Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Red Sox dilemma

Old 09-12-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Sox dilemma

So here's my problem. I have a week off next month, from Mon 10/17 - Sun 10/23. I plan to be in NY from Wed 10/19 - Sun 10/23 to hang out with some friends who will be there on business.

The thing is, I was trying to also plan a quick Boston trip for the Mon - Wed that week. Ideally, I'd like to catch a Red Sox playoff game at Fenway then. The problem is, I have no idea if they'll even be playing then, or if they'll be playing at home. And the longer I wait, the pricier tickets from ATL to JFK will be.

So what should I do? Go ahead and plan to be in Boston earlier that week, then off to NY afterwards? Just buy an ATL-JFK roundtrip ticket and add the Boston leg later after the playoffs schedule comes out?

Ah, the pains of being a Red Sox fan NOT living in Boston.
Old 09-12-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure you would be able to get playoff tickets?
Old 09-12-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Are you sure you would be able to get playoff tickets?
yea, what he said
Old 09-12-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by criptik28

Ah, the pains of being a Red Sox fan NOT living in Boston.
Try being a Sox fan that lives in NY...Just come to NYC and once you see if there is a game, its not that bad of a trip to Boston. Hell you could take the Fung Wah bus for $15.00.
Old 09-12-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Try being a Sox fan that lives in NY...Just come to NYC and once you see if there is a game, its not that bad of a trip to Boston. Hell you could take the Fung Wah bus for $15.00.

Why dont you pick him up and drive him to Boston? You could sit in the parking garage while he's in Fenway.
Old 09-12-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Why dont you pick him up and drive him to Boston? You could sit in the parking garage while he's in Fenway.
Well, it would be a pretty uncomfortable trip on my bike...Plus I dont think my Aerobars would be much support.
Old 09-12-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can get tickets. I have my methods.

I wasn't planning on being in NY the earlier part of the week since my friends won't be in town yet (I was going to crash at their hotel suite)...I guess I could plan to be there anyway, and then just head over to Boston if the Sox are playing.
Old 09-13-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's another scenario. The Sawx go 4-14 for the rest of their season and don't even get in on a wild card. Problem solved.
Old 09-13-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Are you sure you would be able to get Fung Wah tickets?
Old 09-13-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jobronie
Are you sure you would be able to get Fung Wah tickets?
Well I heard they stopped running, but I saw it loading up 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure...
Old 09-13-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Here's another scenario. The Sawx go 4-14 for the rest of their season and don't even get in on a wild card. Problem solved.
Uh, yeah, not quite.
Old 09-14-05, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Try being a Sox fan that lives in NY...
what's wrong with being a Sox fan in NYC. There are bars in manhattan devoted to Boston sports. You have your own little safe havens.

Can you imagine the insurance rates if a bar in Boston dedicated themselves to NY sports?
Old 09-14-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
what's wrong with being a Sox fan in NYC. There are bars in manhattan devoted to Boston sports. You have your own little safe havens.

Can you imagine the insurance rates if a bar in Boston dedicated themselves to NY sports?
I was really just being topical...Actually I enjoy being a Sox fan in NY. Living in Queens, most people I am around are Mets fans and the few Yankee fans I have met have long since abandoned their team, although they seem to be coming back around again now that they seem to be doing better.
Old 09-14-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was really just being topical...Actually I enjoy being a Sox fan in NY. Living in Queens, most people I am around are Mets fans and the few Yankee fans I have met have long since abandoned their team, although they seem to be coming back around again now that they seem to be doing better.
I can see there being more Mets fans in Queens then Yankee fans, but I don't know who these supposed fans are that have "abandoned their team"?

They get 55,000 at the stadium on a tue. night with Kansas City in. Plus the Yankees are one of the biggest draws of the year for any team they visit.
I don't think the Yankees have a big problem with losing fans.
Old 09-14-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phil L.
I can see there being more Mets fans in Queens then Yankee fans, but I don't know who these supposed fans are that have "abandoned their team"?

They get 55,000 at the stadium on a tue. night with Kansas City in. Plus the Yankees are one of the biggest draws of the year for any team they visit.
I don't think the Yankees have a big problem with losing fans.
Thats why I said the few fans that I have met...Not too mention, just because someone goes to the games, doesnt make them die hard fans anyways. Most people in NYC are Yankee fans when they are winning, pretty much like most teams. I was commenting on the few fans I know personally and have met, and they all earlier in the year were saying things like "I cant watch this team anymore". Their tune has changed a bit in the past few weeks or so though.
Old 09-15-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This information may help you out:
Monday 10/17 is an off day for the ALCS, while games 6 and 7 (if necessary, of course) are scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday 10/18-10/19 (both are night games). With baseball's 2-3-2 format, these games will be held in the ballpark of the team with home field advantage.