NBA 2005-06 Regular Season News and Discussion Thread Part 2

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-16-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty then!

Pistons are DESTROYING the Bulls tonight... Currently up by 23 pts. One thing I love about these mighty Pistons this year, is that Rasheed Wallace has really been playing well. He's scoring in the upper teens to twenties more and more. Maybe he's finally hitting his stride with the Pistons.

The Heat look to be 'back' as well with the additions of Shaq and Reilly. However, Indiana looks like it may be leaving the building unless a spectacular trade is made. I've heard that Donnie Walsh has said that he may pull a T.O. and just keep Artest on the inactive list all year.
Old 12-16-05, 11:06 PM

Ugly first quarter for the Wizards and Lakers! Kwame just missed two lay-ups in a row. What a retarded basketball player he is.

You know, I was thinking, Steve Blake isn't that much behind Kobe. I think he would average over 30 points per game if he played with Shaq. Zing!
Old 12-17-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ehh, i think the Pacers are doing alright, they've won 3 of 4 without Artest since his injury/sit out

i hope they can get someone for him, I would hate the fact he sits out and still gets paid
Old 12-17-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Even without Artest the Pacers are a dangerous team.
Old 12-17-05, 12:43 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johny Boy

You know, I was thinking, Steve Blake isn't that much behind Kobe. I think he would average over 30 points per game if he played with Shaq. Zing!

are you kidding me. now that is a joke., Oh yeah he has been without shaq this year, how many points is he averaging????

Last edited by ruk; 12-17-05 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-17-05, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ruk
are you kidding me. now that is a joke., Oh yeah he has been without shaq this year, how many points is he averaging????
Perhaps you missed the "zing", the , and the latter parts of the Part I thread as it was breaking down...
Old 12-17-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Cow
Perhaps you missed the "zing", the , and the latter parts of the Part I thread as it was breaking down...
People getting my thread closed
Old 12-17-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
I got it, but it was probably best left to die in the other thread.

Tough stretch of the year for a Spurs fan. Yeah, they are 18-4 but man they are having their usual frustrating start to the season with bad free throw shooting, too many turnovers and a lot of sloppy play. Granted Ginobili has either been out or played hurt the entire year and Duncan is struggling the past week or so. Michael Finley has basically saved them in two straight games.

However, they do this crap every year and finally hit a stride after the all star break so I will just have to deal with it like every year. They are finally starting to look like a defensive team again so if nothing else they may be starting to put things together. I really don't like their chances in the Christmas game though with the Pistons already looking in post season form. Maybe the game the Spurs need though to really see how far they are from being ready for the playoffs.

One thing that is for sure Duncan is starting to really show his age. He is still a great player, but he is not going to be able to carry it all the way he did at 25. I have to think the window of opportunity for the Spurs to cash in again for another ring is only going to be 2-3 more seasons. I hope they realize this and push hard for it this season.

Last edited by darkside; 12-17-05 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-17-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Make that Michael Finley has saved them in 3 straight games. Very good game tonight. Kings played well but Finley had the last bucket to win the game.
Old 12-18-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I got it, but it was probably best left to die in the other thread.

Tough stretch of the year for a Spurs fan. Yeah, they are 18-4 but man they are having their usual frustrating start to the season with bad free throw shooting, too many turnovers and a lot of sloppy play. Granted Ginobili has either been out or played hurt the entire year and Duncan is struggling the past week or so. Michael Finley has basically saved them in two straight games.

However, they do this crap every year and finally hit a stride after the all star break so I will just have to deal with it like every year. They are finally starting to look like a defensive team again so if nothing else they may be starting to put things together. I really don't like their chances in the Christmas game though with the Pistons already looking in post season form. Maybe the game the Spurs need though to really see how far they are from being ready for the playoffs.

One thing that is for sure Duncan is starting to really show his age. He is still a great player, but he is not going to be able to carry it all the way he did at 25. I have to think the window of opportunity for the Spurs to cash in again for another ring is only going to be 2-3 more seasons. I hope they realize this and push hard for it this season.
Considering the records of the two respective teams in question, both teams need to win this game. Who knows if it will have tie-breaker implications at the end of the year? I think both teams will win well over 60 games this year...

