Reload this Page >

2006 NBA offseason thread - news, trades, signings, rumors, etc

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-08-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Toronto Raptors have traded center Rafael Araujo to the Utah Jazz in exchange for Kris Humphries and Robert Whaley.
Old 06-08-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts
You can start trading players before the NBA finals are even complete?
Old 06-08-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I was thinking it was kinda weird too, since there are teams still playing, but it happened: http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/pres...de_060806.html
Old 06-08-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zach Randolph gets busted for being a passenger in a car that was racing downtown late night. Both cars were registered to him. Also, there were guns under the seat, although they were both registered and he has a permit.
Old 06-08-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah what the hell was Zach Randolph thinking? Doesn't he have enough money now to buy his own racetrack?
Old 06-09-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as it doesn't involve teams that are still playing, I believe...
Old 06-09-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, a Portland Trailblazer getting in trouble with the law. Shocking how some things never change.

I had no idea they could trade players already. Really hope the Spurs can make some kind of move to help themselves this offseason.
Old 06-09-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Spurs will be looking to add a David Robinson type player to help Duncan. A defensive presence who can score in the paint and rebound. They are probably not gonna re-sign Nazr. They have enough pieces to pull off a decent trade too. Free agent Joel Pryzbilla would be a great fit for them. He's underrated playing in NBA- Siberia (Portland). He's a very good rebounder and shot blocker and could put up decent numbers offensively alongside Duncan.

The Pistons are rumored to be interested in Bonzi Wells, Maurice Williams, Mike James, Speedy Claxton, Bobby Jackson,and Juan Dixon to name a few. I hope they take a look at Joel Pryzbilla.
Old 06-10-06, 01:12 AM

is sprewell retiring? will any team meet his contract demands?
Old 06-10-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmal2003
The Spurs will be looking to add a David Robinson type player to help Duncan. A defensive presence who can score in the paint and rebound. They are probably not gonna re-sign Nazr.
From what I am hearing there is no probably about it. Nazr is gone and was gone before the season really started. I don't think the Spurs want a big 7 footer though. From what I keep reading they want a quick rebounding power forward to play with Duncan at center against the quicker teams like Phoenix and Dallas. Kind of what they had with Malik Rose. They can play that guy or Nesterovic along with Duncan depending on the matchups. Who knows how things will shake out though.
Old 06-10-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
From what I am hearing there is no probably about it. Nazr is gone and was gone before the season really started. I don't think the Spurs want a big 7 footer though. From what I keep reading they want a quick rebounding power forward to play with Duncan at center against the quicker teams like Phoenix and Dallas. Kind of what they had with Malik Rose. They can play that guy or Nesterovic along with Duncan depending on the matchups. Who knows how things will shake out though.
Reggie Evans might be a good choice for them then.
Old 06-10-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gmal2003
The Pistons are rumored to be interested in Bonzi Wells, Maurice Williams, Mike James, Speedy Claxton, Bobby Jackson,and Juan Dixon to name a few. I hope they take a look at Joel Pryzbilla.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...331/1127/rss13

My peepsare telling me some familiar names are linked to the Pistons as they look to retool.

Pistons president Joe Dumars has said his goal this offseason is to re-sign unrestricted free-agent center Ben Wallace and keep his starting five intact. Beyond that, Dumars said he just wants to add some firepower from the bench.

How about Bonzi Wells , Grant Hill and Jalen Rose ?

Dumars can't speak about Hill and Rose because they are under contract with their respective teams. Wells, originally drafted by the Pistons, is a free agent.

Moles say Wells is the most likely to sign. Wells appeared ticketed for Auburn Hills last offseason. Many expected Memphis would buy him out of the last year of his contract. Instead, he was traded to Sacramento.

Last season, he averaged 13.6 points and seven rebounds off the bench. In the playoffs, he went wild, averaging 23 points and 12 rebounds in six games. He also shot a whopping 60 percent. The Pistons could have used that against the Heat.

Hill's return isn't a pipe dream. He left the Pistons in a sign-and-trade deal with the Magic that netted him a seven-year, $92 million contract.

Moles believe Hill, who finally appears to be healthy, would love the chance to return to Detroit in a reduced role and allow his wife to be closer to her family in Windsor. For that to happen, the Magic would have to buy him out of the last year of his deal.

Rose, a Detroit native, would need the Knicks to buy out his contract -- $16.9 million.
Old 06-11-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would love to see Hill coming in to play a small role off of the bench - specifically to run the offense while Chauncey sits. If he could sit for say 50 or so games and then come back to get in shape and play the playoffs, much like Lindsey Hunter did this year, I think that would work fine.

