Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: How should we remember the 1985 Chicago Bears?
A one hit wonder just like the Baltimore Ravens
21.95%
One of the All-Time Greats like 49'ers,Steelers,Redskins
70.73%
Underachivers, selfish players
7.32%
I forgot all about them already.
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

The 1985 Chicago Bears a great team?

Old 07-31-05, 01:15 AM
Banned

The 1985 Chicago Bears a great team?

With this being the 20th anniv. of the Chicago Bears winning a Super Bowl.
After that win the Bears were young and were expected to win another Super Bowl, that never happened. They had a mock NFL Films playoff of the greatest teams of the NFL and they were on the list. Even when EA Sports video games came out in the early 1990's they included the 85 Bears in their John Madden series. But were they just a one hit wonder?
The players seemed selfish more intrested in making commercials, in fact now they banded together in a company that all appearances made to capitalize on the 20th anniv. will go into this company to be divied into the players.
Being from Chicago even the Brett Favre Green Bay Packers went back to bcak to the Super Bowl and also the John Elway Broncos.
What do you guys think?
Old 07-31-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An all time great without question.
Old 07-31-05, 02:37 AM

definitely one of the all-time greats.
Old 07-31-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

no doubt that was one of the all time greatest
Old 07-31-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-31-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nowhere near the 80's 49ers or 70's Steelers...not even close. More along the lines of the Ravens.

I could go into details, but offensively, the Bears teams had nowhere near the talent of the Niners or Steelers.

The Bears were a supremely talented defense (largely due to Buddy Ryan's schemes) and a pedestrian offense with the great Walter Payton anchoring.

The Niners and Steelers defensive teams were great too.

And, Mike Ditka is a joke compared to Chuck Noll and Bill Walsh. Check out his NO stint for further evidence. Ditka rode Buddy Ryan's coat tails like Jerry Jones rode Jimmy Johnson's.

And, the proof is in the pudding. Like you said, they won ONCE - not 4 times.

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 07-31-05 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-31-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, what makes them a great team instead of a one-hit wonder? If their team was one of the all-time greats... why couldn't they even make it back to the big game?

They lost in the first round of the playoffs the next two years... and made it as far as the NFC Championship game the year after that. How does that make them one of the greatest teams of all time?
Old 07-31-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Sure - one of the all-time great teams when talking about a single season.

There were essentially a one-hit wonder though, not quite to the degree of the '00 Ravens. It was great seeing the Skins smack them down in the playoffs the subsequent 2 years.
Old 07-31-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 1985 Bears were one of the greatest Championship teams ever. What they did before or after takes nothing away from what they did in 1985.
Old 07-31-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shizawn
The 1985 Bears were one of the greatest Championship teams ever. What they did before or after takes nothing away from what they did in 1985.
Pretty much how I feel.
Old 07-31-05, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Pretty much how I feel.
Me too. Great, dominating team. One of the best ever, with one the greatest players ever.

With that said they should have won more than one SB.

And Ditka should have given Payton the ball in the SB...not the Fridge. It's shame Payton didn't get to score.
Old 07-31-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, sure, yeah. But were they one of the greatest teams of all-time?

I said no, but then I read this ESPN article:

Papa Bear would've been proud of '85 team
By Eddie Epstein
Special to ESPN.com

Editor's note: Our series on the greatest NFL teams of all time concludes with its 12th installment and a look at the 1985 Bears the greatest team ever.

The 1985 Chicago Bears would have represented the good and the bad to Papa Bear George Halas. It is highly doubtful that he would have approved of the hype surrounding Refrigerator Perry and Jim McMahon's headbands, and it's really doubtful he would have enjoyed the Super Bowl Shuffle. In general, the cult of personality that the Bears generated would not have been something that Halas would have liked. William Barry Furlong wrote about Halas, "He has all the warmth of breaking bones, a personality as daring as twin beds?"

It's just as clear, however, that Halas would have loved the Bears on the field. The utter domination of their opponents as well as their physical and intimidating style of play would have reminded him of his best teams, the teams that earned the Bears the nickname "The Monsters of the Midway."

While Jim McMahon was no Sid Luckman, the 1985 Bears made a lot of big plays through the air as did the Luckman-led Bears. Although the modern-day running game uses many fewer backs than the teams of the '40s, '50s, or '60s, both the 1985 Bears and Halas' best teams had very effective running attacks. Halas' best teams played ferocious defense that often totally stymied opposing offenses and, of course, the 1985 Bears played the same way. The Bears under Halas almost always played hard for 60 minutes as did the 1985 Bears. All things considered, I guess Papa Bear wouldn't mind if we called the 1985 Bears "The New Monsters of the Midway."

