Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

English Premier League 2005/06 Season Thread

Old 08-12-05, 11:55 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

English Premier League 2005/06 Season Thread

So will the russian mob run away with the EPL again, or will my Liverpool team with the fantastic Benitez in charge come back to the reclaim the title for the first time since the 89/90 season...

Who are you rooting for?
Old 08-12-05, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Who are you rooting for?
Manchester City, but let's not dwell on that, OK?
Old 08-12-05, 03:37 PM

Fox Soccer Channel has 3 games tomorrow:
Everton vs Manchester United 7:30am (EST)
Liverpool vs Middlesbrough 12pm (EST)
Birmingham City vs Fulham 3pm (EST)
Old 08-12-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was gonna start this thread but glad to see its already here.Im really excited about the season starting tomorrow

On Sportsnet here in Canada:

Everton/ManU 7:30am(est)
Aston Villa/Bolton 10:00am(est)
Middlesbrough/Liverpool 12:30pm(est)

and Sunday on the Score:

Wigan/Chelsea 11am(est)

Oh and i do think Chelsea will win it again this season but id love to see Liverpool up there challenging the big 3.Theyve certainly been in good form in the uefa qualifying matches theyve played recently so i hope they can be more consistent this season.
Old 08-12-05, 04:27 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

My Tivo is loaded with upcoming games And I ordered the directv Season Pass for 300 dollars.
Old 08-12-05, 04:29 PM

I really hadn't paid too much attention - were there any big transfers in the EPL over the summer?

In all honesty I'm much more of a Serie A guy, myself.
Old 08-12-05, 04:33 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Chelsea buying up the world ))

Trying to get Essien.

Biggest is probably shawn wright philips to Chelsea.
Old 08-12-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im pumped about Chelsea again this season. Id like a close contest with liverpool. Also, Id like to see Arsehole and Man U finish out of Champions League spots for 2006-07.
Old 08-12-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You all know who I root for.

My predictions for the season:

EPL: 1. Chav$ki 2. Arsenal 3. Liverpool 4. Scum
FA Cup: Arsenal
League Cup: Liverpool
European Cup: Barcelona
Relegated: Wigan (barely losing out to West Brom for the 17th spot at the end), West Ham, and (as a surprise) Blackburn
Surprise of the season: Everton float around the relegation zone for a good portion of the season, but avoid pulling an Ipswich and finish somewhere between 12 and 16.
Old 08-12-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Arsenal! Although, Liverpool looks strong.

As far as Chelsea goes...the bigger they come, the harder they fall...and they won't equal Arsenal's run of undefeated games, as I've heard some say (elsewhere).
Old 08-12-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Arsenal! Although, Liverpool looks strong.

As far as Chelsea goes...the bigger they come, the harder they fall...and they won't equal Arsenal's run of undefeated games, as I've heard some say (elsewhere).
The only joy I have with Chelsea is how hard they're going to fall when Roman gets bored and goes onto his next toy (or when Putin gets pissed at him and has him arrested). They're going to make what happened to Leeds look like a great time in the League.
Old 08-12-05, 05:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

There was a great thread on liverpoolfc.tv from a hammers supporter about what chelsea have done, and there 'history'

here it is

First off, as a West Ham supporter i'd like to congratulate you scousers for Winning the ultimate honour in World Club Football, the European Champions League Title and completely overshadowing Abramovichs' domestic title, which Mourinho admitted himself as Liverpool won the holy grail of World Football.

Two months on though and most Chelsea fans that ive met here in the South are still angry, bitter and twisted about Liverpool deservedly becoming the Champions of Europe. I was in my local in Chelmsford watching Liverpool's historic fightback against AC Milan in the final and when Dudek saved the decisive penalty from Sheva, the gutted Chelsea fans around us walked out of the pub out of pure jealousy and envy as they couldn't bear to see Gerrard lift the Champions League Title. Although on one hand i could understand their anger and sour grapes over the fact that Liverpool were superior over Chelsea and brilliantly kicked them out at the CL Semis, I was however surprised at the extent of their bitterness, as though because Abramovich has bottomless pockets he should be buying every trophy in sight, its clear that Chelsea fans need a reality check.

