Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Los Angeles to bid for 2016 Games - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-07-05, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles to bid for 2016 Games - Los Angeles Times

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050907/...lympics_bid_dc

Los Angeles to bid for 2016 Games - paper

Wed Sep 7, 8:52 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Los Angeles, twice hosts of the Olympics, will bid to stage a third Summer Games in 2016, a Los Angeles newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Organizers will announce their plans at a news conference in Los Angeles later on Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told the newspaper he was "very excited about this bid."

"Hosting the Games would be not only great for Los Angeles and the nation, but also a world community that is searching for common ground," Villaraigosa said.

Los Angeles hosted the Summer Games in 1932 and 1984. New York lost out to London in July in its bid to host the 2012 Games.

The USOC is expected to pick the American 2016 bid city by 2007 when the International Olympic Committee officially opens the bid process. The IOC will make its choice in 2009.

This would be great!

Chris
Old 09-07-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Just a reason to fix up the Coliseum in hopes to attract an NFL team.
Old 09-07-05, 01:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Just a reason to fix up the Coliseum in hopes to attract an NFL team.
don't you think that it is fuzzy logic to say that they will fix up a stadium for an NFL team, that may be 10+ years in the future?
Old 09-07-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's already a plan on the table to fix up the Coliseum for an NFL team. It just doesn't have anybody to pay for it yet (though the NFL says it will, and pass along the costs to the owner that moves his team there as well as using the visitor's share of premium seating to pay back a portion of it, as is common in recent stadium deals).
Old 09-07-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
don't you think that it is fuzzy logic to say that they will fix up a stadium for an NFL team, that may be 10+ years in the future?
Nope.
Old 09-07-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any place but L.A.
Old 09-07-05, 07:10 PM
Banned

The Colliseum sucks and is in a bad part of town. I can see why no NFL team wants to go there. I would love to see a team play in Anaheim at the Angeles Stadium though. God, I miss the Rams!!!!!
Old 09-07-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After the reconfiguration of Angels Stadium (or whatever it's called now) after the Rams left, the ability for an NFL team to play there is pretty well impossible.

One of the options on the table, though, is a new football stadium built right next to the Angels' ballpark. That proposal is actually pretty far along.
Old 09-07-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really think that IOC wants non-US cities to host the Olympics. We send the largest contingency and the arena's are filled with US backers ... it's kinda a huge downer for other athletes.

I'm not implying that I agree -- just saying that's how the IOC looks at it. I can see why NYC didn't get 2012.
Old 09-08-05, 02:46 PM

Well, LA was the emergency backup city when Athens was having so much problems and there were doubts pretty close to the start that they would not be ready. Apparently LA has the best infrastructure in the world already in place for the games (which is somewhat interesting to me considering the traffic BLOWS!) We certainly have more than enough venues that would need little to no renovation.

As for the IOC not liking America, I really don't see how that is true. Certainly they rightfully probably want the Olympic rotation to be as diversified as possible and would probably follow a similar format as the only other comparably event in size and scope, the World Cup, which is now rotates between the continents (roughly). The problem with the Olympics is that there just aren't that many cities that can physically host them. The World Cup, while a bigger event, is a national event plus FIFA are open to joint bids as in Japan/South Korea. The IOC has been trying to compact the games more and more. Take a look at Africa which was awarded the 2012 World Cup in South Africa. That is something they can do, but is there any individual city in Africa that could pull off the Olympics in the near future...I think the only possible candidate that has been considered is Cape Town, but that is extremely ambitious. Not to mention that soccer venues are always useful, while some of the smaller venues for Olympic sports, while cheaper, might be harder to 'earn their keep'.

I just don't think the US will ever not be serious considered for any games in the near future when they have not had it for at least 2 games. Just from an infrastructure point of view.
Old 09-08-05, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ovid
Apparently LA has the best infrastructure in the world already in place for the games (which is somewhat interesting to me considering the traffic BLOWS!) We certainly have more than enough venues that would need little to no renovation.
Were you around for the '84 Olympics? Everyone was spouting gloom and doom and I had to travel from Glendale to West Los Angeles to work everyday, which was usually a one hour affair.

It was the best traffic(less) this city has seen since the 1890's

Chris
Old 09-08-05, 03:12 PM

I just don't think the US will ever not be serious considered for any games in the near future when they have not had it for at least 2 games. Just from an infrastructure point of view.
Plus, the most influential viewing audience in the world is the United States. While having it in another country might be great to see the cultures of other countries, it sure sucks having to watch things on tape delay. I even would hate it if it were in New York, because they would tape delay it to the West Coast. There is nothing worse than a live event, whatever it is, being taped delayed.

What if they decided to tape delay the Hurricane Katrina coverage?

Chris
Old 09-08-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the IOC not liking America
Well, it's made up of a lot of Europeans and non-Americans. That's why they hate us. Everyone around the world hates us. Okay, I kid, I kid.
Old 09-09-05, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Were you around for the '84 Olympics?
Chris
I was 3!
Old 09-09-05, 04:28 PM

I was 3!
So you don't remember?

Chris
Old 09-09-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Were you around for the '84 Olympics? Everyone was spouting gloom and doom and I had to travel from Glendale to West Los Angeles to work everyday, which was usually a one hour affair.

It was the best traffic(less) this city has seen since the 1890's

Chris
I was there. Traffic was not bad at all since a lot of people seemed to leave town, and having the Olympics there was really enjoyable.