Wells, minus the attitude, would also be nice. However, the Pistons really need a low post scorer off the bench in the mold of Memhet Okur or Corlis Williamson - one of the main reasons they won in 2004.
Old 06-11-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That would be an outstanding move if the Pistons added Wells or my man JRose (my favorite college player of all time). Not so sure on Hill - sitting on the bench in street clothes wouldn't really help Detroit
Old 06-11-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celt...format=&page=2

The hottest rumor to break out of the draft camp in Orlando, Fla., had Indiana looking to break up the ship.

The Pacers reportedly have talked to Toronto about trading Jermaine OíNeal to the Raptors for some sort of package that would include the No. 1 pick. The Pacers, clearly looking to make a fresh start, would then take Morrison.

Indiana may also be talking with the point guard-starved Timberwolves about a Jamaal Tinsley-for-Ricky Davis swap.
Old 06-11-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Wow, a Portland Trailblazer getting in trouble with the law. Shocking how some things never change.
Seriously, what the hell is going on over there?
Old 06-11-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Seriously, what the hell is going on over there?
They did revamp their team a few years ago, but still did not get it right. Now, there are talks about Randolph, Miles, Telfair, plus others all being on the trading block.
Old 06-11-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hill's return isn't a pipe dream. He left the Pistons in a sign-and-trade deal with the Magic that netted him a seven-year, $92 million contract.

Moles believe Hill, who finally appears to be healthy, would love the chance to return to Detroit in a reduced role and allow his wife to be closer to her family in Windsor. For that to happen, the Magic would have to buy him out of the last year of his deal.

If this were to happen, I would be pissed! The magic were screwed over by the Hill deal. I know it wasn't his fault but, I would be pissed if he played meaningful time for detroit after soaking up so much of our payroll..
Old 06-14-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This would be a really good trade for the Lakers. They get Roy, the #16, a trade exception, major cap room in 2007 and still have the #26 this year, the MLE, the LLE, and Mihm to trade for a decent player.

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1341

DraftExpress.com - According to Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com, Phil Jackson believes Brandon Roy is the perfect player for the triangle offense and so the Lakers are talking with teams in the top 5 about trading up.

One rumor has them sending Lamar Odom to Chicago in return for the rights to the #2 and #16 picks.

This trade might have to be consummated after the draft, when Chicago has cap space to take on a bigger contract. Moving Odomís $40 million contract would give the Lakers room to explore the talented free agent class of 2007. This may be where the obvious Brandon Roy to Chicago at #2 smokescreen started from
Old 06-14-06, 03:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Isiah would be the only GM dumb enough to make that trade.

Paxson and Skiles both hate players like Odom, no chance that trade happens.
Old 06-14-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't the Lakers already have major cap room freed up for 2007, and didn't most of the possible top free agents for that year already re-sign?
Old 06-14-06, 03:52 PM

Does that really say Odom for the #2 and #16? That is one of the most lopsided deals I've ever seen. There must be other pieces.
Old 06-14-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't the Lakers already have major cap room freed up for 2007, and didn't most of the possible top free agents for that year already re-sign?
Kobe, Lamar, and Kwame themselves take up $42 million already in 2007.

Free agents in 2007 include Lebron, Nowitzki, Wade, Carmelo, Diaw, Billups, Bosh, Rashard Lewis, Nocioni, Darko, Josh Howard, Hinrich, Pietrus, Bibby, TJ Ford, Vince Carter, Ridnour, Barbosa, Boykins, Magliore,.... The Lakers getting any 2 of those players would be huge.
Old 06-14-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Kobe, Lamar, and Kwame themselves take up $42 million already in 2007.

Free agents in 2007 include Lebron, Nowitzki, Wade, Carmelo, Diaw, Billups, Bosh, Rashard Lewis, Nocioni, Darko, Josh Howard, Hinrich, Pietrus, Bibby, TJ Ford, Vince Carter, Ridnour, Barbosa, Boykins, Magliore,.... The Lakers getting any 2 of those players would be huge.
Found the article that I read a while back, which apparently misinformed me:
http://archive.sportingnews.com/excl...25/634751.html

The Lakers are trying to restrict free-agent contracts to two years in hopes of keeping salary cap space for the summer of 2007. The obvious targets would be young big men such as C Yao Ming and F/C Amare Stoudemire, and it's no secret the Lakers have an eye on signing one of them. That pipe dream will end this summer, when both players sign maximum-dollar extensions and go off the '07 market. It's always wise to save cap space, but in the meantime, the Lakers missed out on G Antonio Daniels because they did not want to include a third year. With Phil Jackson on the sideline for just three years, the Lakers should focus on winning immediately. . . .
I guess he meant the '06 free agents. Which still doesn't make sense, because I think Brian Grant's contract still counts against the cap next year, even if it doesn't count for luxury tax purposes.
Old 06-14-06, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jigga6286
Does that really say Odom for the #2 and #16? That is one of the most lopsided deals I've ever seen. There must be other pieces.
Yep, which is exactly why it was suggested by the Lakers.

I dont think that Odom is worth the 16th pick, even in this weak draft.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.