Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

ESPN's newest MLB analyst - Orestes Destrade?

Old 08-13-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ESPN's newest MLB analyst - Orestes Destrade?

So I'm watching Baseball Tonight tonight, expecting to see Brantley or one of the other weekend guys, and what I get is Orestes Destrade (I had to wait for his graphic to know who he was). I did a Google search on him, and came up with his stats. He played 237 games over parts of 4 seasons with the Yankees (87-88) and Marlins (93-94). His career average is .241 with a 1:1 K:H ratio (184Ks, 184Hs). How does this guy become an MLB analyst on ESPN?

Although, in his defense, he was in the top 10 of 2 offensive categories in '93. Unfortunately, they were Ks (4th) and GIDPs (8th).

Check out his stats for yourself @ http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/destror01.shtml. And be sure to check out his equally impressive list of similar batters, including the great "Mr. Anagram" Gary Gray.
Old 08-13-05, 01:07 AM

maybe he knows a lot about baseball?
Old 08-13-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He is apparently one of the guys on XM's spanish languge baseball channel as well. He filled in for Rob Dibble on the Dibble/Kennedy XM show recently. He was okay. Pretty knowledgable. Anyway, he was stuck behind Mattingly coming up with NY, then went to Japan and had some success before coming back to the US, I think.
Old 08-13-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To add to what Mad Dawg said, Destrade has been the main guy on XM's spanish-language baseball channel this year. Seems to know what he's talking about. He had alot of success in Japan, then signed with the Marlins in their opening season in '93 and wasn't very good, but hey, he knows his baseball.
Old 08-13-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Sure you weren't tuned to ESPN Deportes?
Old 08-13-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Sure you weren't tuned to ESPN Deportes?
From what I remember from my cruise, ESPN Deportes was all soccer.
Old 08-13-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember Destrade from that expansion Marlins team. Maybe a better question than how Destrade got a job is how John Kruk got one. Or still has one...