Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

SF Giants Radio Host "Racist Comments"

Old 08-05-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SF Giants Radio Host "Racist Comments"

I read the article: article and found it to be MOSTLY much ado about nothing. I assume that specifying "Carribean" players was the offensive phrase. I imagine that specifying "European" or "African" players would have been similarly racist.

The Cream of Wheat comment is completely innocuous. It doesn't take an oatmeal brain to understand that the analogy was intended to imply that Alou's brain had turned to mush, not that he looked like the dude on the Cream of Wheat package... UGH.
Old 08-05-05, 10:07 PM

Yeah...this is complete crap. Those players should be offended by their horrific play.
Old 08-05-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Political correctness is destroying this country. This is getting ridiculous... The guy has nothing to apologize for.
Old 08-06-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What, what, WHAT?!? Are we missing something here (re: the Cream of Wheat comment)? Is there context that is not provided in the article? If not, what the fuck is wrong with people? This comes across as staggeringly stupid.

das
Old 08-06-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it was the Cream of Wheat remark that offended them. I think they had a problem with the fact that he called those Caribbean players, "Caribbean". The horror!

Krueger's verbal bashing of the Giants' players and Alou was still available in an audio download from KNBR's Web site Friday, but the word "Caribbean" had been edited out.

"It was offensive and we took it out," Salvadore said.
Old 08-06-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well to be quite honest they are a bunch of carribean players swinging at slop
Old 08-06-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are from the Carribean and its an insult to be called Carribean players? Am I missing something in the way the comments were made?
Old 08-06-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
You are from the Carribean and its an insult to be called Carribean players? Am I missing something in the way the comments were made?
From what I heard, Alou is mad that the host wasn't criticizing white people too. He doesn't seem to be angry at the players who are sucking, though.
Old 08-06-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I personally find it pretty offensive, since he has to make it an issue that they are from a certain part of the world and thus suck. He doesn't refer to the entire team, but to just the players that are from a certain area. I don't think they were racist, but I do think that the comments were racially-motivated.
Old 08-06-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
From what I heard, Alou is mad that the host wasn't criticizing white people too. He doesn't seem to be angry at the players who are sucking, though.

JT Snow has always sucked with the bat

Any other whities on the field (non pitchers)?
Old 08-06-05, 06:31 PM

Update

So far, still seems like something is either missing, or an extreme communication problem...
Old 08-06-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matheny and Snow's backup Niekro. In other words, guys from which you'd never expect much production. Those three are actually at or slightly above their career averages.
Old 08-06-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I personally find it pretty offensive, since he has to make it an issue that they are from a certain part of the world and thus suck. He doesn't refer to the entire team, but to just the players that are from a certain area. I don't think they were racist, but I do think that the comments were racially-motivated.
I kind of agree, after hearing it mentioned on Sportscenter and reading it here. It doesn't really bother me too much, but it just seems silly for only Caribbean players to be singled out as a group that isn't playing well. There's just no reason for it. I can see how people would be irked if any group was specifed like that.

The Cream of Wheat part doesn't really mean anything to me though.
Old 08-07-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not one of the "hundreds of millions" that was offended.
Old 08-07-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alou is using the race card to take all of the attention away from his shitty Giants' play on the field.
Old 08-07-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Alou is using the race card to take all of the attention away from his shitty Giants' play on the field.

Him and Dusty just need to give the race card a rest.
Old 08-07-05, 11:12 PM

Really, this is no different than European hockey players being called soft all the time.

Ok, being called brain dead is a little harsher, but still.
Old 08-08-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Carribean is now racially insensitive. Some people work pretty damn hard to be offended.
Old 08-08-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there a transcript of what exactly the guy said?

Just based on the "brain-dead Carribean players hacking at slop" quote, I can't understand the outrage. I can't remember how many times over the years I have heard "Carribean" players espousing their "you can't walk off the Island" approach to hitting. It seems to me that this guy was playing off of that mantra. It wasn't nice to say "brain-dead," but the guy was very specific in calling out players from the island nations and not Latinos in general.

Whatever. The guy probably got carried away with his sports jock bravado and is rightfully paying for it.

Last edited by the big train; 02-20-07 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It sucks that we've gotten to the point where we have to watch everything we say. And it's funny that the government has nothing to do with it.
Old 08-09-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Carribean is now racially insensitive.
Unless Omar Minaya says it. Then it's a good thing, and a sound business model for building a [snicker]contending[/snicker] baseball team........
Old 08-10-05, 07:58 AM

Update - Fired!!!

I'm guessing hundreds of millions of people are feeling a bit better now...

Old 08-10-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Big Quasimodo
Update - Fired!!!

I'm guessing hundreds of millions of people are feeling a bit better now...

I read that ' hundreds of millions '
I want what ever medication Alou is on.
Old 08-10-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is stupid beyond belief. I lived in the Bay Area for a while and the words "controversial talk-show host Larry Krueger" are just laughable. If anything this guy, if I am remembering correctly, was one of the biggers homers around for the Giants and for the Warriors (also on that radio station).
Old 08-10-05, 10:53 AM

Kenny Rogers 13 games, Frank Francisco 15 games, all steroid abusers 10 games, all these guys lose their job? Fuck baseball.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.