The fact is Chelsea are and always have been a small/medium sized club and have a diabolical 100 year history which not surprisingly they prefer to keep very quiet. History is a vitally important part of the fabric and identity of any club and Chelsea's is a pathetic embarrassment, although its fitting for a club of their smaller size. Domestically only one solitary earned title, in the cups even the 2000 fa cup is flawed and hugely devalued as holders Man U shunned it and didn't enter. In Europe it isn't any better with only the now scrapped cup winners cup to their name which as everyone knows was a substandard competition and is more or less worthless and id go as far as to state that it should not be classed as an honour, even the hammers win in '65 isn't thought much of. For decades Chelsea spent time playing in the lower leagues regularly performing infront of gates of a pathetic 5000 at the bridge, and as recently as the 1980's, they were even bought for a quid, laughable.

The Chelsea past player list throughout their history is equally bogstandard, even in recent years their supposed best ever player the very likable affable Zola was a failure at international level and was also rejected by the big Italian club sides as he simply was not good enough, a few tricks and flicks every once in a while cannot paper over his limitations, yes he was a good player but not a great one. Captain dennis wise was another failed international for obvious reasons, most notably lack of talent. In the late 90's players who were well past their best like Vialli, Gullit, Hughes, Desailly all used Chelsea as a retirement home while receiving one last huge pay packet and enjoying the lifestyle in London. For the national side while we at West Ham have supplied the likes of Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters and Trevor Brooking, the best Chelsea could offer were all substandard tripe including the likes of kerry dixon who was a very average, limited, lower league level forward, dennis 'no talent' wise and Calamity bonetti, all garbage at the top level.

Chelsea have always had a small fanbase in comparison to the Big clubs, and this was again recently demonstrated when just over 200,000 in total turned out for Abramovichs' pre-planned domestic title parade which was less than 20% (less than one fifth) of the 1.1 Million who welcomed Liverpool at their parade, admittedly Liverpool were celebrating a much greater achievement by becoming the Champions of Europe, having Won the Champions League Title. When you think of Chelsea you immediately think of Abramovich, as its all him and him alone, its he who has used Chelsea putting them a top 3 contention for the domestic league. The Big 3 English Clubs of Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal all have great history, huge support, prestige and global standing. In London alone both Arsenal and Spurs(whom i despise) far exceed Chelsea in both support and success, infact even my own West Ham more or less almost match them.

Its good to see geniune great players of World football like Gerrard, Sheva, Adriano and Ronaldinho have chosen to stay loyal to their huge prestigous clubs and reject the obvious lure of Abramovichs' massive wages and play for a smaller club in Chelsea. Jose is clearly gutted and bitter to the bone that Gerrard shunned him again as he knows hes far superior to frankie lampard which is the general consensus of the football community, as although lamps is a very good goalscoring midfielder he has so many weaknesses which makelele has to cover, and quite simply is not in Gerrards class who must be very close to being the best attacking central midfielder in World Football right now, going forward Gerrard has everything, hes the complete player, (however as he is Englands No.1 midfielder he often suffers by having to carry out his less favoured defensive role that the others are clearly incapable of doing).

In truth but for Abramovichs' money Mourinho would not have touched Chelsea with a bargepole, same can be said of many of the players most notably Makelele, Robben, Donkey Drogba and possibly now Essien, as they cannot resist Romans roubles like all good greedy mercenaries, completely soul-less and they couldn't give a stuff about Chelsea. Makelele openly admitted as much as he chose the money over R.Madrid, at least hes honest. Kenyon is another one, personal greed over loyalty is his incentive. A former West Ham favourite of mine, Frankie lampard, kisses the badge at Chelsea almost as much as he did at the hammers, again completely devoid of any genuine attachment to the club and no doubt he will do the same at his next club.

Chelsea without a Billionaire Abramovich type figure would always win little or nothing like they have done throughout their diabolical 100 year existance, therefore relying solely on an individual outsider to buy success on his own carries virtually no achievement or merit and a few close friends of mine who are big Chelsea fans hate to admit as much but they accept it as fact, which does grate on them as they are well aware that its hollow success from which they can take very little or no genuine satisfaction from, which they are openly bitter about. They will always be jealous and envy the kind of real success that both Liverpool and Man U have developed and achieved throughout each of their glorious history and as a hammer i have to admit that i do as well.

Ken Bates got it wrong with his statement as the truth is, when analysed accurately, it is not Chelsea who are disliked, it is infact Abramovich, as exactly the same would have happened had he used Spurs. Liverpool and Man U have always been disliked purely out of envy and jealousy at their incredible Success and Global acclaim, whereas Abramovich alone is disliked as, quite rightly, no-one likes seeing a filthy rich individual cheapen football and literally buy trophies by himself with the best manager and players his money can buy. Its virtually impossible to stop a Billionaire buy his own trophies eventually even at a smaller club as Abramovich has proven at Chelsea, Bill Gates for example could easily do the same at West Brom, absolutely no credibility.

