Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

who will win the AL Cy Young?

Old 08-10-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

who will win the AL Cy Young?

ok.. time to ask again..
no need to even talk about the NL.. unless roger clemens lets kolb start pitching for him.. he is a lock

but the AL will be more interesting
the current espn.com poll has the following:

Mark Buehrle (13-4 2.79era)
Bartolo Colon (14-6 3.56era)
Jon Garland (16-5 3.29 era)
Mariano Rivera (30 saves 0.92 era)
Kenny Rogers (11-4 2.77era)

while rivera's numbers are impressive.. they have the rolaids relief pitcher award, for closers..

right now, i think its garland's to lose.
Old 08-10-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First, Rocket is not a lock in the NL, far too few wins to be a lock. Which is why you're probably right, Garland is in the lead, but I doubt he wins it. My money is on Buehrle.
Old 08-10-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might have to put Zito on that list if he keeps up his current pace.
Old 08-10-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Halladay would have been a strong contender for the Cy Young unfortunately his injury pretty much put the end of that.

If Garland is able to lower his ERA and get to 20 wins, I think the award goes to him.
Old 08-10-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, Roger will get screwed like Randy did last year. Phenomenal second half of the season, yet his win total was what screwed him.
Old 08-10-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No poll? It's Buerhle, he'll finally earn the recognition he deserves (a al Cy Santana last year). The man has been a lock for six innings every outing for a while now. Though I think he earned a demerit for high-fiving (sp?) his teammates after his ejection-shortened 5-2/3 inning start. White Sox pitchers sure love hitting batters. Little team syndrome?
Old 08-10-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
right now, i think its garland's to lose.
Agree, at this time Garland is the one with Colon right behind.

I refuse to pick any relief pitcher.
Old 08-10-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd go w/ Garland.

And the Rocket isn't a lock for the NL - you jackass!

Old 08-10-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah, Roger will get screwed like Randy did last year. Phenomenal second half of the season, yet his win total was what screwed him.
well, it's not like Carpenter is a bad choice right now, 16-4, 2.26 ERA, .98 WHIP. 129 hits, 161 K's, 39 BB's, 171 IP.

Roger is 11-4, 1.38 ERA, .96 WHIP. 106 hits, 139 K's, 43 BB's, 156 IP.

Roger has a much better ERA, a ridiculous ERA, but Carpenter is close or better in most other stats, and his ERA is still pretty sick. I agree, I think it's a lot like last year. Like last year, I thought RJ should have won, but was ok with Clemens. This year, I think Clemens should win, but Carpenter would be a fine choice.
Old 08-10-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buerhle should get it in the AL, Carpenter in the NL.

Garland shouldn't win it because he's not even the #1 starter on the team. If the coach doesn't think you're the best pitcher on the team, how can we all think you're #1 in the league?
Old 08-10-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Nope, I don't see it happening at all. Yes Randy should have won last year, but unless Roger starts pitching like just a good pitcher he's a lock. Johnson was amazing last year, but what hurt him was the 16-14 record. If Johnson had been 16-6 I think he would would have gotten it. Roger is currently 11-4 with a 1.38 ERA and is putting together the best season since Bob Gibson's '68 season where he posted a 1.12 ERA... basically the greatest season ever by a pitcher.

Can you remember the last time anyone has seriously talked about a pitcher comparing to Gibson's '68 season? Cause I sure can't. In 9 of Roger's starts he's allowed 0 ERs. He's 5-0 in those 9 starts. His worst outing of the season was a 5 inning, 4 run shallacking. Only the second time he allowed more than 3 runs. He's been quality every time he takes the mound and doing something that has never been done before. It's his to lose and if he finishes the season at 17-5 or 17-6 like I suspect he will, the vote will probably be unanimous.
Old 08-10-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Garland shouldn't win it because he's not even the #1 starter on the team. If the coach doesn't think you're the best pitcher on the team, how can we all think you're #1 in the league?
That's retarded. So, because Clemens is #1 on the Astros, Oswalt can never win? Any team that has more than one pitcher who's great, only one of them gets a shot at the Cy Young? And it's the manager who decides which one gets that shot? Buehrle is #1 on that team because he's earned it over the years, and because he's pitched great this year. That says nothing about who has pitched the best this year, i.e. deserves the Cy Young.
Old 08-10-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, the one knock against Clemens is that he hasn't pitched a single CG this season. Of course he did just turn 43 last week and I think voters are definitely going to remember that.
Old 08-10-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
To be fair, the one knock against Clemens is that he hasn't pitched a single CG this season. Of course he did just turn 43 last week and I think voters are definitely going to remember that.
He doesn't get a pass because of his age, and Carpenter has pitched quite a few more innings. One bad start by Roger would raise his ERA a fair amount, and if that happens, Carpenter starts looking much better.

