2006 NBA Finals - Mavericks vs. Heat

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2006 NBA Finals - Mavericks vs. Heat

Old 06-20-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 211 Likes on 181 Posts
I just got back to my hotel...

1st - Congrats to Miami Wade fan. No excuses, you guys should get the trophy
2nd - Congrats to the Mavs. Avery said it best "not a single person predicted it would be Miami v. Dallas
3rd - I'm still a MFFL (Mavs Fan For Life)
4th - I did not see a single minute of the game. I ended up going for a quick drink after work with a friend and the weather was so nice in Austin (where I'm working) we stayed for several hours.
Finally - Lets go COWBOYS!
Old 06-20-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts
There were some bullshit calls, like the foul in Dirk at the end (a guy runs into you with his forearm up and it's a foul on you?) and Payton grabbing Terry's jersey (you call the foul at the end of game 5 but not that one???).

But, nevertheless, the Mavs had every opportunity to win, they just missed too many buckets. I mean, Terry had an open look to tie the game at the end! Nobody to blame but themselves.

I like Wade, but can't stand Riley and Zo. Feel nothing one way or the other about the rest of the charcters...

The only thing I can say is this: I cannot believe there is only one post in here about Stack's block of Haslem!!! I mean, if the Mavs won this game, that play would be talked about for years. A power forward goes in for a 2 handed power slam and gets denied by a GF swingman??? Wow.
Old 06-21-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit this....'Zo's ESPN press conference....very good. I still think he was an ass about the Nets and Raptors thing....but I gotta give him props for all of the work he has done for kidney patients.

-p
Old 06-21-06, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
2nd - Congrats to the Mavs. Avery said it best "not a single person predicted it would be Miami v. Dallas
Avery Johnson didn't read my post in the playoff predictions thread before the playoffs started. Get with the picture Avery!
Old 06-21-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lemme know how that whole T.O. thing goes for you guys.

-p

ps. Avery Johnson is indeed a class act (response to an earlier post). I really hope (and believe) he'll win a championship as a coach.
Old 06-21-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoffreyL
I don't know. It could be an interesting offseason around the league. Also will Mourning retire now that he has a ring? If so that hurts Miamis inside presence greatly. Does Miami keep Walker?
I would guess that Payton will also retire.
Old 06-21-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Miami fans are happy and the Heat deserve it. I really hope this is the end of the road for Miami though. You have to wonder if Mourning retires now and other pieces start to slip away, including fat Shaq, who really didn't have a good playoffs. I do hate Kobe however, and Shaq just put his foot up Kobe's and all of LA's ass for clearly making the wrong decision about who to ship out of town.

I still think this is one of the worst NBA finals there has been and that both teams had their best series vs. other teams and not each other. This was not the exciting match up that some people predicted and I would really have loved to see two champions slug it out rather than this version of rookie vs. rookie. There's something about beating the Spurs or Lakers to claim the title that just tastes better then beating the Mavs. The officiating was a blight on this series and really needs to be addressed.

Oh well, good for Miami Shaq and Wade (and Riley). Makes me sick that Mourning, Payton, Walker and Williams get to taste this when they are pretty much the all crap team. Shaq really is THAT good that he can carry anyone to a title, because as all of LA knows now, none of this happens without him being there.
Old 06-21-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Paul Silas was on Sportscenter who was talking throughout the higlights....but good lord!!

I think this guy is high AND retarded....Coach??

Originally Posted by Paul Silas Quotes

Dirk....some back door action!

They played really....................................well. (or something like that)

Yeah uh, that guy can shoot it....and got fouled.

Shimmy Shimmy, Coco-pop!!!

He (Shaq) wanted it...SO BAD!

(inaudible).....he can make a 3-pt!

Here I come to save the day! (singing)

I didn't know he can get up that high anymore!

They got lucky!!
-p
Old 06-21-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts
Bill Simmons had a great column today: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060620

In retrospect, he completely nailed this series, how it might play out. Some highlights:

I tackled this in a Cowbell blog last year, but it's worth rehashing again: The NBA doesn't fix games. That's impossible. And stupid. It could never happen. (Well, except for the Hubert Davis game -- that was fixed. Just kidding. Kind of.) A few months ago, I looked David Stern in the eye and asked him about the ongoing officiating problems, and he seemed agonized enough about it that I actually believed him. Unless he was pulling a DeNiro-level acting performance on me. Which I doubt. But there are three major problems here.

