2006 World Cup (Football)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-02-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean soccer
I know its not as popular in the US as the UK and other countries, but will it be shown over there? Have the USA team qualified?

Starts on June 9, lasts until July 9 I'm off on holiday to Greece at weekend, just in time to see England's first game. However, Greece havent qualified for this tournament so not sure how popular it will be
Old 06-02-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USA!!!! USA!!!

ECUADOR!!! ECUADOR!!!!

the only teams i am rooting for
Old 06-04-06, 08:26 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Brit here now residing in NC.

Yes, the USA did qualify for the World Cup and have been drawn in Group E with Italy, Czech Republic and Ghana. It's a tough group, but I believe they have a chance. If they can get anything from the Italy or Czech games, then I think they'll qualify out of the group.

As for TV coverage - it's getting the full treatment here. ESPN, ESPN 2 & ABC are covering all the games live. Most group games are KO at 9am and 3pm EST here. Thank God for DVR so I can record those that I can't watch.

Gotta get my footy fix!!
Old 06-04-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really don't want the US to do anything good in the WC. I don't think the Americans have enough respect for the game to deserve to make it out of the 1st round.

I'll be rooting for the Czechs.

Does anyone have a tv schedule for us Yanks? I just downloaded the main schedules
Round 1
Post round 1
But have no idea what is going to be show on TV.
Old 06-04-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, google is ever so friendly. Complete US TV Schedule for the WC and without checking the schedules against eachother, I believe we're getting every game broadcast. Though I'm sure with the length of the games we will be missing a lot for the necessity that is commercials.
Old 06-04-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Ah, google is ever so friendly. Complete US TV Schedule for the WC and without checking the schedules against eachother, I believe we're getting every game broadcast. Though I'm sure with the length of the games we will be missing a lot for the necessity that is commercials.
All the games in the 2006 World Cup will be shown LIVE on either ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. All games in the 2006 World Cup will be shown without commercial interruption during the run of play. There will be commercials during pregame/halftime and postgame but once the first/second half/extra time/penalty kicks begin-there will be no commercials. We will not miss any game action due to commercials. There may have been one or two or three exceptions to this but 99% of the time - this has been the way the television networks (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/Fox Sports World/whoever) in the United States has televised soccer - started before the 1994 World Cup. In fact no commercial interruption was one of the reasons why the United States got chosen to host. FIFA wanted the host nation to not interrupt the run of the play by taking commercials and ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 quickly said yes.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 06-04-06 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 11:31 PM

Go Sweden!
Old 06-04-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
FIFA wanted the host nation to not interrupt the run of the play by taking commercials and ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 quickly said yes.
How ABC/ESPN did it was by mentioning the sponsor's name during the actual game telecast. I think ABC/ESPN wanted to go split-screen during commercials but I think FIFA rejected that suggestion.
Old 06-04-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They better air these games in HD
Old 06-05-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
All the games in the 2006 World Cup will be shown LIVE on either ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. All games in the 2006 World Cup will be shown without commercial interruption during the run of play. There will be commercials during pregame/halftime and postgame but once the first/second half/extra time/penalty kicks begin-there will be no commercials. We will not miss any game action due to commercials. There may have been one or two or three exceptions to this but 99% of the time - this has been the way the television networks (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/Fox Sports World/whoever) in the United States has televised soccer - started before the 1994 World Cup. In fact no commercial interruption was one of the reasons why the United States got chosen to host. FIFA wanted the host nation to not interrupt the run of the play by taking commercials and ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 quickly said yes.

LB...
Can't wait until Friday.

Question: I think I remember seeing on ESPN that the games would be June 6-July 6, Did I see it wrong or are they considered to be June 6-July 6 even though the opening round doesnt start until Friday.
Old 06-05-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really don't want the US to do anything good in the WC. I don't think the Americans have enough respect for the game to deserve to make it out of the 1st round.
I'm sure the members of the U.S. squad who have busted their asses getting ready for the tournament will appreciate the seniments. Maybe if we fans start shooting our players for scoring own goals like the Columbians or commit constant acts of hooliganism like the mighty British; perhaps then we will be truly worthy of international success.
Old 06-05-06, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
OTOH, a successful run for Team USA might be exactly what it takes for soccer to gain in popularity here.
Old 06-05-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lara Means
They better air these games in HD

every game is in HD
Old 06-05-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of the World Cup, I had a chance yesterday to kick Adidas' +Teamgeist soccer ball versus a Voit soccer ball used in the Mexican professional soccer leagues. The phrase juiced ball definitely applies to the +Teamgeist ball--it really flies when kicked hard. However, when it gets really wet the ball also has a weird spin, which can cause the ball to veer off in unusual directions.
Old 06-05-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hogwash!
Old 06-05-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Americans arent respected but their skills should be... ranked 5th in all of FIFA.... thats saying something
Old 06-05-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
Americans arent respected but their skills should be... ranked 5th in all of FIFA.... thats saying something
It says that CONCACAF wins are overvalued in the rankings.
Old 06-05-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

its fine.....a win is a win.... and it makes them look good... even though no one looks at them good
Old 06-05-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait until Friday.

