayne Wade...how could you not like him? I love his game and love(d) him as a player, but only the NBA could make me hate him. Why must we be subjected this type of non team/foul go-to-the-line basketball?

Side note, if anyone hasn't read this, it's a must read by Bill Simmons regarding the NBA: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060620
Old 06-21-06, 04:40 PM
Suspended

There is NOTHING that Bill Simmons wrote that is a "must read"
Old 06-21-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
There is NOTHING that Bill Simmons wrote that is a "must read"
I'm agree
Old 06-21-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill Simmons is great... but I don't think he's arguing the games are "fixed". He's just saying that the state of refereeing is pathetic (true) and that a Miami win could very well bring the entire league down (also true).

I think the NBA needs to revisit the rules about offensive and defensive fouls. When an offensive player initiates the contact -- for example, when a defensive player leaps into he air and the offensive player jumps into him -- that should either be an offensive foul, or a no-call. If a player drives to the basket and the ball is blocked, shrug off any incidental body contact, unless it gave the defensive player a clear advantage.
Old 06-21-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No...I think the NBA lost some fans when Jordan left the game, but I think it's rebounding well. (Judging mainly on the level of water cooler talk and such around work.)

I don't think the officials are any worse than the NFL. But at least the NFL has replay. So...fixes some mistakes. (Not saying NBA should have replay. Diff game. NBA replay would suck.)
Old 06-21-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always enjoyed and followed the NBA closely, but I thought most casual NBA fans considered this NBA season a step in the right direction. No more 80 - 76 slugfests, and a ton of good young talent. The playoffs weren't too shabby either.
Old 06-21-06, 05:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBA officials have always been terrible and favored superstar players, why is this such a huge story all of the sudden?
Old 06-21-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
NBA officials have always been terrible and favored superstar players, why is this such a huge story all of the sudden?
Because Mavericks fans are apparently extremely bitter and whine a lot?
Old 06-21-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
The NBA is on a rise after being at a low maybe 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 06-21-06, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
It seems like the average/casual sports fan now laughs at the NBA. No other sport looks more contrived, manipulated and scripted than the NBA. Are we going to read books in 5-10 years about David Stern fixing or influencing games?

Only the NBA could fuck this up. Only the NBA refs get this much heat (FIFA and NFL are close seconds).

I now hate Dwayne Wade too soley based on the fact that the guy won a championship by exploating the refs. And I really liked Dwayne Wade...how could you not like him? I love his game and love(d) him as a player, but only the NBA could make me hate him. Why must we be subjected this type of non team/foul go-to-the-line basketball?

Side note, if anyone hasn't read this, it's a must read by Bill Simmons regarding the NBA: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060620
Old 06-21-06, 05:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm a New Yorker, not a Mavs fan, but can understand why they're pissed.

The refs CLEARLY favored Wade. I've said it before, but it bears mentioning again ...

40 FREE THROW ATTEMPTS IN 2 GAMES IS RIDICULOUS!
Old 06-21-06, 05:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you attack the basket you are going to get to the free throw line, when you shoot jumpshots all game you do not. Officials will always give the calls to the more aggresive team.

That's always been the case in the NBA and even in college basketball.
Old 06-21-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't watch much NBA, but I can't believe that NBA refs are worse than college refs.
Old 06-21-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
When you attack the basket you are going to get to the free throw line, when you shoot jumpshots all game you do not. Officials will always give the calls to the more aggresive team.

That's always been the case in the NBA and even in college basketball.
Usually true, but not always. Remember the Duke vs Florida State game from this past season. Duke mainly shot jumpers and FSU took the ball to the hole and I believe that Duke outshot FSU from the foul line, something like 50-10. Duke ended up winning the game in OT. The kicker is that the game was played in Florida. The officials were so blatantly bad that the NCAA actually suspended the entire crew for a game.
Old 06-21-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the NBA is just below paint drying for watchability to me
Old 06-21-06, 06:02 PM
Retired

No, it was less respectable from the time Jordan retired until the Pistons win. The officiating might have been better, but play had largely devolved into teams relying on their one super star, and everyone else standing around and watching.

