Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The biggest upset in history?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The biggest upset in history?

Old 03-26-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't Villanova take Georgetown to OT and play another tight game with them in the regular season that year?
Old 03-26-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Didn't Villanova take Georgetown to OT and play another tight game with them in the regular season that year?

Yep. People forget this - Nova was quite familiar with G-Town and had played 2 very tight games with them prior to the title game. That's why the Mason win today was a bigger upset.
Old 03-26-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by shizawn
Biggest upset in college basketball is Chaminade over Virginia.

I agree, but today was the biggest tournament upset of the last 25 years.
Old 03-26-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They did. GT won in OT and by 5 the 2 times they played.
The Final Four that year had 3 Big East teams along with St. John's.

Villanova had the advantage of knowing Georgetown.
They took 10 shots in the second half. 10. And made 9. Lack of a shot clock.
They held the ball the last 2 minutes of the first half for the last shot.
It's been describes as the closest thing to a perfect half.
And was the best shooting percentage in any Final.
Old 03-26-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Interesting tidbit courtesy Michael Wilbon - GMU head coach Jim Larranaga was a UVA assistant when they lost to Chaminade.
Old 03-26-06, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I thought we agreed that live sporting events needed no spoilers? It's not like this game was tape delayed or anything. Seems pretty silly to me.
We did?

For FOUR years, there has been a sticky stating the forum rule. "Do NOT post game outcomes in thread titles!" With Tivo and such out there, who cares if the game is broadcast live, people with a _great_ interest in a sporting event who are unable to watch it live can watch it "live to them" later in the day.

If anyone is unhappy with this rule, feel free to start a thread in the Feedback forum, but do NOT post your objections in this thread.

Also, the only reason I put a spoiler warning in the title is because the generic title alone didn't provide any clue that a discussion of today's UConn-GMU game would be inside.
Old 03-26-06, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by JaxComet
Forcing spolier tags? Please!

Anyone with serious interest in this game should have been watching it.
agreed! if u didnt have time to get a live update or listen on the radio while at work, why the hell are u on dvdtalk and not A. watching the recorded game or B. working to help the economy!
Old 03-26-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
15's beating 2's are pretty big. Richmond over Syracuse...forget the other ones.
I love March Madness because it's pretty much the only time of the sporting year that my alma mater is given national exposure (albeit, for something it did 15 years ago, but still...).
Old 03-26-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkElf
Also, the only reason I put a spoiler warning in the title is because the generic title alone didn't provide any clue that a discussion of today's UConn-GMU game would be inside.
But if there's a spoiler warning, then it stands to reason that the results of one of today's games is going to be in it. And since Florida over Villanova woulnd't be a big enough upset for anyone to call it the biggest upset in history, it must be about the UConn/George Mason game. And since there would be no upset talk of UConn had won, then George Mason must have won.
Old 03-28-06, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by DarkElf
We did?

For FOUR years, there has been a sticky stating the forum rule. "Do NOT post game outcomes in thread titles!" With Tivo and such out there, who cares if the game is broadcast live, people with a _great_ interest in a sporting event who are unable to watch it live can watch it "live to them" later in the day.
I can vouch for this...I often work nights and weekends and I have pretty much watched the entire tournament on TIVO.
Old 03-28-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep. People forget this - Nova was quite familiar with G-Town and had played 2 very tight games with them prior to the title game. That's why the Mason win today was a bigger upset.
Besides, Nova had already shown they could play with the big boys in that tourney as they had already defeated #1 seed Michigan (2nd ranked team in the country) and #2 seed UNC (7th ranked team in the country)
Old 03-29-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 167 Posts
My top 3 list is pretty homer-centric:
1980 Men's Olympic Hockey - USA 4, URS 3
1990 World Series - Reds sweep A's 4-0
2003 NFL Week 11 - Bengals beat Chiefs 24-19

And the origin of the word "upset": 1919 Man O' War loses to 100-1 longshot at the Stanford Memorial. The winning horse is named... Upset
Old 03-29-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by shizawn
Biggest upset in college basketball is Chaminade over Virginia.
Yup.

WHile Nova G-Town was a huge upset (and the best basketball game I have EVER watched, college or pro), as has been pointed out it was not as big an upset as some think. Nova had played them tough earlier and had also beaten some big teams. I mean, they were in the championship game for chrissake! That means 5 wins already in the tourney.