Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Drew Rosenhaus on Letterman (8/10)

Old 08-11-05, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Drew Rosenhaus on Letterman (8/10)

Anyone else see this? I watched with trepidation that Rosenhaus was just going to give the same lines he always uses ("I'm just doing it for the good of the players", "I just want what's fair", "The fans shouldn't hate me", "I'm a genius ... if you don't believe me, let me explain why", "I'm a hero ... I saved a boy's life") and that Dave would feed him softball questions and go along with it. Predictably, Rosenhaus did what I expected, but Dave made me happy. The first half of the interview was mostly Rosenhaus saying the same old stuff (though Dave got in a good line when Rosenhaus explained how he got started in being an agent by taking classes at U Miami with players: "What?!? Miami players go to classes?"). But Dave was getting visibly annoyed, and started getting more involved when the subject of TO came up. Dave asked for Rosenhaus to explain how TO was being exploited and underpaid, Rosenhaus started some spiel and Dave said, "No, tell me exactly how much TO is getting paid this year in this unfair contract?" Rosenhaus says the numbers quickly, and goes into TO's rankings among League WRs, but Dave goes back to the numbers saying "He makes that much, and you're angry about it?" with the audience booing Rosenhaus and cheering Dave. Dave then goes into questions about how the way Rosenhaus does business may be good financially for him and his clients, but bad for the sport and the fans.

There's a commercial break, and when they come back Rosenhaus goes right into his "I saved a kid's life" story (which you knew he wanted to get in to help his image). At the end of the story, Dave asked "So, did you demand your 3% from the kid?" Then Dave goes into the breaking news of TO getting kicked out of camp, and Rosenhaus dances around that until he obviously changes the subject to get Dave to talk about his favorite team, the Colts. That ploy works, and Dave mutters about the Colts, hopes for the Super Bowl, and hoping they get past the Patriots until time runs out.

All-in-all, an interesting segment. I'm paraphrasing some things, and left out some stuff, but that was about the gist of it. I'm glad Dave was honest in the interview, and didn't make it creampuff (and I got the sense he could've been much more hostile, but held some back). It's amazing how an "entertainment" show has harder questioning than ESPN interviews, like a recent one with Rosenhaus on PTI where they were really careful about saying anything critical to his face.
Old 08-11-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of an example is Rosenhaus setting for his clients by showing up and honoring his contract with The Late Show? He should've held out.
Old 08-11-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This guy can't go away fast enough. Having to watch TO is bad enough, now we have to suffer through his agent hamming it up for the camera. Just go away....
Old 08-11-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard on the radio that Rosenhous recently did a tv spot with Leigh Steinberg (sp?), and LS basically made a fool of DR, and made everyone notice the difference between a good agent and a bad agent. Any info on that?
Old 08-11-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just saw the ESPN interview my god are the 2 morons sleeping together?

Sure looks that way!!
Old 08-11-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How can TO and Drew not realize they both look like idiots? That ESPN interview was almost painful to watch. How the hell can the Eagles keep TO? He would be a cancer on that team. He doesn't respect his coaches, his quarterback, the fans. He is hopeless and I almost doubt any other team would even want him at this point.
Old 08-11-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Raiders might, after all they took Randy Moss, who at this point comes across as a class act.
Old 08-11-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It'll never happen in a millino years, but wouldn't you like to see, just once, the eagles waive him and no teams pick him up. He just sits at home and doesn't play for the rest of his life.

I can't even begin to explain how happy i'd be.
Old 08-12-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that millionaire is calling out that other millionaire about making millions of dollars. Fuck Dave, and fuck the Eagles.
Old 08-12-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by waporvare
How can TO and Drew not realize they both look like idiots? That ESPN interview was almost painful to watch. How the hell can the Eagles keep TO? He would be a cancer on that team. He doesn't respect his coaches, his quarterback, the fans. He is hopeless and I almost doubt any other team would even want him at this point.
That ESPN interview was painful to watch. I learned a imoportain lesson long ago, it is better to be though a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Well, TO and Drew Rosenthal certainly did remove all doubt.
Old 08-12-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yeah, that millionaire is calling out that other millionaire about making millions of dollars. Fuck Dave, and fuck the Eagles.
At least Dave shows up to work four days a week, unless he is having massive heart surgery or is on a scheduled vacation.
Old 08-12-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only saw the PTI interview, don't know if there was another ESPN one (I thought they were going to have an important one at halftime of the Chargers game last night). Owens saying that he has nothing to talk about with McNabb has gotta be the last straw. They shouldn't waive him, they should just not pay him for not honoring his contract, like the Bucs did with Keyshawn.

