Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

What did you do when the SuperBowl came to your town?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-30-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who experienced the SuperBowl week long festivities, what did you do? I live about 15 from Downtown Detroit. Unfortunately, between work and school I have only about two nights available and one morning/afternoon not counting today (I have done nothing today.)

Another question. Im going to the NFL Experience Friday evening but was wondering is this thing just for kids or will all football fans enjoy it. It sounds like fun to me but Im going with my friends (no young ones) and didnt want us to be the only adults there without kids with them.
Old 01-30-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm planning on heading down on Thursday. The NFL Experience supposedly has a ton of stuff for older folks as well, although I probably won't go in. I just want to walk around and see who I can run into while I'm down there.
Old 01-30-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it comes to St. Louis, I will be enjoying cold drinks chilled by ice from Hell.
Old 01-30-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
When it comes to St. Louis, I will be enjoying cold drinks chilled by ice from Hell.

A Super Bowl isn't out of the realm of possibility. After all, they have a dome. Heck, if Minneapolis and Detroit can host Super Bowls, why not St Louis.
Old 01-31-06, 11:41 AM

When it came to Houston I went Downtown and went to some of the clubs and it was insanely packed and everyone was going crazy. I took a cab since I live a mile and ahalf from downtown and traffic was so bad it was impossible to park anywhere near the nightclubs.

I never did any of the NFL experience type things, and traffic was hell for the whole week and I nearly got trampled in the Galleria mall when the mob that was following Beyonce and Jay-Z started moving. Overall it is fun if you like to go out on the town cause every club is packed and there is a party atmosphere but after a week you are glad everyone is gone so you can drive around town without hitting heavy traffic everywhere.
Old 02-02-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When it was in Phoenix (Tempe) we hit as many of the fan sites as possible. many lil things going on. Stood behind ESPN announcers. geeky fan stuff.

Hadn't had my Cardinals tickets for long, so I didn't get picked for tickets. (1 entry per consecutive year of having season tickets for a pool of about 2-3000 seats) We get it again in our stadium (not new stadium as we've never had one) in a couple years, so I hope ta have a small chance of getting tickets!
Old 02-02-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went downtown tonight, a lot of cool stuff going on - the city is just buzzing. I did not go to the NFL Experience, but did check out the Winter Blast stuff and went to the RenCen where all the media is. We saw Shannon Sharpe, Deuce McAllister, Steve Young, Jon Heder, David Spade, Rod Woodson, Marvin Lewis, Jim Rome, and some other random "hey I know him!" people, plus we watched Dan Patrick interview Emmitt Smith. We went to the ESPN TV booth where they were filming a piece for ESPN News with Linda Cohn, Sean Salisbury and Merrill Hodge. I was standing in front of the spot where the two barricades met at a corner, and someone puts his hand on my shoulder and says "excuse me". I turn and it's Ron Jaworski making his way to the set. Finally, when we were going to leave, we were heading up an escalator, and my friend says to the person behind us "hey, good to see you". I turn expecting to see someone he knows, and instead it's Dan Patrick. He says "I'm trying to be incognito, maybe I should wear a Steelers or Seahawks jersey". My friend replied "try a Lions jersey, no one will look at you".
Old 02-02-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really does suck that the Super Bowl will never play in the "cold" North unless it's in a dome. What bullshit. A dome and near-grass is just as much an advantage to "fancy" teams as cold weather is to "smash-mouth" teams.
Old 02-03-06, 04:47 PM
Cool New Member

When it came to Minneapolis, I was a candy vendor. Walking up and down the stands with those damn red ropes. It was a fundraiser thing for church. Not sure how they managed to line that up for the superbowl... But MAN I was drained by halftime.
Old 02-03-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welcome to Michigan

MIZ062-069-070-075-076-082-083-040330-
/O.NEW.KDTX.WS.A.0002.060204T1800Z-060205T1000Z/
LAPEER-OAKLAND-MACOMB-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAPEER...PONTIAC...WARREN...ANN ARBOR...
DETROIT...ADRIAN...MONROE
217 PM EST FRI FEB 3 2006

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT. PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AS
RAIN SATURDAY MORNING...TRANSITIONING TO SNOW THROUGH MID-
AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO
8 INCHES POSSIBLE BY EARLY SUNDAY MORNING
. THE TRANSITION TO SNOW WILL
OCCUR LAST NEAR THE MICHIGAN BORDER WHERE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE
CLOSER TO THE LOW END OF THIS RANGE.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...AND WIND THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. AS THE SYSTEM PASSES
EAST OF THE AREA DURING THE EVENING...WINDS WILL INCREASE WITH
GUSTS TO 30 MPH...CAUSING SNOW TO BLOW AND DRIFT. THIS BLOWING AND
DRIFTING OF SNOW WILL CAUSE FURTHER RESTRICTION TO VISIBILITY
MAKING DRIVING CONDITIONS INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT. PERSONS WITHIN
THE WATCH AREA SHOULD PLAN TO AVOID DRIVING SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND
NIGHT.