First, Dwyane Wade shot as many free throws (25) as the entire Dallas team in Game 5. I just don't see how there's any way this can happen in a fairly-called game. It's theoretically impossible.

Second, everyone knew the officiating would be a problem heading into this series because of Cuban's past problems with the league. In my Finals preview, I wrote that "No team depends on the refs quite like the Heat. When the refs are calling all the bumps on Shaq and protecting Wade on every drive, they're unstoppable. When they're calling everything fairly, they're eminently beatable. If they're not getting any calls, they're just about hopeless. I could see the refs swinging two games in Miami's favor during this series, possibly three. In fact, I'm already depressed about it and the series hasn't even started yet." Well, we had our two games -- Game 3 (the last five minutes were just obscene) and Game 5 (again, a top-five debacle). And the series isn't over yet.

Third, here's a theory on referees that I described in a blog last spring:

"I don't think the NBA fixes games, but they have one trick that they use for situations like this -- when they want a home team to win the game, they invariably assign the worst referees possible to that game for two reasons: Bad referees have a tendency to get swayed by the home crowd, and bad referees never have the stones to make a tough call on the road. In a related story, I went to 35 Clippers games this year and kept a list of the referees in my pocket which I also used to follow the referees for any televised games. And yes, the referees in the NBA -- as a whole -- have never been worse. But there were six referees that stuck out as being especially terrible."

Then I went on to list the worst six referees. Here was No. 2 on the list:

"2. Bennett Salvatore -- Always one of the worst, he took it to another level this season. If you see him on the court at the start of the game, get ready for about six technicals, two near-brawls and both coaches having to be restrained by their assistants at various times."

Why is this relevant? Not only did Salvatore officiate Game 4 of the Suns-Lakers series (the one where Kobe tied it at the end of regulation and won it at the end of OT on two shaky non-calls on Nash, both by Salvatore), not only did Salvatore officiate Sunday night's Game 5 (in which Miami had a 40-12 free-throw advantage at one point), but Salvatore called the foul on Wade's final drive in overtime (remember, the call where ABC couldn't find a replay to show that anyone touched him?) even though he was standing at midcourt a full 35-40 feet from the play, and even though two other refs were closer to the play. Not only was that NOT his call, he butchered it.

Considering I brought this up LAST spring, do you find any of this a little strange? Why aren't the best referees calling these games? Why do the worst ones always seem to get assigned to games in which it would be better for the league if the home team won? Why am I the only one who notices this stuff or seems to care? Why do I find myself watching these games and concentrating more on the one-sided officiating than some of Wade's spectacular plays? As my buddy House e-mailed on Monday morning: "I don't think I can take much more of NBA refs insisting on controlling the outcomes of the most significant games. The NBA is a disgrace and should be completely embarrassed. I hate this game."
Old 06-21-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Lemme know how that whole T.O. thing goes for you guys.

-p

ps. Avery Johnson is indeed a class act (response to an earlier post). I really hope (and believe) he'll win a championship as a coach.

Hey, TO will be just fine....for the first year anyway Beside, I have a popcorn maker so I got plenty of popcorn (obscure TO reference).

Yes Avery is "the Man". There are so many interesting things with the Mavs. You realize Shaq could have been a Mav? LA considered trading the Mavs for Dirk, but Dallas nixed it pretty quickly. You think that would have been silly? Well if they would have traded Dirk for Shaq they would have very likely kept Steve Nash. So you would have had Nash and Shaq on the court together. IMHO, I'm glad they didn't make that trade. But it is an interesting thought....
Old 06-21-06, 12:34 AM
Banned

Hey, TO will be just fine....for the first year anyway Beside, I have a popcorn maker so I got plenty of popcorn (obscure TO reference).

