Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Didn't think the WWE could get less exciting?...

Old 08-06-05, 03:26 PM

Didn't think the WWE could get less exciting?...

World Wrestling Entertainment officials have made an effort to tone down several high flying moves, putting the word out that there is an unofficial ban of sorts on both the 450 splash and the shooting star press. The edict, said to have come down from Vince McMahon, is due to several recent injuries from the moves (Billy Kidman giving Chavo Guerrero a concussion with a shooting star, Juventud Guerrera nailing Paul London with a knee to the face with a 450 and causing a major scare, most notably). The edict actually went out about two weeks back to the Cruiserweights. When Paul London used a shooting star against Nunzio on a recent edition of Velocity, he was told not to do it again by WWE officials and to come up with a new finisher. London was said to have been noticeably upset about being told to tone down his style. It will be interesting to see how far the ban goes in what other top rope maneuvers are toned down and whether it will be similar to the tombstone/piledriver, where WWE will only allow Kane and The Undertaker to use the moves on big shows for dramatic effect.
source (make sure your pop-up blocker is on): http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=12163&p=1

----------------------------------------------------------------------
London has no luck these days. First they get rid of a guy he can have great matches with (Akio), a guy he had a great feud they screwed up (Kidman). Then they send the guy he's feuding with now to Raw (Chavo). On Velocity tonight
Spoiler:
he loses the title because Vito gets involved, then he has to cut a promo about stoping the crooks which will make the fans say yay!...more like bah!
London can cut great promos and have matches with wrestlers bigger than cruiserweights. At least Jamie Noble and Spany are coming back. London has had great matches with Noble, and teamed with Spanky. Most of the stuff he used to use most likely wouldn't be on the list of moves you can use in WWE. Yes...I'm a London fan. I'm an even bigger fan of his shooting star press, the one he hit on Velocity was beautiful.

What I don't understand his how there's so many injuries in the WWE. You see a Petey Williams hit the flip powerdriver almost every week in TNA. Most indy shows have a few piledrivers, off the top rope at times and scores of other moves that are banned in the WWE, yet most injuries are knee and shoulder.

I wonder how far this will go, Eddie Guerrero messed up his arm or shoulder pretty back a couple years back, ban the frog splash. A DDT puts a guy down pretty hard on his head, get rid of them too. And clotheslines, you see how hard a guy gets hit in the neck!!! I guess it'll be down to lockups and Irish whips. Wait, check that, an Irish whip would cause whiplash.

To quote Delirious..."BAH!!"
Old 08-06-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Man....I thought you were going to report that Vince has announced an all MIDGET WWE league...

way ta get my hopes up, man
Old 08-07-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's why we need TNA's X-Division to gain some more popularity and TV time so the WWE will let their cruiser's do more.
Old 08-08-05, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bring on Midget Snitsky!
Old 08-08-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

an unofficial ban of sorts on both the 450 splash and the shooting star press.
When told of the ban, The Undertaker said, "What the hell is a 450 splash and shooting star press?"
Old 08-08-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
When told of the ban, The Undertaker said, "What the hell is a 450 splash and shooting star press?"
5/5.
Old 08-08-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that Juvi 450 looked pretty scary to me, too. What amazes me is that they can still bodyslam someone on a pile of thumbtacks for a PPV, but they ban other moves.

I thought the shooting star press was "banned" a while back, while Brock was still using it as his finisher?
Old 08-08-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this why Booker T doesn't do his 360 top rope guillotine leg drop?
Old 08-08-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
What's a shooting star press, brother?

D'oh, beaten by the Goose.
Old 08-08-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Juvy's 450 was pretty nasty when he pretty much landed on the face of London
Old 08-09-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by edytwinky
Juvy's 450 was pretty nasty when he pretty much landed on the face of London
Yeah it did...
Old 08-10-05, 12:39 AM

I thought Juvi's 450 kneedrop was awesome, I've never seen that before...wait...it wasn't supposed to be a kneedrop? Oh.

They didn't ban the SSP after Brock nearly killed himself, just banned Brock. In OVW Brock was able to do a suprisingly good SSP, he tagged with Benjamin who used a 450.

on the plus side...I know what move London could use, the standing shooting star press! He even used it as his finisher on Velocity once.

I just realized the only thing worse than the diva search is midgets. I bet next year Vince will have the midget diva search.
Old 08-12-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember when WCW ruled on the cruiser division, and they didn't have as much injury as WWF/E now. All the young cruisers, as well as the Lucha's performed incredible moves on WCW tv without injuries, as well as heavyweights with pile driver finishers.

perhaps because now that WWF/E is the only game in town, wrestlers are a lot more nervous to not blow a spot, or to offend the bookers, so they are under pressure, so that could be the factor when they perform, which leads to injuries?
Old 08-13-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also, i am surprised that for the ecw ppv, the wrestelers seemed to take huge risks,
Old 08-14-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Man....I thought you were going to report that Vince has announced an all MIDGET WWE league...

way ta get my hopes up, man
I was looking forward to the return of...

Old 08-14-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was a kid, any move off the top rope was an automatic DQ.
Old 08-18-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wrestling has been awful for the last two years, and is even worse now. No real competition, plus the fact that it's the most predictable event in history, makes it that way.