Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

TNA on Spike TV 1/7 (Sting is STILL Coming, Homicide Debut, New Age Outlaws are Back)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

TNA on Spike TV 1/7 (Sting is STILL Coming, Homicide Debut, New Age Outlaws are Back)

Old 01-04-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Saturday January 7th at 11pm on Spike TV (replay Monday at Midnight)

Ron "The Truth" Killings vs Team Canada's Bobby Roode

The Naturals vs Apolo & Homicide (with Konnan)

Team 3D vs Buck Quarterman & Lex Lovett

X-Division Six Man Tag
Austin Aries, Alex Shelley & Roderick Strong vs AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels & Chris Sabin

plus... the former "New Age Outlaws" The James Gang, Abyss, Rhino, America's Most Wanted, Christian, Gail Kim, Jeff Jarrett, Shannon Moore, Team Canada, "The Alpha Male" Monty Brown, Samoa Joe and more!

- - PLEASE, DO NOT POST SPOILERS - -
Old 01-04-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler info on one segment. Wow.

Spoiler:
Holy shit, I read the taping results, and the fans completely pissed all over Jarrett's promo, chanting things like "Boring" and "Wrap it up" practically right from the beginning. Hopefully someone at TNA will wake up and realize that Jarrett as champ isn't bringing in new fans and it's driving the old ones away.
Old 01-04-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tribute to Sting? Did he die on the long journey to TNA?
Old 01-04-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Spoiler info on one segment. Wow.

Spoiler:
Holy shit, I read the taping results, and the fans completely pissed all over Jarrett's promo, chanting things like "Boring" and "Wrap it up" practically right from the beginning. Hopefully someone at TNA will wake up and realize that Jarrett as champ isn't bringing in new fans and it's driving the old ones away.

already making wwe mistakes.... its too early for that...

they need to give their TNA boys a spot....
Old 01-04-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok here is a fun contest we can have...

How many weeks (of the 52 weeks in 2006) will Jeff Jarrett spend as the TNA champ?

Whoever gets nearest to the correct answer will get a prize.
AND Sting will even hand deliver it to you whenever he shows up.
Old 01-04-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I say he will lost it like 5 times but the following taping he will regain the title
Old 01-04-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Ok here is a fun contest we can have...

How many weeks (of the 52 weeks in 2006) will Jeff Jarrett spend as the TNA champ?

Whoever gets nearest to the correct answer will get a prize.
AND Sting will even hand deliver it to you whenever he shows up.
I'm assuming not many, since Sting has a 1 year deal, and from everything I've read it sounds like he's going to be on top for a good portion of that time.
Old 01-04-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I'm assuming not many, since Sting has a 1 year deal, and from everything I've read it sounds like he's going to be on top for a good portion of that time.
And that's going to be a huge mistake. What the hell does Sting have to prove in TNA? All they'll do by jobbing TNA stars to him is confirm to the anti-TNA folk that the company is just a minor league group that will never make it to the big time.
Old 01-04-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It won't be much different than jobbing everyone to Jarrett, who part of the company.
Old 01-04-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish Jarrett would just take some time off and give the title to someone else. Monty Brown. AJ Styles. Sabu. Christian Cage. Anyone But Jarrett.
Old 01-04-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

blah to all the Jarrett haters! Double J Rules!
Old 01-04-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
I wish Jarrett & Monty Brown would just take some time off and give the title to someone else. AJ Styles. Sabu. Christian Cage. Anyone But Jarrett and Monty Brown.

Fixed
Old 01-06-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
apparenlty according to lordsofpain.net , the 6 man x division match is consitered to be the best match ever on impact.
Old 01-06-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
apparenlty according to lordsofpain.net , the 6 man x division match is consitered to be the best match ever on impact.
Can't wait to check it out. Just look at the guys involved (Austin Aries, Alex Shelley & Roderick Strong vs AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels & Chris Sabin)!!!! Should be crazy.

