EPSN Releases Top 10 Point Guards of all time

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-11-06, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click Here
-------------------------------------------
Honestly, there are few I have not heard of. But I am really surprised the Gary Payton made the top 10. That makes me feel like top point guards are not common. I was also surprised to see Nash two behind Kidd. Overall though, it's a nice list and any one of them makes a team better.
Old 05-11-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Isiah Thomas is a little too high on the list.
Old 05-11-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't believe Chauncey Billups had votes.
Old 05-11-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have the stomach to ask who you hadn't heard of.

Walter Clyde should be a little higher up.

No argument on Magic. He's the best ever.
Old 05-11-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The scarriest thing is that I just realized Nash has been in the league for 10 years...I am getting old
Old 05-11-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Isiah Thomas is a little too high on the list.
Funny, I thought he was too low
Old 05-11-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No real argument with that list, Kidd should definitely be above Nash based on their careers to date.
Old 05-11-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like a solid list to me. My only issue is I don't feel Bob Cousy could have performed at that level had he played in the eras of everyone else on the list.
Old 05-11-06, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I can't believe Chauncey Billups had votes.
I can, many people are obsessing over the Pistons this year. They forget about the rest of Billups's career. I can't wait until the Heat put Billups and the Pistons in their place in the ECF (hopefully).

Isiah is too high in my opinion, but that could be due to the fact that I hate the Pistons.
Old 05-11-06, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bushdog
I'm a masochist. I need to know.
Old 05-11-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 900 Likes on 709 Posts
What, no Starbury?

And to think, the Suns once had Kidd, Kevin Johnson, and Nash all on the same team.
Old 05-11-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bushdog
If I were to take a guess... I'd say he's probably never heard of that Walter Clyde fellow.
Old 05-11-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How the hell did Scottie Pippin pick up three votes as a point guard? In what season -- hell, in what game -- did he play the point?
Old 05-11-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

uberjoe

I'm a masochist. I need to know.
Me too. These aren't obscure names here.

das
Old 05-11-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Walt Frazier - Southern Illinois University.
Old 05-11-06, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Me too. These aren't obscure names here.

das
My guess is Frazier and Tiny.
Old 05-11-06, 01:46 PM

I'm glad 'Magic' is rightfully listed at # 1. And just think how much better his stats would have been if he hadn't contracted the HIV virus. He had a least 5 more good years if that hadn't happened.

And the real crime was, he could have continued playing, healthy, with maybe just a little precaution, but people like Karl Malone simply refused to play with him.

But his post playing career has been very successful, so there is nothing to cry about there.

Chris
Old 05-11-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Same here. Lord help me.
Old 05-11-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
But his post playing career has been very successful, so there is nothing to cry about there.

Chris

TOTALLY successful.
Old 05-11-06, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
Looks like a solid list to me. My only issue is I don't feel Bob Cousy could have performed at that level had he played in the eras of everyone else on the list.
You can't hold that against him though. The best you can do is dominate the era you play in and Cousy did so.

Who knows, given a modern-day body with all his old instincts and skills he might still have done well in today's game.
Old 05-11-06, 02:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo
How the hell did Scottie Pippin pick up three votes as a point guard? In what season -- hell, in what game -- did he play the point?
Pippen played the point a lot, mostly during the second three-peat. He was primary ball handler in the triangle and his defense on Mark Jackson when Jackson played the point for the Pacers was a key reason why the Pacers could never beat them.
Old 05-11-06, 02:06 PM

Which is why I said the list is "solid." Cousy would definitely be in my top 10 because of his ability in that era. However, unlike sports such as baseball, it seems to me that the difference in talent between eras is very high. I have no doubt Gehrig would dominate if he played today. Same for Ruth, Foxx and a long list of other guys. But, when I look at older basketball players I can't help but think very few of them would be the "greats" that they were then. Someone mentioned Scottie Pippen earlier in the thread (I agree it's stupid he got a PG vote). No doubt in my mind that Cousy would have been destroyed by Pippen. I'd say the same for Cousy matching up against a lot of other more recent players.
Old 05-11-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
Which is why I said the list is "solid." Cousy would definitely be in my top 10 because of his ability in that era. However, unlike sports such as baseball, it seems to me that the difference in talent between eras is very high. I have no doubt Gehrig would dominate if he played today. Same for Ruth, Foxx and a long list of other guys. But, when I look at older basketball players I can't help but think very few of them would be the "greats" that they were then. Someone mentioned Scottie Pippen earlier in the thread (I agree it's stupid he got a PG vote). No doubt in my mind that Cousy would have been destroyed by Pippen. I'd say the same for Cousy matching up against a lot of other more recent players.
It's not a matter of talent but athletic prowess.

The reason you can see older baseball players succeeding in today's baseball is because baseball is largely a game of timing, not athletics. You can succeed in baseball while being a poor athlete (ie nearly every DH, Ruth, El Guapo, David Wells). Heck I bet some players back then smoked regularly.

That's not the case in basketball. If you're a lesser athlete then everyone around you, you will not have success in today's NBA. Which is why I don't think your comparison is a fair one.

If you want to compare basketball across eras and transport Cousy to today's NBA you have to give him a modern day body and modern day training. With that in mind, Cousy, with his talent and smarts, could certainly succeed in today's nba.
Old 05-11-06, 02:50 PM
Suspended

I definitely think that Stockton should be ahead of Isiah. Thre rest of the list I pretty much agree with though. I think that Nash will be #5 after Magic, Oscar, Stockton, and Isiah after his career is over.
Old 05-11-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 134 Posts
It's a good list, but I really don't understand how one ballot didn't have the Big O. Jim O'Brien must have decided that he didn't qualify as a PG?

As for Pippen, he never did play point []iguard[/i], he played a lot of point forward. I'm sure some gave him credit for that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.