Reload this Page >

Breaking News: ECW to Return Full Time This September

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-23-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave Scherer is reporting that WWE has made the decision to bring back Extreme Championship Wrestling as a full time entity. While all of the details remain sketchy, WWE has already sent contracts out to several former ECW talents in order to bring them in for the return of the promotion. Early reports indicate that WWE is targeting September as the date to bring ECW back full time.

There is a possibility that it will take over current OVW territory and would get matches on RAW and/or SmackDown in some manner. Former ECW owner Paul Heyman and hardcore legend Tommy Dreamer will be booking ECW.

As mentioned, the contracts that WWE have sent out are three year deals consisting of a series of one year contracts, with rollover clauses. Names that we can confirm that have been offered deals include The Sandman, Francine, and Balls Mahoney. All three of them should receive their contracts this week.
Old 04-23-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news. I think they should get their own show, though.
Old 04-23-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SWEET!! ONS was the best thing the WWE has done in the past two or three years.
Old 04-23-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats Bad news for TNA.... with ECW coming back full time..... and Paul and Tommy booking.... that spells EXTREME bad news for TNA.
Old 04-23-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, Jesus. You guys do understand this'll be a watered-down WWE take on the promotion, right? Remember "WCW" during the Invasion? Besides, garbage wrestling is passe. Most of the ECW stuff doesn't hold up very well today.
Old 04-23-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well with many wrestlers still under contract with tna, there are still many that won't join. It would be nice if this would be consitered true ecw, in the fact that they would let new guys have their chance.
Old 04-23-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
With WWE in charge of the product, I'm not getting my hopes up on this one. They could have had a gold mine with the WCW invasion angle but Vince's ego got in the way of it being the storyline of a lifetime.
Old 04-23-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am frightened about this and how many ways Vince can screw this up.
Old 04-23-06, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
Thats Bad news for TNA.... with ECW coming back full time..... and Paul and Tommy booking.... that spells EXTREME bad news for TNA.
Sorry raven but I agree with everyone else's thoughts about this....with Vince really calling the shots, it's not really ECW. Everyone won't be giving themselves real ECW matches but a watered down ECW matches.

Plus, most of the great talent from ECW are under contract in TNA or WWE. And those that have worked for WWE aren't exactly eager to work back to the WWE (I highly doubt that there will be a ECW family atmosphere) given how the WWE backstage atmosphere is...

So no, TNA shouldn't wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-23-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regardless if it's watered down or not, if they keep this as a separate entity with its own titles and such, it won't be so bad.

Look at the bright side of things. It's just another spot to showcase and give jobs to some old ECW stars and possibly new ones.

Granted Vince has the final say, i'm sure Heyman and Dreamer will try their hardest to make this a worthwhile project.
Old 04-23-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I see this as a good/bad thing for TNA. It looks like WWE was starting to get worried and brought back ECW to curtail mid carders from running to TNA. And with Heyman booking(looks like the movie industry thing didnt work out) I'm sure the product will be good.
Maybe ECW will take up the syndication slots that Afterburn, etc took up.

D
Old 04-23-06, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Oh, Jesus. You guys do understand this'll be a watered-down WWE take on the promotion, right? Remember "WCW" during the Invasion? Besides, garbage wrestling is passe. Most of the ECW stuff doesn't hold up very well today.

actually...my understanding was the opposite...he wants it run as a seperate entity and as a way to create artificial competition...additionally, u wont see top notch former ecw guys on there, as they'll be in ecw...they want to have a lot of ovw guys use it as a springboard into the wwe...theyll have the ecw matches as dark matches with some rogue ppvs as house shows....just like ecw use to be,etc...while it will never be the same...i would love a show that took risks and showed us up and coming talent!!
Old 04-23-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ECW will only be ECW again if the majority of events are mainly in the Philadelphia/New York area. I speak as one of the first people to witness ECW before they became extreme. Their base is the Philly/NY area, plain and simple.
Old 04-23-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
With WWE in charge of the product, I'm not getting my hopes up on this one. They could have had a gold mine with the WCW invasion angle but Vince's ego got in the way of it being the storyline of a lifetime.
Funny, as about 3 years before ECW went belly up, Vince was cutting Paul E checks.
Old 04-23-06, 09:23 PM

Didn't this EXACT conversation or "news" happen last year right around this time? I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 04-23-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's one of the biggest stories of the year...

Incase you missed it over the weekend, news broke that WWE plans to revive the ECW brand. The likely plan at this point is to transform OVW into ECW sometime around September. The roster will be a mix of former ECW stars and current OVW developmental talents. Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer will be heading up the ECW brand and booking it. Below are some new notes to add to the story.

- In addition to The Sandman, Balls Mahoney, and Francine, it appears that Lance Storm, Justin Credible, and Sabu have also been contacted by WWE to be part of the new ECW. Al Snow, Rob Van Dam, Kid Kash, Super Crazy, and Johnny Swinger are all also expected to be part of the brand.

- Joey Styles could be pulled from RAW and shifted to ECW while Jim Ross returns on RAW.

- The wrestlers being offered ECW deals are not being told much beyond the fact that WWE would keep them busy and the pay is basically in-line with the typical downside given to regular Raw or Smackdown wrestlers when they first sign with the company.

- There is a chance that ECW could have its own show that would be broadcast via WWE.com like how Velocity and Heat currently are. The most likely option remains that the brand will get airtime on RAW and/or Smackdown.