Yes Avery is "the Man". There are so many interesting things with the Mavs. You realize Shaq could have been a Mav? LA considered trading the Mavs for Dirk, but Dallas nixed it pretty quickly. You think that would have been silly? Well if they would have traded Dirk for Shaq they would have very likely kept Steve Nash. So you would have had Nash and Shaq on the court together. IMHO, I'm glad they didn't make that trade. But it is an interesting thought....
If that indeed happen, Dirk, Steve, and Shaq would possibly gotten a Championship
Old 06-21-06, 12:36 AM
Banned

1st - Congrats to Miami Wade fan. No excuses, you guys should get the trophy
3rd - I'm still a MFFL (Mavs Fan For Life)
4th - I did not see a single minute of the game. I ended up going for a quick drink after work with a friend and the weather was so nice in Austin (where I'm working) we stayed for several hours.
Good to see a class act instead of complaining about the refs, props to you man, you are a real fan!
Old 06-21-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, everyone PLEASE read Bill Simmons' article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060620

This league is losing a lot of credibility. Here's a thought: NBA Conspiracy to create new NBA Star. It's not even funny, this really is the most F'ed up the league has ever looked.
Old 06-21-06, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Good to see a class act instead of complaining about the refs, props to you man, you are a real fan!
Yeah, sure sounds like a real fan...
Old 06-21-06, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Yes, everyone PLEASE read Bill Simmons' article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060620

This league is losing a lot of credibility. Here's a thought: NBA Conspiracy to create new NBA Star.
Oh god I'm SICK of it. The Mavericks could've easily won at least 2 of the games that they lost. If the Mavs didn't fuck shit up and won those two games, would the NBA still be "losing credibility"? The Miami Heat beat the Mavs in FOUR STRAIGHT GAMES. It's gotta take more than a conspiracy for the Mavs to allow themselves to lose FOUR STRAIGHT GAMES. Dallas had this thing, and they blew it! Give Miami some fucking credit!

Originally Posted by PJsig08
It's not even funny, this really is the most F'ed up the league has ever looked.
To me, the most "F'ed" up the league ever looked was the half season when the Spurs won the title. Not that they didn't deserve it. But the half season just ruined the legitimacy of it if you ask me.

The league right now is the best it has ever been since the mid to late 90s.

Last edited by Johnny Boy; 06-21-06 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kerborus
Shaq really is THAT good that he can carry anyone to a title, because as all of LA knows now, none of this happens without him being there.

Replace Wade with an average 2 guard and Miami has no chance to win.

Replace Shaq with an average center and they still got a shot.

That's hardly carrying...

But your entire premise is flawed...he can carry ANYONE to a title...how about the Bobcats? Or George Mason...I bet Jai Lewis would be a killer 6th man
Old 06-21-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Congrats to Kobe for...oh wait I thought this was a Lakers thread, with all the Kobe posts and all.

I half expected Shaq to talk shit about his 4th title, but now I remember why I wanted the Heat to lose: The arrogant Kobe/Laker haters turned Heat fans.

Congrats to Shaq, congrats to Riley.

I still say Shaq will eventually get tired of Wade. He's just getting better and better (just like Kobe did when he played with Shaq) and pretty soon, it'll be Shaq vs Wade.
Old 06-21-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerborus
Shaq really is THAT good that he can carry anyone to a title, because as all of LA knows now, none of this happens without him being there.
Yes, Shaq is good. But the fact is that the Lakers never won before Phil. If Shaq was so good, why didn't he carry Kobe to a title in the 4 years he played with him w/o Phil? The Lakers contended the whole way, but never got out of the WCF's.

The fact is the Lakers won because Shaq, Kobe, and Phil all were a part of it. Look at their 3 titles, and examine some of the games. It wasn't just Shaq dominating every game. Kobe stepped up as well, and carried the team when he had to.
Old 06-21-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats to the 2006 NBA champion Miami Heat! and to the Mavs for knocking off the Spurs who were the defending NBA champs, and to go all the way to the NBA finals. What a great year for both NBA franchises, making the NBA finals for the 1st time ever. Wade was spectacular, but he got so many bs calls by the refs. Shaq was Shaq, but not the Shaq of old imo. So imo the Heat should really enjoy this NBA championship while they can because repeating is so damn hard.

I honestly believe that the Spurs should be the favorites to win it all in 2007. I am not a huge Spurs fan but the Spurs would have beaten both the Suns and Heat had they gotten by the Mavs, and they almost did. The Mavs just got lucky in game 7 against the Spurs, and they have an NBA finals loss to prove it now. So with the Spurs getting rest they will be finely tuned and well oiled for an NBA title run.