I understand the disparity in power between the owners and the players, but everytime I see Rosenhaus or TO talking, it takes me further and further away from their side.
Old 08-12-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate the argument that the owners have too much power. Yes they have a lot, but they have paid the price for that power. When the players start investing hundreds of millions of their own $ to buy teams, then I will listen to their argument. Until then, shut the hell up. YOU ARE THE EMPLOYEE. YOU ARE TAKING NO RISK. Fucking amazes me. That's like me thinking that I should have as equal a say in my company as the CEO or owner does.
Old 08-12-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't talking about the investment the owner makes, risk/reward, or how much a player makes, but the collective bargaining agreement that allows the team to cut a player at any time for any reason, while a player must fulfill his contract. So if a player's productivity drops for whatever reason (or the team wants to cut salary), he gets cut. If his productivity rises, he doesn't get a raise.
Old 08-12-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wasn't talking about the investment the owner makes, risk/reward, or how much a player makes, but the collective bargaining agreement that allows the team to cut a player at any time for any reason, while a player must fulfill his contract. So if a player's productivity drops for whatever reason (or the team wants to cut salary), he gets cut. If his productivity rises, he doesn't get a raise.
If his productivity drops, why shouldn't he get cut? Keeps players from half-assing it once they get a long-term contract signed. If you do not perform well enough, you shouldn't be on the team. If you are not on the team, you shouldn't get paid. I don't see the problem.
Old 08-12-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If his productivity drops, why shouldn't he get cut? Keeps players from half-assing it once they get a long-term contract signed. If you do not perform well enough, you shouldn't be on the team. If you are not on the team, you shouldn't get paid. I don't see the problem.
So by that reasoning, if you perform better than expected, you should get a raise, right? I'm just saying it's unfair to let the team get out of the contract at any time, but not allow the player to do the same thing. I know it's what they agreed to, but I don't think there's any other sport that does the same thing.

BTW, as I said before, by no means do I agree with TO holding out, I'm just presenting the reasoning behind why so many players believe they should be able to hold out. Well, besides the money.
Old 08-12-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So by that reasoning, if you perform better than expected, you should get a raise, right? I'm just saying it's unfair to let the team get out of the contract at any time, but not allow the player to do the same thing. I know it's what they agreed to, but I don't think there's any other sport that does the same thing.
Maybe the other sports have a sweeter deal, but that has nothing to do with the NFL, which is a separate entity. There are some things I wish were different about my employment, but I chose to work for that company. Just because another company or industry may have better conditions doesn't mean that I have an expectation of those things in my company. If players want NBA-style contracts, they should play in the NBA. There is nothing forcing them to sign NFL contracts. They CHOSE professional football knowing full-well the nature of NFL contracts.
Old 08-12-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an employment contract with my company, but if the company starts losing money, they can damn sure terminate my ass for no other reason than it financially benefits them.
Old 08-12-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's the rub with Drew and his "TO has outplayed his contract and should have his deal re-done" stance. The team should do it. But with the clear understanding that from now on all players that underplay their contracts will have their deals re-done as well. It's a slippery slope Drew is walking that could have dire consequences for players and agents alike.
Old 08-12-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Does TO and Rosenhaus remind anyone else of Sugar and Tidwell from Jerry Maguire? Like when TO looks like he needs a hug and Rosenhaus puts his hand on TO's knee... I don't know about the rest of the country but as a Ravens fan I'm watching this with a huge grin on my face. This might be my favorite non-Lance Armstrong sports story in 4 or 5 years.
Old 08-12-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I have an employment contract with my company, but if the company starts losing money, they can damn sure terminate my ass for no other reason than it financially benefits them.
Isn't your contract "at-will" though? Which means if you can make more somewhere else, you can leave and work there, right? Or are you stuck there?
Old 08-13-05, 10:17 AM

BTW, as I said before, by no means do I agree with TO holding out, I'm just presenting the reasoning behind why so many players believe they should be able to hold out. Well, besides the money.
Personally I think this is crap. The owners have millions of their own dollars invested in these players, and if they don't play well they should be released. The players are not taking a risk by signing a contract, what money do they have inested? Where do they lose money for sucking? It's just business and that's what the players and the idiot Drew Rosenhaus do not understand.
And the argument that he is just trying to give them security, and help them feed their families is BALLS...absolute BALLS. Get a real f'ing job, these guys have been handed everything on a silver platter their entire lives, and they expect me to feel bad for making a 3.5 million dollar base salary. Over the course of a 7 year contract he could retire comfortably as soon as that contract is up.
Cudos to the Eagles for giving Rosenhaus and TO the big screw you, and to every other franchise who refuses to re-negotiate with holdout players, or idiots.
Old 08-13-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cleaver
Does TO and Rosenhaus remind anyone else of Sugar and Tidwell from Jerry Maguire? Like when TO looks like he needs a hug and Rosenhaus puts his hand on TO's knee...
Well, doesn't DR see himself as the inspiration for Jerry Maguire? I skipped this interview -- I've pretty had enough of these two. If it isn't obvious, its all about the attention for TO. I don't think he did the ankle rehab because he cared about the Eagles winning the SB. He did it because the story would draw more attention to him. I'm sure he's much happier having a 9-122 game in a loss, than he would've been if he didn't have the ball thrown to him in a win. That's just the kind of guy he seems to be. SF learned it the hard way, BAL got a taste of it, and now Philly knows it. You'd have to think the other owners and players know it too (even if they won't say so publically). TO will go nuts just sitting at home, not playing. He'll start making up excuses to get camera crews to come to him. And I have a feeling the crap he's said so far about people in SF and Philly isn't anything compared to what he'll come up with if he senses the public's attention fading. And if he doesn't play, it will. Once the season starts there will be far more interesting stories.
Old 08-13-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, before you know it TO will insinuate that Donovan is gay.