Not saying Carpenter will win or should win, right now I'd give it to Rocket, but he's nowhere near the lock you seem to think.
Old 08-10-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

this is an AL CY Young thread, you fucktards!

rocket is a lock
Old 08-10-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Nope, I don't see it happening at all. Yes Randy should have won last year, but unless Roger starts pitching like just a good pitcher he's a lock. Johnson was amazing last year, but what hurt him was the 16-14 record. If Johnson had been 16-6 I think he would would have gotten it. Roger is currently 11-4 with a 1.38 ERA and is putting together the best season since Bob Gibson's '68 season where he posted a 1.12 ERA... basically the greatest season ever by a pitcher.

Can you remember the last time anyone has seriously talked about a pitcher comparing to Gibson's '68 season? Cause I sure can't. In 9 of Roger's starts he's allowed 0 ERs. He's 5-0 in those 9 starts. His worst outing of the season was a 5 inning, 4 run shallacking. Only the second time he allowed more than 3 runs. He's been quality every time he takes the mound and doing something that has never been done before. It's his to lose and if he finishes the season at 17-5 or 17-6 like I suspect he will, the vote will probably be unanimous.
But look at the games RJ pitched in where he lost. They were almost always 1 or 2 run losses. He kept his team close, which is what counts. Unfortunately, he was pitching for the AAA team last year. That's what killed him. Wins is an overrated stat for pitchers in contention in Cy Young. Should be a factor, but ERA and WHIP should be the best measures of how good a pitcher is.
Old 08-10-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He didn't throw a complete game when he "won" the Cy Young pitching for the Yankees. Of course that year his other stats were meerely above average. He won the year because of a 20-3 record bloated by many outings against the hapless Devil Rays, Blue Jays, and Orioles.

Wins are what matter to Cy Young voters, which often keeps betetr pitchers from winning. Obviously that favors Garland in the AL right now, but there is a huge chunk of the season left. I hope Buehrle wins, as he's the only start on that list who really deserves it (Colon's third on his team in ERA, Garland's just really lucky, and I refuse to take Kenny Rogers seriously). Halladay has a decent shot too. Maybe if one of the otehr guys goes on a nice run, they can enter the mix. I suppose one could argue for Mariano Rivera, but Rivera just thrown just 49 innings, and if Rivera's a candidate, then Dustin Hermanson has to be, which is just mind boggling.

If Garland's BABIP returns to normal, he's 4th in the AL right now, his candidacy will fade (althought o be fair Halladay and Rogers ahve been similarly lucky).
Old 08-10-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd be surprised if Garland wins it. I think Rivera wins by a hair over Buehrle.
Old 08-10-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by planetaire
No poll? It's Buerhle, he'll finally earn the recognition he deserves (a al Cy Santana last year). The man has been a lock for six innings every outing for a while now. Though I think he earned a demerit for high-fiving (sp?) his teammates after his ejection-shortened 5-2/3 inning start. White Sox pitchers sure love hitting batters. Little team syndrome?
He was retaliating after two White Sox players got plunked in consecutive games. He was protecting his batters. If his team wants to high-five him, I see nothing wrong with that.

And the White Sox are 9th in the AL in HBP.

Last edited by rabbit77; 08-10-05 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Buehrle for me. And if Rocket can keep his ERA under 2, he's a lock to me.
Old 08-10-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by planetaire
No poll?
yea.. this is the 3rd or 4th thread in the past couple days that I meant to start a poll in.. and forgot until it was too late

I'm still sick
Old 08-10-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
yea.. this is the 3rd or 4th thread in the past couple days that I meant to start a poll in.. and forgot until it was too late

I'm still sick

TEST HIM!!!!
Old 08-10-05, 01:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Buehrle

If Buehrle had Garland's run support he'd probably have 18 or 19 wins right now
Old 08-10-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Carpenter has five CG w/ four of them being shutouts.
Old 08-10-05, 05:51 PM

I don't believe a closer should ever win the Cy Young Award. No pitcher that only shows up for 1-2 innings should be considered, in my opinion, unless we say that we only care about how starters do in the first inning, or that we only care how batters do the first trip to the plate. If closers were really that talented, they'd be starters.

And of course all middle-relief pitchers are out, because they all suck.

If Clemens maintains his near-one run lead in ERA over Carpenter, he deserves to win, regardless of the win-loss record, strikeouts, or WHIP.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.