So, we may be looking at Spurs/Heat in the NBA finals next June, the last 2 NBA champions.
Old 06-21-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Miami in 6.
Old 06-21-06, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Boy
Oh god I'm SICK of it. The Mavericks could've easily won at least 2 of the games that they lost. If the Mavs didn't fuck shit up and won those two games, would the NBA still be "losing credibility"? The Miami Heat beat the Mavs in FOUR STRAIGHT GAMES. It's gotta take more than a conspiracy for the Mavs to allow themselves to lose FOUR STRAIGHT GAMES. Dallas had this thing, and they blew it! Give Miami some fucking credit!
Exactly. I love Avery Johnson and I really wanted they Mavs to win the series, but they flat out blew it. The officiating was not the cause of them losing a 13 point lead in game three and they had plenty of chances to win game 5 and game 6 with just another clutch shot or play down the stretch. To me the series was lost because Dallas fell in love with the three and the long jumpers and Miami attacked the rim.

Wade did get bailed out a few times, but you have to give him credit for being aggresive and attacking the basket. BTW, all superstar players get calls like that when they attack the rim. Dirk got many calls like that during the playoff run.

As far as the Spurs should have been there stuff, believe me the Mavs were a better team this year. The Spurs struggled all year and were not as good as their record indicated. They won 63 games and a large part of the media in San Antonio was picking against them making it to the Finals. For the Spurs to get back to the Finals Manu Ginobili has to get healthy and has to start playing the way he did in 2005 and the Spurs have to find a rebounder to play along side Duncan.

Last edited by darkside; 06-21-06 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's sickening watching Riley, Mourning, Payton, and Walker get a championship, but I'm happy for Shaq. Kobe never won a thing without Shaq now. While Wade was the MVP, the Heat wouldn't have made it past the first round without Shaq. The whole defensive scheme would change and teams would double and triple team Wade just like Kobe. When Shaq retires the Heat will probablly be like the current Lakers, but with Wade not as selfish as Kobe. Watch out Heat, my Bulls are coming for your next year!!!!
Old 06-21-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow.. That was a TIGHT ending.. I can't believe that Wade missed TWO free throws and Terry actually had an open shot to tie the game!!! Man I wish he would have made that just so they could have went to OT. Would have been nice to see a game 7..

Congrats HEAT.. Dallas couldn't buy a bucket at the end..
Old 06-21-06, 07:36 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
It wasn't just Shaq dominating every game. Kobe stepped up as well, and carried the team when he had to.
Point is that Kobe is a cocky prick and wanted to prove that he could win a title without Shaq. Shaq never expressed similar sentiments that I heard, and often deferred credit to Kobe, just as he did Wade last night.

As such, I'm happy to see that Kobe sat at home last year, while Shaq went to the conference finals, and sat home after the first round this year (and blowing a 3-1 lead no less) while Shaq has his 4th ring.

Shaq= wants to win championships more than anything else.
Kobe= cares more about his numbers and would rather win a championship on his "own" rather than have kept playing with Shaq or another dominant player.
Old 06-21-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by magicmanej

Yeah, sure sounds like a real fan...
Hey...now...what was that for? I'm a true fan. Yea I missed a game. I've been stuck in a hotel for several weeks and had a chance to get out and get some air. My plan was to have a drink or two and watch the 2nd half. But enjoyed the weather so much, didn't happen.

The only reason I said I didn't see a minute of the game was to qualify why I wasn't going to comment on the game itself. I had already "heard" a lot of crap and stuff, but since I didn't see the game 1st hand, I wasn't going to comment.

Beside, I agree AS A MFFL, we should have won game 3. Dallas has done that before. We haven't truely learned the "knock out blow". Also, while I do think the refs were terrible, I think the Dallas offense was terrible in the entire series. If you told me Dallas would only score 100 points in one game and that was OT, I would have said Dallas would get swept 4-0. To win Dallas needed to score about 108 PPG. And that is something they can easily do. While I think the refs do need a looking at, if Dallas had scored anywhere near their season average of points, it would have never come down to that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.