I finally watched most of the Enigma: The Best of Jeff Hardy DVD last night. Not bad at all....except for his damn theme song which is stuck in my head. MODEST TO THE TOP...MODEST AT THE TOP...ARRRGH.
Old 01-06-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just starting to get into the show but it sounds like Jarrett is the Triple H of TNA. Holding back better talent to push himself as champ. Jarrett is a good heal, but they need to push the other guys if they want the show to take off.
Old 01-06-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts
So is the X-division basically just everyone wrestles everyone? As in, there are few true lines as far as heels and faces go (Samoa Joe being the exception)? Because I thought Sabin, Aries, and Styles were all faces? I realize for Daniels to go after Samoa Joe he's going to have to be at least semi-face, but still...

No doubt in my mind that they'll have a great match, though.

Has Sting been wrestling at all? What kind of shape is he going to be in when he finally debuts? And doesn't that mean that Christian Cage basically has no shot at the title?
Old 01-06-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm just starting to get into the show but it sounds like Jarrett is the Triple H of TNA. Holding back better talent to push himself as champ. Jarrett is a good heal, but they need to push the other guys if they want the show to take off.

That's exactly what Jarrett is. I'm sure he pitches it to the rest of the booking comittee that it's only logical for him to hold the belt, because he's the one that was a former WCW champion and tag team / intercontinental champion in the WWF. Sadly, the fans don't want to see him as champ anymore. TNA is rapidly becoming like WCW, where people bought the PPV's for the mid-card action, not because of the same boring main event match.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Has Sting been wrestling at all? What kind of shape is he going to be in when he finally debuts? And doesn't that mean that Christian Cage basically has no shot at the title?
I think Sting has been doing occasional appearances for Ted DiBiase's religious wrestling group. I don't know what kind of shape he's in now, but last time he was in TNA he was pretty bad.

As for Christian's shot at the title, it'll probably be a while. With how much they're paying Sting, and with the ego the guy supposedly has, I'm sure they'll be putting the belt on him.
Old 01-06-06, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
That's exactly what Jarrett is. I'm sure he pitches it to the rest of the booking comittee that it's only logical for him to hold the belt, because he's the one that was a former WCW champion and tag team / intercontinental champion in the WWF. Sadly, the fans don't want to see him as champ anymore. TNA is rapidly becoming like WCW, where people bought the PPV's for the mid-card action, not because of the same boring main event match.
Yeah, like WWE doesn't have boring main events
Sure there are great wrestlers like HBK and Angle but there are still issues on who should really be in the main event picture. Best example: crowd being divided about Cena. Not to mention, the guy ain't exactly one of Stu Hart's student. For crying out loud, the only people cheering for the guy are women and kids What exactly is WWE thinking? People who don't like him should straight up shout "Cena Sucks" in his matches instead of just boo him. That way I would love to see how the "creative minds" of WWE try to edit that stuff out

Now I will give you the fact that Jarrett has no business being a champion, let's just not go crapping in each other's lawns and saying to the neighborhood by saying that yours in the best lawn.

[/QUOTE]
I think Sting has been doing occasional appearances for Ted DiBiase's religious wrestling group. I don't know what kind of shape he's in now, but last time he was in TNA he was pretty bad.

As for Christian's shot at the title, it'll probably be a while. With how much they're paying Sting, and with the ego the guy supposedly has, I'm sure they'll be putting the belt on him.[/QUOTE]

That's the sad part as well, Sting should be used to utilize the talent of TNA (in other words, put them over). Then again, I am aware that TNA's plan for using Sting in the first place is so they can use Spike TV's interest to give them a good prime time slot (heck, Tuesday Nights Live would be perfect )

However, I wouldn't push Christian out of the main event picture just yet. I mean, who isn't to say that Christian will remain a face throughout his time in the company....for all we know, TNA could easily turn Christian heel and have him explain that he is jealous of Sting taking his spot. Heck, we all know Christian works best as a heel.
Old 01-07-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As anyone who says Jarrett's matches are boring actually seen a TNA Jarrett match? The guy has solid wrestling moves, he's still in good shape and can tell a great story in the ring. Jarrett vs Rhino at the last PPV was the second best match of the night after AJ/Joe. His match with Styles at Hard Justice was amazing and he actually made Nash look good in the ring early in the year. Plus his backstage sements are really funny and he has great heel mic skills.

I think he's the best heel in wrestling right now. Unless it's a super face like Hogan or Austin, I think wrestling is always more interesting when the heel has the title and the good guys are in the chase.

