Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

87th PGA Championship, August 11-14

Old 08-11-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

87th PGA Championship, August 11-14

87th PGA CHAMPIONSHIP

• Site: Springfield, N.J.

• Course: Baltusrol Golf Club, Lower Course (7,392 yards, par 70). First time a major has been played Baltusrol since the '93 US Open.

• Television: TNT (Today-Friday, noon-6 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.) and CBS (Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m.).

• Last year: Vijay Singh won his third major title, beating Justin Leonard and Chris DiMarco in a three-hole playoff at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin. Singh closed with a 4-over 76 to get into the playoff, then made his only birdie of the day on the first extra hole. He also won the 1998 PGA at Sahalee.
Old 08-11-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Seems like everyone picked Tiger. He shot a 39 (+3) on the front-9.
Old 08-11-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wish they could make this the last event of the year.

As a major, it really lacks something to set it apart from the other tournaments.
Old 08-11-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

There's always going to be ugly sister major no matter where you put it.

If they wanted to juice it up and make it stand out from the rest, they should go back to how they used to determine the winner of the PGA Championship: match play.
Old 08-11-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I wouldn't think that Tiger hits it straight enough off the tee to win here. Old Tiger could, but current Tiger barely htis 50% of his fairways off the tee.
Old 08-11-05, 01:56 PM

I would love it if he missed the cut.
Old 08-11-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I would love it if he missed the cut.

You obviously do not work for CBS.

Missing the cut is a distinct possibility. He shot a 75 and is currently tied for 102nd.
Old 08-11-05, 03:00 PM

You obviously do not work for CBS.
Yes, it would suck for them to show someone else playing golf, instead of long, lingering shots of Tiger scratching his butt.
Old 08-11-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought that was Caddy Steve's job.
Old 08-12-05, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
I thought that was Caddy Steve's job.
Apparently Steve is a little busy:

Only one question remains
Friday, August 12, 2005

This is what Tiger Woods must do this morning before he puts a tee into the ground on the first hole at Baltusrol, before he even hops into his loaner Buick LaCrosse and drives to the course.

He must look into the eyes of his caddie and trusted friend, Steve Williams, and ask one question:

Did you?

This is about integrity, about fair play and honesty, about everything Tiger Woods stands for as a professional golfer. He said yesterday he believes someone stepped on his ball as it rested in the hazard on the 18th hole.

We agree. Someone must have stepped on the ball.

And it looked like that someone could have been Steve Williams.

This is the rule: If a caddie steps on the ball during a search, intentionally or unintentionally, the player is assessed a one-stroke penalty. It is a penalty Woods did not add to his first-round 75 before signing his scorecard.

So if Williams did step on that ball, Woods should offer his humblest apology and disqualify himself from the PGA Championship. The rules are the most sacred part of golf, more important than any player or tournament. Unlike almost every other sport, it is up to the players to enforce them.

Which is why Tiger must ask that question.

Did you?

This is what we saw, Tiger. You knocked your tee shot well left and into the trees. Star-Ledger reporter Kevin Manahan got to the area where the ball landed before you or Williams did.

The search party arrived moments later, about a dozen strong. The group was looking in the wrong spot, too far from the six-foot wide brook that snakes along the left side hole. Fans, kept from the area across the brook, yelled for Williams to look closer to the water. He did.

Williams took a step, Manahan said, then abruptly shifted his feet and looked down. The ball was found right where he had stepped, plugged deep into the ground.

Deep enough, Woods insisted later, that someone must have stepped on it.

"If the ball hits a tree and ricochets down and the ground is pretty hard there, it should not embed that far," he said. "So we didn't know what the ruling was, if someone had stepped on it (or) whether they didn't."

We checked the replay, thanks to CBS and TNT. The footage from the moment, which took place before the telecast started, was shot through a tree and is fuzzy. It was impossible to say conclusively what happened from watching the tape.

But after replaying it several times, there appears to be only one person around the area where the ball landed during the search, and it was Williams.

Look, there is no smoking gun. Williams denied stepping on the ball. Maybe someone else got there before the cameras started rolling. Maybe it plugged that far on its own. There rarely is indisputable proof in golf, with the course covering 7,392 yards and 156 players playing on the same day. The cameras and the marshals cannot catch everything that happens, which is why it falls on the player.