Pistons trounce the Bobcats tonight. Two straight blow-outs for the good guys. The starters are only having to play 3 quarters. How wonderful for rest purposes.

Lebron shoots down the Heat tonight. I think Riley has seen the future of the league.
Old 12-19-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, what a game between the Pistons and the Grizz tonight... A double overtime shoot-out that the Pistons come out on top of to take their record to 19-3. I think the Pistons will have no problem with media respect this year - they are the best team in the East if not the NBA hands down.

Can't wait for Christmas day....
Old 12-20-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kerborus
Wow, what a game between the Pistons and the Grizz tonight... A double overtime shoot-out that the Pistons come out on top of to take their record to 19-3. I think the Pistons will have no problem with media respect this year - they are the best team in the East if not the NBA hands down.

Can't wait for Christmas day....
Believe me if Ginobili is still out or even if he plays hurt the Christmas Day game won't even be a game. Spurs are just awful right now and have lost almost ever single game on the end of a back to back this season. Hornets absolutely dominated them last night. I'm hoping the Pistons can finally light a fire under the Spurs and get them playing with the same kind of execution Detroit has shown all year. Detroit looks like a team with a lot to prove to people about Brown and about the Finals last year and the Spurs just look beat up and tired.

Win or lose the Spurs need to play the Pistons and get a wake up call.
Old 12-20-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Believe me if Ginobili is still out or even if he plays hurt the Christmas Day game won't even be a game. Spurs are just awful right now and have lost almost ever single game on the end of a back to back this season. Hornets absolutely dominated them last night. I'm hoping the Pistons can finally light a fire under the Spurs and get them playing with the same kind of execution Detroit has shown all year. Detroit looks like a team with a lot to prove to people about Brown and about the Finals last year and the Spurs just look beat up and tired.

Win or lose the Spurs need to play the Pistons and get a wake up call.
Don't worry... they are suffering championship-itis... The Pistons had it last year and guess what, they were still in the Finals... No doubt in my mind that there will be a rematch this year.
Old 12-21-05, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we are getting awfully down on a team that has won 19 of their first 25, and lost 2 of those recent games without their 2nd best player. I know they have looked sloppy, but 19-6 is hardly time to push the panic button, and a far cry from what the Pistons did at the beginning of the year last year.
Old 12-21-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I think we are getting awfully down on a team that has won 19 of their first 25, and lost 2 of those recent games without their 2nd best player. I know they have looked sloppy, but 19-6 is hardly time to push the panic button, and a far cry from what the Pistons did at the beginning of the year last year.
Agreed. But I think it is clear that their focus is not what it is. They clearly are not the team that they were last year. I would say the same for the 05 Pistons against the 04 Pistons. They are 19-6 on sheer talent. All that being said, they are 19-6 and there is no need to push a panic button. They will emerge from the west.

Holy crap! Kobe scores 62 pts in 3 quarters... He's finally getting what he wants - all the shots and all the attention in a big win.
Old 12-21-05, 08:31 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed. But I think it is clear that their focus is not what it is. They clearly are not the team that they were last year. I would say the same for the 05 Pistons against the 04 Pistons. They are 19-6 on sheer talent. All that being said, they are 19-6 and there is no need to push a panic button. They will emerge from the west.

Holy crap! Kobe scores 62 pts in 3 quarters... He's finally getting what he wants - all the shots and all the attention in a big win.

i hope this will end the rip vs kobe discussion
Old 12-21-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ruk
There shouldn't have been one to begin with. Of course, Kobe probably puts on the best show that you'll see from anyone in the NBA over the next decade and since David Robinson's 71, and the comment here is "shots + attention." Yeah, that and the 30+ point lead that he gave the Lakers over the 2nd best team in the Western Conference. I think he deserves a little more credit.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-21-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-21-05, 12:15 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
There shouldn't have been one to begin with. Of course, Kobe probably puts on the best show that you'll see from anyone in the NBA over the next decade and since David Robinson's 71, and the comment here is "shots + attention." Yeah, that and the 30+ point lead that he gave the Lakers over the 2nd best team in the Western Conference. I think he deserves a little more credit.

well said.
Old 12-21-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ruk
There never was a discussion and I never posited that one player was better than another, you all did that. I said that players benefitted and could do more by playing with Shaq. Go read back and show me the part where I said 'Rip' was better than Kobe.