CHANGES IN THE TRACK OF THIS STORM MAY CAUSE THE LOCATION
OF THE HIGHEST SNOW ACCUMULATION TO CHANGE. PLEASE CONTINUE TO
MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS FOR DETAILS ABOUT THIS APPROACHING
WINTER STORM.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?...t=ci&version=1
Old 02-04-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went downtown today. Had alot of fun. Unfortunately I got their too late so I didnt see as many people as Id like. Saw Drew Rosenhaus, Takeo Spikes, Richard Seymour, Lincoln Kennedy, Lynn Swann and alot of the ESPN guys along with local radio and tv personalities. The NFL Experience was cool as well. Unffortunately I have to work tomorrow but Im headed back there on Sunday for the Winter Blast.

PS The area with the SB festivities is only supposed to be getting about 2 inches of snow if that. This is the 3rd warmest January/Febuary in Michigan history so things have worked out great weather wise.
Old 02-04-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I stayed home and watched it on TV when it came to Minneapolis.
Old 02-04-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Amel
It really does suck that the Super Bowl will never play in the "cold" North unless it's in a dome. What bullshit. A dome and near-grass is just as much an advantage to "fancy" teams as cold weather is to "smash-mouth" teams.
Imagine how amazing it would be to see a Super Bowl played in the NFL Mecca - Lambeau Field.
Old 02-04-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Double homicide.

das
Old 02-04-06, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PS The area with the SB festivities is only supposed to be getting about 2 inches of snow if that. This is the 3rd warmest January/Febuary in Michigan history so things have worked out great weather wise.
The NWS seems to disagree...now upgraded to winter storm warning, with up to 8" possible around Detroit. No doubt of course this sort of contingency has been planned for...we'll see what happens
Old 02-04-06, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Double homicide.

das
I was still in school in Atlanta when the game was there. Ice storms two consecutive weekends if I recall. The double homcide sure put a damper on the Buckhead scene for a while.
Old 02-04-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
When we had it in San Diego, I went to the NFL Experience the day of the game. I figured it wouldn't be as crowded and I got home in time to watch the game.

It's a pretty good time and I recommend it. ESPN had a set up where they would take a pic of you holding your athletic gear of your choice, they put it on the cover of ESPN magazine and print out the cover for you. They also had a mock-up of the Sports Center desk and you get read off a teleprompter while they tape it. On the tape is an intro by Chris Berman and they swing it to you reading your script. It's pretty cool and you get to keep the tape.

It was also fun to hang out downtown and talk to the fans that flocked to the city. Many were from colder climates and were loving the weather.
Old 02-04-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bought two tickets early (in September), held onto them, realized I couldn't go to the game, sold the tickets and made a huge profit.
Old 02-04-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll let you know next year. (Miami!)

-p
Old 02-04-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are saying Ohio is gonna get slammed worst than Michigan by this storm. Might get ugly for the Pittsburgh fans coming up late today, early tomorrow
Old 02-04-06, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daryl
They are saying Ohio is gonna get slammed worst than Michigan by this storm. Might get ugly for the Pittsburgh fans coming up late today, early tomorrow

Yes and Yay!
Old 02-04-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Illinois Enema Bandit
The NWS seems to disagree...now upgraded to winter storm warning, with up to 8" possible around Detroit. No doubt of course this sort of contingency has been planned for...we'll see what happens
2-4 inches is what they have now. No biggie. The problem will be the rain that has already fallen will turn to a sheet of ice under the snow.
Old 02-05-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went back Saturday Night for the WinterBlast and more ESPN stuff. The snow did not stick at all cuz it was mixed in with rain. Watched more Sportscenter. Merill Hodge was very nice and approachable. He signed autographs and took pictures for about 20 minutes after the show. I was about 10 feet from him but Im not a huge fan so I just took a picture from that distance. All in all it was a really fun time.
Old 02-05-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never came to my town: Denver, Cincinnati and San Fran.