David Toms, the 11th-ranked golf in the world, took himself out of the British Open after the first round when he wasn't sure if his ball was moving slightly when he tapped in on the 17th hole. He went to sleep thinking about it, and it still bugged him in the morning.

"It was just one of those iffy areas about whether or not a rule was violated, and I was the only one that saw it," Toms said then. "I just felt it was better that I disqualified myself."

Williams might need to do some soul searching as well. He definitely has to read the rule book again.

"Even if I did (step on the ball), it's not a penalty," Williams said from an idling car. "Not in a hazard. If I would have seen it, I would have stood on it."

I asked four caddies the same question: What happens if you accidentally step on a ball in a hazard? They gave me the same answer. It's a one-stroke penalty. Kerry Haigh, the PGA of America's Managing Director of Tournaments, said the same thing.

"No one knows whether or not someone stepped on the golf ball or not," said Woods, who was not directly asked if he thought Wiliams stepped on the ball. "They might have, but no one knew."

Someone might know. Someone who needs to answer for what happened on the 18th hole.

One question:

Did you?

Steve Politi appears regularly in The Star-Ledger.
Old 08-12-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently Steve is a little busy:
Hmmm, so are they going to make Steve the fall guy for Tiger's failure?
Old 08-12-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it would suck for them to show someone else playing golf, instead of long, lingering shots of Tiger scratching his butt.
Well since he didn't make the cut, I guess they can now pull the plug on the TV coverage? (
Old 08-12-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watching CBS last night, they kept running their standard "Tiger seeks his 3rd major of the year" promo. I guess they didn't have anything else prepared. Meanwhile, Mickelson was sharing the lead (which he currently has by four strokes) and they don't even mention him. It's frustrating - he's a great player, a popular player, and they can't even mention him. On a side note, I'm guessing this will be the first time Tiger has ever missed the cut in a major, at least since turning pro. Is that right?
Old 08-12-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow - Manboobs really got it going today. He shot a 65, sits at -8, and currently has a 4-shot lead.
Old 08-12-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by redcat
On a side note, I'm guessing this will be the first time Tiger has ever missed the cut in a major, at least since turning pro. Is that right?

I think so, but don't put the cart before the horse yet. He just started the 2nd round. In fact, he birdied the 1st.
Old 08-12-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unintentionally stepping on a ball while searching for it being a one-shot penalty might be one of the stupidest rules in all of sports. You gain no advantage from embedding a ball into the ground.
Old 08-12-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think so, but don't put the cart before the horse yet. He just started the 2nd round. In fact, he birdied the 1st.
My mistake - I looked at the espn.com leaderboard and for some reason I thought they had they had him listed as finished for today with a +3 projected cut, but looking back it said only through the second hole. I guess I should have known from the fact that there was no screaming "Tiger missed the cut at a major" headline when I logged on. I'd really like to watch today, but all I have is network, so I have to keep checking the internet.
Old 08-12-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

which online site has the most recent scoreboard (or updates the more often or more recently)?
Old 08-12-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
which online site has the most recent scoreboard (or updates the more often or more recently)?
http://pgachampionship.sportsline.com/index1.html
Old 08-12-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by redcat
My mistake - I looked at the espn.com leaderboard and for some reason I thought they had they had him listed as finished for today with a +3 projected cut, but looking back it said only through the second hole. I guess I should have known from the fact that there was no screaming "Tiger missed the cut at a major" headline when I logged on. I'd really like to watch today, but all I have is network, so I have to keep checking the internet.

Well now you may see it. He's gone backwards. He's +6 now. The projected cut line is +4.
Old 08-12-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff. thanks. man, I wish I were at home so I could watch Tiger play. He's not off to a great start, but I see the projected cut is 4 over, so he doesn't need to do that much to make it til the weekend.
Old 08-12-05, 02:40 PM

Charles Barkley on Tiger after he hits it in the water "Better not show his face now... because you know whats coming" He's +7 now.
Old 08-12-05, 02:41 PM

Well now you may see it. He's gone backwards. He's +6 now. The projected cut line is +4.
According to the pgatour.com site, the projected cut line is +3...
Old 08-12-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Woods' problem - the course has a meaningful rough.
Old 08-12-05, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
Woods' problem - the course has a meaningful rough.
Yeah, gotta love that. Of course, Singh (another long hitter) is -3, so it's not that bad.

Woods, at +7, is tied with Dave Duval.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.