Kobe is a better player than Rip, but they are both in entirely different situations. Rip isn't the only option on his team, rather a 4th option among 4 equal options to score. Also, Rip does things well within his system and doesn't have to or need to jack up 35-40 shots a night. I guarantee you that ANY starting shooting guard could score 60 if they took enough shots.

As good as the 60 was, Kobe will either be at home for the playoffs or exited in the 1st round. Rip will at least be playing in the ECF if not playing in and winning the NBA Finals this year, so the individual 60 really means nothing...

That being said 'Kobe Bryant is an awesome basketball player'. Ok? I would still never trade Rip for him and let in all of the Kobe baggage that comes along with him.
Old 12-21-05, 02:12 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

As good as the 60 was, Kobe will either be at home for the playoffs or exited in the 1st round. Rip will at least be playing in the ECF if not playing in and winning the NBA Finals this year, so the individual 60 really means nothing...

That being said 'Kobe Bryant is an awesome basketball player'. Ok? I would still never trade Rip for him and let in all of the Kobe baggage that comes along with him.

well the season is far from over, and remember how many rings kobe has, not 1 - well you can figure it out., talk to me when rip has that many.
Old 12-21-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ruk
well the season is far from over, and remember how many rings kobe has, not 1 - well you can figure it out., talk to me when rip has that many.
Unfortunately Rip had to eBay his in order to pay for his hair matenience and new headbands.
Old 12-21-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Well, I'm definitely not pushing a panic button because the Spurs are almost always slow out of the gate every year and Ginobili has been pretty much a non factor with injuries. I think the big problem right now isn't their record, but just how sloppy they have looked all year. They added some major talent to the team in the offseason so the expectations are almost at an impossible level for them this year. However, they look the worse at this point for the changes.

Nick Van Exel is really struggling to fit in on defense and even offense at times but I give Finley credit because he is working hard to not be a liability to them on defense. I think its all going to work out over the next few months especially if Ginobili can get healthy but right now you just don't see much about them that looks like they won a ring last year. They are trying to win every game on individual talent and that has never been how the Spurs win games.
Old 12-21-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you on a lot of things you posted. The only thing I can say is, if they are 19-6 while playing this kind of ball, the rest of the league better watch out when they get their shit together.
Old 12-21-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There never was a discussion and I never posited that one player was better than another, you all did that. I said that players benefitted and could do more by playing with Shaq. Go read back and show me the part where I said 'Rip' was better than Kobe.
There was a discussion regarding Rip and Kobe. You said the two were comparable players, which isn't the case. Ruk's comments hold regardless of the misunderstanding regarding your coments.

I guarantee you that ANY starting shooting guard could score 60 if they took enough shots.
I guarantee you that very few shooting guards in NBA history would be able to do what Kobe Bryant did last night, outside of Michael Jordan and maybe Allen Iverson.

But it was sure as hell fun to watch, but what can I say, I appreciate a spectacular performance by a basketball player rather then playing it down as just another example of Kobe wanting attention and shooting too much.
Old 12-21-05, 05:35 PM

I would still never trade Rip for him and let in all of the Kobe baggage that comes along with him.
They let in Rasheed Wallace and all of his baggage, didn't they?

If I managed the Pistons, and the Lakers were willing to give me Kobe for Rip, I'd trade Rip's ass outta town so fast it would turn his braids into an afro.

Look at this starting lineup:

C - Ben Wallace
PF - Rasheed Wallace
SF - T. Prince
SG - Kobe Bryant
PG - Chauney Billups

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't win 70+ games if Kobe was there, perhaps breaking the Chicago Bulls regular season record.

And while Rip's in LA with Kwame and Odom, he'll average about 20 PPG, shoot about 41%, and they'll win about 20 games.

Last edited by Johny Boy; 12-21-05 at 06:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.