Never before, in the history of Football, has one individual spent a ridiculous amount of money to this farcical extent and in such a short time span. When you then step up a level and take a look at whats happening at Big Clubs most notably under Massimo Moratti and Silvio Berlusconi for example, both took over huge clubs in Inter and AC Milan that had great history, fanbase, global standing and have made only measured respectable investment over time. Other Giants like Juve, Barca and Real have all received similar respectable measured investment through their rich historical past (ie.the Kings club R.Madrid) and huge global status and acclaim to acquire funds from various avenues.

Similar to Jack Walker at Blackburn, Abramovich has bought trophies using a smaller club although its even to a much greater absurd level and in the history books there will always be an asterix alongside Chelsea with the name of Abramovich alongside it, as he alone has won his trophies, for however long hes there, and although Chelsea's long suffering fans may try to enjoy the novelty of seeing a trophy a the bridge, its all in vain, as obviously its severely tempered and hugely devalued by the fact that its Abramovichs' success not theirs, which leaves the Chelsea fans with a bitter taste in the mouth knowing its an individuals cheap, shoddy success devoid of any credibility, hence the ridicule from opposing fans which has openly riled and irritated Chelsea fans leaving them defensive and embittered with the reality of the situation. Infact, Abramovich actually could win the same trophies using any similar smaller club like Chelsea and as everyone knows it was very nearly Spurs that he used.

If im not mistaken but the last time West Ham were in the Premiership we did the league double over Chelsea with Di Canio scoring a cracker, and if Even Man City can get the better of Chelsea over 2 games in the league as they did last season, then im optimistic the hammers can too. Once again, many congratulations to Liverpool for Winning the Champions League Title and becoming the Champions of Europe for the fifth time, doing English Football proud yet again, see you lot at Upton Park where hopefully 3 points will be in the bag for the hammers at last. C'mon you Irons.
Old 08-12-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Arsenal
Old 08-12-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, go Gunners.
Old 08-13-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Arsenal and Liverpool. Is that even legal ?
Old 08-13-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No Christiano Ronaldo today for ManU
Old 08-13-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Arsenal and Liverpool. Is that even legal ?
Yes. The only illegal Liverpool pairings are with Chel$ki, Everton and ManYoo.

I have alot of respect for Arsenal.
Old 08-13-05, 06:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

dissapointing result but good performance from Liverpool today, I enjoyed Sissoko's play.
Old 08-13-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoyed the matches i saw today and yeah i wish 'Pool coulda got the win but just wasnt to be.Looking forward to seeing what Wigan can do tomorrow against Chelsea,talk about a nice welcome to the EPL
Old 08-14-05, 01:34 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

my prediction is 5 goals for chelsea
Old 08-14-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You were only off by 4 BDB Helluva effort by Wigan and a real heartbreaker with the Crespo goal in added time.
Old 08-14-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, we finally got Fox Soccer here so Im pretty happy about that...Dont know a whole lot about the EPL or much of the leagues in general, but since Im a Dutchmen, and huge Bergkamp fan looks like I am an Arsenal fan. Just excited that I can watch the games now, and get back into the sport again. Played for 15 years growing up, and being in a Dutch household was big part of my childhood. So it will be fun getting into it more and since baseball and football are starting to get a little boring for me, it will be nice to have a new sport to watch and cheer for.
Old 08-14-05, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well, we finally got Fox Soccer here so Im pretty happy about that...Dont know a whole lot about the EPL or much of the leagues in general, but since Im a Dutchmen, and huge Bergkamp fan looks like I am an Arsenal fan. Just excited that I can watch the games now, and get back into the sport again. Played for 15 years growing up, and being in a Dutch household was big part of my childhood. So it will be fun getting into it more and since baseball and football are starting to get a little boring for me, it will be nice to have a new sport to watch and cheer for.
I'm a huge fan of Dutch football and the Dutch national team. Which club do you support? (Please don't let it be Feyenoord...)
Old 08-14-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well everytime my Dad would come back for Holland, or anytime my Opa would send me something, I would always get an Ajax jersey or towel or something plus being Bergkamp's ex-team I would say them for sure...Again, Im not to knowledgeable about the various European clubs (which I am now learning more and more about) but during World Cup our house would always be decked out in Red, White, and Blue (for the Netherlands and US) and Orange.
Old 08-14-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nice win for the Gunners today...

And yesterday, what was up with Liverpool having trouble breaking midfield? They couldn't string too many passes through at all...I mean, yeah, it's the first game of the year, but the passing was very far off from being up to their normal standards.