Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Rafael Palmiero tests positive for steroids

Old 08-11-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
That he would be on steroids. He's not the first guy I would think of. I guess anything's possible, though.
That was just a list of players who were headed to the Hall for-sure or was close to it, I didn't imply any of them would be on steroids, although you can never really tell just by looking at anyone.
Old 08-11-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know you werent accusing, I just figured Ichiro would be a lot less likely and would be one of the last ones I would suspect, so I found it amusing.
Old 08-11-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

i wanna know, i wanna know
NOW!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-05, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
i wanna know, i wanna know
NOW!!!!!!!
I do, too. I hope it's not Mo'
Old 08-12-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Damn. I'm just impressed that local guys from AZ here were talking about this a few weeks ago, before any national media attention.
Old 08-12-05, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
That was just a list of players who were headed to the Hall for-sure or was close to it, I didn't imply any of them would be on steroids, although you can never really tell just by looking at anyone.
your list is very generous.
Old 09-07-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like Mike Morse has been suspended 10 days for steroid use.
Old 09-07-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

looks like it's trace ammounts remaining from a couple yrs back. this is his 3rd suspension for the same roids!
Old 09-07-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

who is mike morse
Old 09-07-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

seatle SS i believe
Old 09-07-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by moorehed
looks like it's trace ammounts remaining from a couple yrs back. this is his 3rd suspension for the same roids!
well, that's what he says.
Old 09-26-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

players OK the 20 game penalty for first offense
http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http:/...092618&srvc=sz
Old 09-26-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
players OK the 20 game penalty for first offense
http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http:/...092618&srvc=sz
I'm glad to see that they changed to actual games instead of days.
Old 10-05-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Palmeiro never did steroids, Juan Gonzalez says. And of course we can trust Juan Gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2181227
Old 10-05-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
well, that's what he says.
And the doctors that testifed on his behalf at the appeal.

Even baseball execs have admitted that it very well could be trace amounts from way back, but the drug policy makes no provisions for testing positive from the same usage......
Old 10-05-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jobronie
And the doctors that testifed on his behalf at the appeal.

Even baseball execs have admitted that it very well could be trace amounts from way back, but the drug policy makes no provisions for testing positive from the same usage......
Trace amounts from way back and "never" are 2 very different things.

But mostly, I think you missed the joke. Juan Gone is simply not a very trustworthy source, IMO. The fact that he is one of the people who has always been suspected of steroid use makes his statements rather self-serving. Not saying they're not true, just appreciating the humor of it.
Old 10-05-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Trace amounts from way back and "never" are 2 very different things.

But mostly, I think you missed the joke. Juan Gone is simply not a very trustworthy source, IMO. The fact that he is one of the people who has always been suspected of steroid use makes his statements rather self-serving. Not saying they're not true, just appreciating the humor of it.
The post you quoted was about Morse, not Palmeiro/Gonzalez.
Old 10-05-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gammons on Morse....

Morse's bad 3-for-1 deal

By Peter Gammons
Special to ESPN.com
Sept. 7

The first time Mike Morse tested positive, he was in the White Sox' farm system, in May 2004.

"I told them the truth," Morse said Wednesday afternoon. "I didn't tell them that it was a mistake or it was a supplement or that I didn't know how it got in my body. I told them I took steroids. I told them I made a mistake, that the test was correct. And I was violated."

The Mariners rookie was suspended Wednesday -- for that same mistake -- for the third time.

"This is really an incredible thing, and I was embarrassed and ashamed," Morse said. "But how many times do I have to pay for this? But at least this is over. I've been living with this nightmare since my hearing [July 19 in Toronto], waiting for a decision."

Arbitrator Sam Das backed every aspect of Morse's story. In his decision, he said there were no performance-enhancing effects gained from the low level of steroids found in his blood in early May. Das acknowledged that Morse was being punished for the same offense three times, but noted that, because there is no correlation between the minor- and major-league tests, the Players Association considers the player to have a blank slate when he is put on a major-league roster.

"People are forever going to think that the only reason I got to the big leagues was because I took steroids," said the 23-year-old Morse, who is hitting .287 and had a huge hit in the Mariners' 3-2 win Tuesday night -- just hours after breaking down in tears in the clubhouse when informed of MLB's impending announcement. "I'm in the majors despite the steroids, but who believes it?"

The arbitrator believed him, but would not overturn MLB's decision, which offers up a positive test to Congress.

Morse was 21 years old and had a severely torn thigh muscle at the end of the 2003 season.

"I really thought my career could be over," he said. "I was trying to rehab, but it wasn't going well [in fact, it still isn't completely healed]. So I tried to speed it up."

In November and December of 2003, Morse took Deca. Then he found he was getting too big, and tried Winstrol.

"I quickly found that I made a serious mistake," Morse said. "But I paid the price."

He tested positive in May 2004. A month later, he was traded to Seattle in the Freddy Garcia deal. He told the Mariners that he had tested positive, that he'd taken nothing since January, but he was tested again in July -- and tested positive again. The test showed a noticeable decline in the steroids, confirming his assertion. But the Players Association cannot deal with minor-league cases, and Morse -- then playing for Double-A San Antonio -- was suspended again.

"This winter, I hired a nutritionist because I wanted to make sure that I didn't put anything in my body that could test positive," Morse said.

However, when he was tested this May, there was a minor residue from the steroids he said he last took 14 months earlier, a claim that doctors in the arbitration hearing said could be true.

"The arbitrator even said that there is little doubt that because there was so little left -- .2 above the level -- that he accepted my story as the truth," Morse said. "But they didn't care that I'd been punished twice before. Right now, everything is completely out of my body."

But Mike Morse is out for 10 days.

Because of the unusual nature of the case, Morse's positive test went to the arbitrator. It was heard in Toronto after the All-Star break.

"That was the worst series of my career," Morse said. "I think I made five errors. But I've been living with this ever since, not sleeping, worried about the result. Now this."

Morse said manager Mike Hargrove has known about his dilemma, and according to Morse, he's "been really supportive. I didn't think I'd be in the lineup [Tuesday] night, but he put me in there. Maybe that was the best thing."

He played left field, and almost caught on fire when he slid into a heater in the Oakland bullpen trying to make a catch. He had two hits, including a double, scored a run and had an RBI.

"Playing," he said, "took my mind off this nightmare."

There is no question that baseball needs a stronger steroids testing system. But that doesn't mean that it should have a system that suspends human rights and fairness. That Morse could be suspended three times for the same mistake is unfair. Because minor-league players have no union protection, the lack of coordination between the minor and major leagues raises the specter of potential abuse by the commissioner's office. Also, the notion that everyone who enters the Players Association has a clean slate means that a player could test positive five times in the NFL, switch sports and have no record.

The Morse case is a reminder that steroids can be a complex area, and that while multimillion-dollar players can afford masking agents to escape tests not capable of detecting designer drugs, a minor leaguer -- scared that his career could be over -- can be in violation three times for the same mistake.

Major League Baseball knew all this. But because offenders are run up the flagpole and held out in the square of public opinion as an offering to Congress, a Mike Morse can be a three-time loser for a one-time offense.

"I never tried to claim that there was a mistake [in the testing]; I tried to be honest," he said.

The mistakes are in the system.
Old 10-05-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The post you quoted was about Morse, not Palmeiro/Gonzalez.
Oh, sorry, that post was a month old, didn't really pay attention to it, since I just bumped the thread for an entirely different thing.