Question: I think I remember seeing on ESPN that the games would be June 6-July 6, Did I see it wrong or are they considered to be June 6-July 6 even though the opening round doesnt start until Friday.
You must have one of those TV's that shows all numbers being upside down-could it be the same one that adds commercials during the run of play

Its always been June 9-July 9 in the promos.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 06-05-06 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-05-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts
I'll be shouting go USA! But only because I hate the Italians even more.
Old 06-05-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed that stand-by striker Jermain Defoe of Tottenham will fly out to Germany with the England squad today. Eriksson is still confident that Wayne Rooney will play during the World Cup, but that won't be confirmed until the results of a scan on Wednesday are revealed. -- Goal.com

Ronaldo will likely miss some of Brazil's training sessions this week because of blisters on his feet. He will be ready for Brazil's World Cup opener against Croatia on June 13 in Berlin, coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said in Geneva yesterday. -- Toronto Star

Andriy Shevchenko and Serhiy Rebrov should be fit to start for Ukraine's final friendly match this week against Luxembourg, coach Oleg Blokhin said on Monday. Neither player is likely to start in Monday's match against Libya. -- eurosports.com

Australia striker Mark Viduka has announced he may quit international football after the tournament for family reasons. The Socceroos captain -- who played in Sunday's draw with the Netherlands -- says he is considering sacrificing his international career for the sake of his young children. -- eurosports.com

Juventus left fullback Giorgio Chiellini could be on his way to England as Arsenal has expressed its interest in the young Italian defender. The English club sees Chiellini as the perfect substitute for Ashley Cole, in case that the player decides to leave either for Chelsea or Inter, the two main candidates to sign him this summer. -- Goal.com

Chelsea must wait until after Real Madrid's presidential elections in July to find out whether the team can sign Roberto Carlos. Blues manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed his interest in the Brazilian, although Carlos' first option is to remain at the Bernabeu. -- Goal.com

Despite being regular players in the Premiership winning Chelsea side last season, club favorites Hernan Crespo and William Gallas have both turned down new contract offers from the club and are both looking to move away from North London. -- ifforums.com

Ajax has agreed terms with FC Barcelona midfielder Gabri, the 27-year old will sign a three year deal this week. The transfer will be finalized on Monday or Thursday. Rumors about Gabri moving to the Dutch capital were getting stronger after Gabri held talks with Ajax last week and now things are almost finalized. -- sportnetwork.net

Obafemi Martins could bet set for a summer move, with England looking the most likely destination. The Nigerian grabbed 13 goals last season, but he failed to really live up to expectations. -- skysports.com

Turkish UEFA Champions League contenders Fenerbahçe SK have given 21-year-old forward Kerim Zengin a three-year contract extension. -- uefa.com

Iran midfielder Mehdi Mahdavikia is ready to return to full training this week after overcoming a niggling back injury. The Hamburg man has been receiving treatment from team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt and should be able to participate with his teammates as they finalize their preparations for the June 11 opener against Mexico. -- eurosports.com

RC Celta de Vigo has started strengthening for next season's UEFA Cup by snapping up Spain midfielder Antonio Guayre from Villarreal CF. -- uefa.com
Old 06-05-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Univision will also be airing nearly every game, and since I have no cable it looks like I'll be brushing up on my (nearly nonexistent) Spanish once again. That'll be nostalgic - that's how I used to have to watch the World Cup before ABC/ESPN started airing all the games, and how I continued to watch until they stopped airing them with commercial breaks. Oh, and matches aired on ESPN2.

BTW, this page has a nice list of which matches are being aired on which station, and if you're an Andrés Cantor fan, or like me, just like to hear his voice for nostalgia value, his play by play can be heard over these radio stations. Switch over whenever someone scores.

¡Goooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw a segment on ESPN about racism in the UEFA and how FIFA will have none of it. They have stated a 3 point deduction (1 win) if players or coaches are found in violation of whatever rules they set up. Sounds strict but after seeing what some of the players over there go through I'm not against it.
Old 06-05-06, 05:15 PM

Let's get some predictions going! Who's going to win it?
Personally I REALLY have a hard time seeing anyone other than Brazil taking it. I can't remember any other team going into the Eorld Cup as bigger favourites. Amazing squad....
Dark horse: Argentina. Italy and Holland could also be contenders
Old 06-05-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brazil,no question about it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.