Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Reason #572 the NCAA is teh suckekeke...

Old 08-11-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Reason #572 the NCAA is teh suckekeke...

Dogs fans show heart, but . . .
NCAA won't let them pay for dad's trip to game

By CHIP TOWERS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/11/05

ATHENS A group of Georgia football fans took up a collection to pay for a Boise State player's father to fly from Baghdad to see his son play against the Bulldogs in Athens.

But the NCAA rule book got in the way.

Georgia fans wanted to raise money to bring Dan Miller from Iraq to see his son play for Boise State, but the NCAA prohibits it.

Dan Miller, father of Broncos sophomore guard Tad Miller, is a retired police lieutenant who is training Iraqi police officers.

When Sam Hendrix of Signal Mountain, Tenn. "suthndawg" to his fellow Georgia fans on the Dawgvent, an Internet message board read a story in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the Millers, he started an online movement to raise the $2,700 it will cost Dad to make it to Sanford Stadium to see his son play in the home opener Sept. 3.

"Within moments of suthndawg's post, there were 25 to 50 people who offered to pledge money," said Ryan Crowe, a 25-year-old legal assistant from Atlanta who offered to collect and distribute the funds. "It just took off from there."

But when Crowe checked with the two schools, he was told the UGA fans' generosity would be a violation of NCAA bylaws regarding extra benefits and expenses for student athletes and their families.

"Ironically, by providing this money, these [Georgia] fans would in effect become Boise State boosters," said Amy Chisholm, UGA's assistant athletics director for compliance. The NCAA defines a booster as "a representative of an institution's athletics interests."

NCAA spokeswoman Gail Dent did not have an immediate response to questions about the situation Wednesday.

"Makes no sense to me," said Hendrix, a 56-year-old marketing consultant. "It just hits me that twice in a week, these people have lost touch with reality."

The NCAA caused a furor when it ruled last week that member schools' Native American mascots would no longer be allowed at championship events.

Word of the Georgia fans' good intentions and their being thwarted spread quickly via the Internet.

"It was such a nice and giving gesture, I almost felt embarrassed," said Kathy Miller, Tad's mother, who lives in Boise, Idaho. "We appreciate it so much. But we want people to know that the company Dan contracts for pays for his R&R every six months, and this will be his first time home since January. So his travel is taken care of."

"Perhaps they can collect money to send some underprivileged kids to the game or something," she added.

Kathy Miller said the family received other overtures from Georgia fans. One offered to host a party for the family when it arrives in Athens. Miller said she is running everything by Boise State's compliance office.

Said Crowe: "Us Georgia fans love our football but, as a collective group, we're pretty hospitable people."
It looks like the travel expenses aren't needed after all. Don't know where the Georgia fan got the amount needed of $2700.

So, a guy in Iraq is flying to Georgia for a game, and if a family wants to have him over for dinner to show thanks for what he is risking over there, they need to run it by a compliance office?

Sad.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp.../11gafans.html (full text included here, viewing may require subscription)
Old 08-11-05, 12:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just in shock the NCAA has made two decisions this week that doesn't result in them making millions of dollars.
Old 08-11-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
I'm just in shock the NCAA has made two decisions this week that doesn't result in them making millions of dollars.
Well, after all, the NCAA is a non-profit association
Old 08-11-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the NCAA wlll throw the book at a little school, like Boise State, but if Ohio State ever does anything wrong, it'll always look the other way.
Old 08-11-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Indian givers.
Old 08-11-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
the NCAA wlll throw the book at a little school, like Boise State, but if Ohio State ever does anything wrong, it'll always look the other way.

Not unless you're Maryland in the early 90s.
Old 08-11-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
as Jerry Tarkanian once said: "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that it's giving Cleveland State two more years of probation.".
Old 08-11-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the guy's kid played for Miami, NCAA would have chipped in $100 to fly him over.
Old 08-11-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate this more than you can possibly imagine. I have now been forced to side with Florida State and Georgia in the same week. Fuck you, NCAA. Fuck you.

das
Old 08-11-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I hate this more than you can possibly imagine. I have now been forced to side with Florida State

das
Welcome to the Darkside...Eventually, everyone comes around to our side. It is pointless to resist.
Old 08-11-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AJC Article

Said Crowe: "Us Georgia fans love our football but, as a collective group, we're pretty hospitable people."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp.../11gafans.html (full text included here, viewing may require subscription)
As a UGA graduate I am thrilled at the hospitality, but I am horrified by the grammar.