Yes, I'm a huge Jarrett fan and hope he holds the title. I'm sure he will lose it to Christian, Raven or Sting soon and win it back down the line, but when I hear people call him the HHH is TNA or boring, I dont get it.

I think TNA's biggest problem is other then Jarrett and Monty there are no main event heels. Maybe Abyss, but a "monster" who can't talk will never win the world title. So, if you put the belt on one of the good guys after Jarrett gets his rematch and Monty gets his match, where do you go?

Look for Christian to turn heel soon, I see it coming.

So is the X-division basically just everyone wrestles everyone? As in, there are few true lines as far as heels and faces go (Samoa Joe being the exception)? Because I thought Sabin, Aries, and Styles were all faces? I realize for Daniels to go after Samoa Joe he's going to have to be at least semi-face, but still...
yeah, there are no real heel face lines in the X-Division, except for AJ being the face and Joe being the heel, guys in the X Div switch back and forth all the time. Aj and Sabin just had a great match last month and they are the two top face X-Div guys. It's more about the wrestling than storylines. Guys like Matt Bentley and Roderick Strong switch back and forth between the face and heel enterance ramps all the time. However with that said, look for Austin Aries to turn heel.
Old 01-07-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

turborobb, I'll add to your support for Jarrett. I definitely like the guy. He's great at what he does, both in the ring and on the mic. And being the biggest heel in TNA, if people hate him so much and boo and taunt him, then thats the way its supposed to be! He's never portrayed as something he's not. He's the obnoxious power hungry bully with a stranglehold on TNA. The fans want someone to finally shut him up and knock off his pedestal.

It's not like WWE, where you've got Cena who they try to portray as a "people's champ", but 3/4 of the crowd wants him to die. In TNA, you've got a large portion of the fans wanting this jerk Jeff Jarrett finally taken out and they're going to play it for everything its worth! People actually hate the bad guy? It's gold i tell you! GOLD!
Old 01-07-06, 01:33 PM

turborobb, I'll add to your support for Jarrett. I definitely like the guy. He's great at what he does, both in the ring and on the mic. And being the biggest heel in TNA, if people hate him so much and boo and taunt him, then thats the way its supposed to be! He's never portrayed as something he's not. He's the obnoxious power hungry bully with a stranglehold on TNA. The fans want someone to finally shut him up and knock off his pedestal.

It's not like WWE, where you've got Cena who they try to portray as a "people's champ", but 3/4 of the crowd wants him to die. In TNA, you've got a large portion of the fans wanting this jerk Jeff Jarrett finally taken out and they're going to play it for everything its worth! People actually hate the bad guy? It's gold i tell you! GOLD!
Actually you and turborobb have got very good points. I mean, if Jarrett is being booed, then that means he's definetly doing his job. Heck, if WWE is seeing Cena being booed they should turn him heel instead of forcing the crowds to boo Angle.

I agree that Jarrett is a good wrestler (don't get me wrong from my past posts, I loved the guy when he was on WCW) and from what I read about the match between him and Rhino, it sounded like a solid match. However, I just didn't like the finish where Jarrett has to rely on interfernces to win. It should have had Rhino take the win instead of cheating the fans once again and slowing building the real face who will eventually take down Jarrett. Not to mention the fact that when Rhino did beat Jarrett for the title, Jarrett won it back a next couple of nights. It really makes the guy look a little suspicious when he is part of the booking committee.

Then again, I can see the counter-point where Triple H did the same when he was with Evolution and I definetly have to concur. The only difference I see is that at least Jarrett is really a chicken-$hit heel (who doesn't mind being that) while HHH is guy who can't take a loss like a real champion and move on to the next opponent (it's like he has to have his damn rematch in the next night or PPV or get the last word by beating the opponent to near "injury"). If he doesn't the product suffers because we, the viewers, have to be subjected to long ass promos on how he was screwed out of his title (no, you got beat! Plain and simple )

Another point I have to make is that why does Jarrett have to be the "main heel" in the company? Couldn't it had been Abyss (I think this guy is the future) or possibly Monty Brown (say what you will about the guy, he is also the future of the company) ? I mean, I remember that some fans or critics pointed out why Monty would side with Jarrett when he couldn't see eye-to-eye with the guy and could take him out when he had the chance. The same could be said about Abyss as well...then again, I have no complaints considering we still get solid matches from the guy with any opponent he faces.