Credit: PWTorch.com
Old 04-24-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And on the off-chance that the new ECW becomes popular, Vince's ego will demand that Raw crush it. As was proven with the Invasion angle, a good story and a profitable angle take a backseat to Vince McMahon's ego. Anyone that thinks Dreamer and Heyman will be left alone to book this is fooling themselves.

Not to mention most of the top talent from ECW will NOT be there. No Dudleys. No Raven. No Shane Douglas.

And I don't picture guys like Benoit or RVD as being eager to go work for what will certainly be treated as a bastard stepchild promotion.
Old 04-24-06, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah...

looks like Vince is tring to stop the growing cult following of TNA with the return of ECW, and yes some fans will eat this up (like the smelly fat kid in front of me at Lockdown who felt the need to scream "EC-DUB! EC-DUB!" everytime a former ECW guy was wrestling, yet he had a WWE SUCKS sign, I tried to point out that ECW was owned by WWE so he was contradicting himself, but he didn't get it and my IQ lowered talking to the guy)

a WWE owned ECW won't be what the real ECW once was. (and I think the larger than life legend built around ECW today is much bigger than what ECW really was, I think Vince would be better off bringing back the WCW name, people actually used to watch that... but that's an arguement for another time) It's not like Team 3D, Rhino or Raven or any number of ex-ECW guys are going to be tricked back into working for WWE because of the ECW name.

it might be a big dent in TNAs armor, but nothing serious for them to worry about in the long run. As a huge TNA fan I welcome them. If Sandman and Justin Credible are going to be thier biggest star names, that's not going to touch TNA's ex-ECW star power, let alone the big names like Sting, Christian, Hardy, Steiner, ect they have plus thier homemade stars... more people already know who AJ Styles, Monty Brown or Samoa Joe is over guys like Johnny Swinger and Balls Mahoney. TNA > WWE's ECW
Old 04-24-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I'm not looking at it as a way to go against TNA (even though it may very well be).

I'm just looking at it as a way to see some old names in action and as some reports stated, some new names.
Old 04-24-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Rhino, Dudleys et al would jump at the opportunity to get a new WWE contract, even if it were "just for ECW." I thonk you all need to remember that Vince was funding ECW for a good part of its existence. This will be a great opportunity for guys like London, Conway and others to cut their teeth and get some cred, and get some learning with good booking and writing under their belts. I see this as a very positive thing.
Old 04-24-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I think Rhino, Dudleys et al would jump at the opportunity to get a new WWE contract, even if it were "just for ECW." I thonk you all need to remember that Vince was funding ECW for a good part of its existence. This will be a great opportunity for guys like London, Conway and others to cut their teeth and get some cred, and get some learning with good booking and writing under their belts. I see this as a very positive thing.

Several flaws here.

1. Some of these guys were assraped bad enough by the WWE that they won't go back. The Dudleys, for example, will probably never go back unless it was for something very short term and it involved them getting the rights to their name back (something they may be getting through litigation anyway).

2. With the business on a down turn, many of the ECW legends make more working the indy circuit than they would working for the WWE. Raven has stated many times that he makes much more money working for TNA and wrestling independant dates than he did working for WWE.

3. Vince funded ECW for its last few years. So what? That has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation, as Vince may have been helping Heyman out with funding, but he still didn't own the company, meaning he had no say in the booking.
Old 04-24-06, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Several flaws here.

1. Some of these guys were assraped bad enough by the WWE that they won't go back. The Dudleys, for example, will probably never go back unless it was for something very short term and it involved them getting the rights to their name back (something they may be getting through litigation anyway).

2. With the business on a down turn, many of the ECW legends make more working the indy circuit than they would working for the WWE. Raven has stated many times that he makes much more money working for TNA and wrestling independant dates than he did working for WWE.

3. Vince funded ECW for its last few years. So what? That has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation, as Vince may have been helping Heyman out with funding, but he still didn't own the company, meaning he had no say in the booking.
Well said MovieExchange, as well as the last post you made regrading this thread

Vince's ego demands that WWE is the one who carries the wrestling industry and I'm pretty sure that if he crushed WCW/ECW in that Invasion angle, it won't take long that once this ECW thing gets going that the WWE talent will start showing up and squashing people....

I also agree that some of the ECW people that the fans really loved too have already moved on to TNA (though I can see Sabu leaving as he didn't really get a big opportunity to shine in a big company). Plus you hit the nail right on the head with the Dudley Boys (or Team 3D), and Raven comments. Not to mention that Spike Dudley said that the backstage atmosphere the WWE's version of ECW "One Night Stand" PPV he felt miserable because it didn't feel like ECW but a bastard knockoff version.

It will seem it will work out (only for a short while) then fans will see how Vince's business works... Don't say we didn't warn ya!
Old 04-24-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.... ok... you convinced me...

But with Tommy and Heyman booking.....too hard to not watch
Old 04-24-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

these ECW matches are just going to be taped before RAW, so basically it is velocity with weapons.
Old 04-24-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
ECW will only be ECW again if the majority of events are mainly in the Philadelphia/New York area. I speak as one of the first people to witness ECW before they became extreme. Their base is the Philly/NY area, plain and simple.
Hell yes. The atmosphere of that sparse Philly bingo hall and the insanity of the hardcore local fans was half of what made ECW successful. I hope it works out, but a lot of the core ECW guys are way past making a splash today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.