The Pistons shook that up by playing good, fundamental team ball, and now we're seeing more teams play more like that (see the Suns, Mavs etc.). So the gameplay is more respectful.

But yes, the awful officiating is a disgrace and is threatening to undo the gains the league has made gameplay wise, at least in my eyes.
Old 06-21-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Because Mavericks fans are apparently extremely bitter and whine a lot?

whining about other people's whining may just be worse.

assuming that everyone who found the officiating atrocious is a Mavs fan is ridiculous. Plus, people have been complaining about the officiating throughout the playoffs, not just this series.
Old 06-21-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PJsig08
No other sport looks more contrived, manipulated and scripted than the NBA.
Are we not counting boxing as a sport?
Old 06-21-06, 06:44 PM

well.. it's all KOBE's fault..
Old 06-21-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard Sir Charles on the radio on my drive home today. He actually had some interesting and I think good points. He was not saying that Miami got all the breaks but in the NBA as a whole there has been this shift in giving every benefit to the offensive player. There you really can't play hard defense anymore. In the past you would have one or two people averaging 30 points, now your got very mediocre players averaging 30 points.

He relayed that when MJ was in his prime he would regularly get bumped hard, arms slapped and grabbed while going to the basket. MJ would fight thru it and score and there would be no foul. Charles mentioned that if MJ was fouled like Wade was fouled MJ's PPG would have gone thru the roof.

It was interesting anyway. And yes I'm a Mavs fan, but while I hate what the refs did, I do agree with Charles that if the Mavs players had done the same thing (everyone go strong to the basket) they would have gotten some of the same calls. Mavs needed to score 108 pg and they didn't and that wasn't the refs fault. I think the Mavs got a little carried away with "we can play anyones game". They should have uptempo'd it like the Suns do and not only would they have scored more they would have received more fouls.
Old 06-21-06, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gameover2k2
well.. it's all KOBE's fault..
Sounds like you have a Kobe obsession.
Old 06-21-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No one who has posted in this thread is older than 30 (neither am I). Because in the early 80s the NBA Finals was on, hello, tape delay! They weren't shown live! More guys were on booger sugar than MLB players are on HGH. So no, it is far from an all time low.
Old 06-21-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cleaver
No one who has posted in this thread is older than 30 (neither am I).
I'm 39.
Old 06-21-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Josh Hinkle

No, it was less respectable from the time Jordan retired until the Pistons win. The officiating might have been better, but play had largely devolved into teams relying on their one super star, and everyone else standing around and watching.

The Pistons shook that up by playing good, fundamental team ball, and now we're seeing more teams play more like that (see the Suns, Mavs etc.). So the gameplay is more respectful.

But yes, the awful officiating is a disgrace and is threatening to undo the gains the league has made gameplay wise, at least in my eyes.
I pretty much agree with this. There have been other lows for the league, but the officiating is probably at its worst now. It started around the time of the Lakers three-peat and has just gotten progressively worse. It's not about being a fan of a specific team or a problem with a specific game. It's a systematic problem that is slowly turning the league into a complete joke.

Superstars have always gotten the benefit of the doubt, but comparing what happens now to Jordan is silly at best. We're long past giving the advantage to superstars on 50/50 plays and into frequent and often predictable mistakes in the biggest games, and way too often the officials are deciding outcomes and not the players. The fact that casual fans understand the names and tendancies of individual officials is a huge deal. This is about much, much more than Dwyane Wade.

In terms of talent, the NBA is experiencing wonderful growth, and for the first time since Jordan left, the league is packed with legitimate marketable superstars. And yet all anyone can talk about is how shitty the officiating is. That's a real problem.

das
Old 06-21-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I'm 39.
I'm 38.

In answer to the question, no, the NBA is not at an all time low, that was just before Bird and Magic entered the league. In fact, as has been mentioned, the NBA has had a recent influx of great young talent.

However, the NBA does have some serious issues.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.