Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith

Old 08-01-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith

did anyone else catch this today? they hyped the heck out of it and then he spent an hour talking to allen iverson. pretty boring stuff.
Old 08-01-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why the fuck does ESPN continue to give this asshat a job? The worse he does the more exposure he gets...it's mindboggling.
Old 08-01-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure this will be the minority viewpoint, but I liked the show. While not the biggest Stephen A. fan in the world, I'm liking the show so far and found the Iverson interview pretty interesting. I used to like listening to Smith when he would occassionally guest on ESPN radio - he dropped most of the schtick & hyperbole and just brought the real. Hopefully his show will be more of that and less of the stuff you see on ESPN's NBA show.
Old 08-01-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Daryl

I'm sure this will be the minority viewpoint ...
It will also be the correct one. I enjoyed it too. I'd much, much, much rather listen to a major sports figure talk in his own words for the better part of an hour than a bunch of loud and obnoxious sports writers argue amongst each other with their annoyingly simplistic views on the day's sporting "news". Now, Iverson's a compelling figure, so it's no surprise this episode was interesting. I'm curious how it goes with guests who may not have so much to talk about. I don't have any problems with Smith -- he's much better than most of the talking heads on the network -- but to his credit, he didn't do or say much and just let AI run the show. Again, it should be interesting to see how other guests are.

I didn't really know what to expect and figured this would be another Jim Rome type show where some asshat just ranted about his opinion for an hour, but now that I've seen the show, I'm actually interested. My future interest will likely depend on the guest, but it's a good start.

das
Old 08-01-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good points, das, I hadn't thought it all the way through like that. I could see a very straightforward guest dragging the show down under the same format. The AI stuff was good cuz his usual defenses that he has around the media weren't up, and he was just being himself, including crying when the Larry Brown clip was shown.
Old 08-02-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forget everything i said yesterday - this show now sucks due to day 2 being a Notre Dame lovefest featuring Weiss, Holtz, Regis Philbin, and Rocket Ismail. Even the crowd was all-Irish. I'm sure das now puts it in his top 5 shows of all time though.
Old 08-02-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught this today and have to say it wasnt too bad...Smith is an ass I agree, but hes better than most on ESPN and this was at least half-way entertaining to watch. Now I just have to watch when they have people on I care about.
Old 08-02-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Daryl

Forget everything i said yesterday - this show now sucks due to day 2 being a Notre Dame lovefest featuring Weiss, Holtz, Regis Philbin, and Rocket Ismail. Even the crowd was all-Irish. I'm sure das now puts it in his top 5 shows of all time though.
Top 5, my ass. Top 1. This episode was so great, I had to pause it a few times to catch my breath.

das
Old 08-03-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So today is McNabb?
Old 08-03-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Top 5, my ass. Top 1. This episode was so great, I had to pause it a few times to catch my breath.

das
good stuff!
Old 08-03-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
So today is McNabb?
Think so.