TNA needs to make some sort of solid plan in order to gain followers in the future. We certainly don't want to give people the impression that wrestling is booked on the fly (WWE though seems to show signs of that) without much consideration about the product itself.
Old 01-07-06, 03:10 PM

Jarrett is really only following the model he saw as he grew up in the business. I grew up watching him in CWA/USWA here in Southern Indiana weekly. Jerry Lawler did the EXACT same thing Jarrett is doing now. It's almost mirror image. He'd lose the title for a while, only to regain it shortly down the road. Same garbage matches that end with 3888 people running in. This is booking, nothing more and nothing less. It's still weird to me to see Jarrett as a heel. AJ Styles is where Jeff was long, long ago. Not near the wrestling ability, but the second in line face that eventually gets pushed to the top. You want to compare him to HHH, that's fair, but Lawler is where he learned it. Maybe Hunter watched Jerry growing up too.
Old 01-07-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also while joe is still now at least consitered a heel, people still cheer him in the ring (same with monty brown). but its got to be hard for tna when you get "borring" "wrap it up", "we want wrestling" "shut the hell up" chants at Jerrett when he is doing promos in the ring.
Old 01-07-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by turborobb
As anyone who says Jarrett's matches are boring actually seen a TNA Jarrett match? The guy has solid wrestling moves, he's still in good shape and can tell a great story in the ring. Jarrett vs Rhino at the last PPV was the second best match of the night after AJ/Joe. His match with Styles at Hard Justice was amazing and he actually made Nash look good in the ring early in the year. Plus his backstage sements are really funny and he has great heel mic skills.

I think he's the best heel in wrestling right now. Unless it's a super face like Hogan or Austin, I think wrestling is always more interesting when the heel has the title and the good guys are in the chase.

Yes, I'm a huge Jarrett fan and hope he holds the title. I'm sure he will lose it to Christian, Raven or Sting soon and win it back down the line, but when I hear people call him the HHH is TNA or boring, I dont get it.

I think TNA's biggest problem is other then Jarrett and Monty there are no main event heels. Maybe Abyss, but a "monster" who can't talk will never win the world title. So, if you put the belt on one of the good guys after Jarrett gets his rematch and Monty gets his match, where do you go?
I disagree with almost everything you said: I think he's sloppy and overrated in the ring, and his mic work is excruciating. I dislike HHH a great deal, but he is head and shoulders above JJJ in every aspect of the wrestling business IMO. Better in the ring, better on the mic, and it's not close.
Old 01-07-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
Yeah, like WWE doesn't have boring main events
Where did I say that they don't have boring main events?

They do, and that's why I'm getting pissed about TNA having the same boring crap with Jarrett in the main event. Why copy WWE when what WWE is doing is hurting their ratings?

Originally Posted by turborobb
As anyone who says Jarrett's matches are boring actually seen a TNA Jarrett match?
And being the biggest heel in TNA, if people hate him so much and boo and taunt him, then thats the way its supposed to be!
Originally Posted by Curse_7781
Actually you and turborobb have got very good points. I mean, if Jarrett is being booed, then that means he's definetly doing his job.
There's something you all are missing. The reason Jarrett is getting booed is because he's boring. It's not monster bad guy heel heat that he's getting, there's a lot of "you suck, we're tired of seeing your repetitive bullshit" heat that he's been getting ever since WCW, and even more so now that he's been doing the same thing for several years in TNA. And yes, I have seen a TNA Jarrett match. I've seen many of them, seeing as I've seen all but their first year of weekly PPV's. Jarrett is still doing the same match every time. Brawl in the ring. Brawl around the arena. Get back in the ring. Get the guitar. Oh, ok, now he's added something new to his match, even more outside interference. I was tired of this crap from him in WCW, and I'm still tired of it in TNA. Jarrett is old. Older than HHH. And just as Triple H should do, Triple J needs to step back, do the backstage business, and be someone that helps build the younger talent and steps in if it's for the good of the business, not for the good of his ego.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.