A few facts about the '85 Bears before I tell you why I think they are the best team of all time, at least for one season since 1950:

* Since the adoption of the 16-game schedule in 1978, the 1985 Chicago Bears are the only team to score 400 or more points while allowing fewer than 200.

* Led by the great Walter Payton, who ran for 1,551 yards and a 4.8 average per carry, the Bears led the NFL in rushing yardage and were fifth in average yards per carry.

* The Bears led the NFC and were fourth in the NFL in average yards per pass attempt. Are you sick of hearing about that stat? Tough.

* The Bears led the NFC and were second in the NFL in average yards per completion. Doesn't sound like an ultra-conservative offense to me.

* Including their three postseason games, the Bears were outgained in a game just once the entire season.

* The Bears' defense forced 54 turnovers, the fifth-highest total since the beginning of the 16-game schedule.

* The Monday Night game against the Dolphins on December 2 is still the highest-rated game in the history of Monday Night Football with a 29.6 rating.

* Nine members of the '85 Bears were homegrown first-round picks. Five of them played in the Pro Bowl.

* The Bears outgained their three playoff opponents by an amazing margin of 1,023 yards to 434.

* In the Super Bowl, the Patriots made positive yardage on just one of their first 16 offensive plays.

Record: 15-1

Points scored/allowed: 456/198

Adjusted power index: +7.25

Opponents' record: 120-120 (.500)*

Record against teams with winning records: 5-1

Points scored/allowed against teams with winning records: 180/71
*For all of these opponents' records, games against this team are excluded.

I could list a dozen more. The Bears had an amazing 1985 season.

OK, so why did I pick them as the best team of all time? There's a reason I listed those four pieces of information about each team. Those were the main criteria I used to rank the teams and to pick a winner. The Bears' credentials are simply the best of the bunch. They had a great record, they had a great Power Index and they played exceptionally well against good teams, not even counting their amazing playoff performance.

Only one of these 12 teams had a better overall record than the '85 Bears, only one had a better Power Index, and no one played as well against quality competition. Only the '89 49ers had a playoff run that resembles the '85 Bears in terms of dominance. Simply put, there were no negatives in the 1985 Bears' record, which can't be said about any of the other 11 teams on the list, at least relative to each other.

I don't think this selection will be too controversial, although I have never steered away from controversy. In fact, the 1985 Chicago Bears may still be the most famous team in NFL history and much of their fame comes from the brilliance of their season, the best season by a team in NFL history.
Old 07-31-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The best things about this team are:

The music video
Buddy Ryan (which later gave us the pork chop bowl)
SNL Ditka skits
Old 08-01-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clearly the most dominating defense of all time.

No points allowed in the playoffs until the 2nd string was playing in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.
Old 08-01-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-01-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im sure it was a great time to be a coke dealer hanging out around Soldier Field.
Old 08-01-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by leepyswetr
Clearly the most dominating defense of all time.

No points allowed in the playoffs until the 2nd string was playing in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

Clearly? I wouldn't say 'clearly.' The '00 Ravens defense was incredible. I don't think a single unit on a championship team has ever meant so much. Gave up 33 fewer points than the '85 Bears D. Maybe the Bears D was the most dominating, but it is not clear by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 08-01-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Clearly? I wouldn't say 'clearly.' The '00 Ravens defense was incredible. I don't think a single unit on a championship team has ever meant so much. Gave up 33 fewer points than the '85 Bears D. Maybe the Bears D was the most dominating, but it is not clear by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 08-01-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
The Patriots scored first in that Super Bowl!!
Yeah, but they gained no yards on the "drive." Hard to hang that on the defense.
Old 08-01-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
There were essentially a one-hit wonder though, not quite to the degree of the '00 Ravens. It was great seeing the Skins smack them down in the playoffs the subsequent 2 years.
I think the 85 Bears would have put the "smack" on the 00 Ravens easily. The Bears probably fit into the one-hit-wonder category, but of ALL the Super Bowl winners, I think their defense was the best of the lot.
Old 08-01-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think the 85 Bears would have put the "smack" on the 00 Ravens easily. The Bears probably fit into the one-hit-wonder category, but of ALL the Super Bowl winners, I think their defense was the best of the lot.

I agree. That's why I said it is a different one-hit wonder. Nobody thinks the '00 Ravens were one of the greatest one hit teams ever.
Old 08-01-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted 1 hit wonder, but would like to add that these guys had some pretty stiff NFC competition (Walsh's 49ers, Tuna's Giants, Gibbs' Redskins)

That was a hell of an era in the NFC.

Still, they were a singular event of greatness that does not deserve comparison to consistently great teams (see above, plus Steelers, Dolphins, Cowboys...)
Old 08-01-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the Bears would have added at least one more SB to their belts had Martin not slammed McMahon with one of the worst unsportsman hits I have seen.
Old 08-02-05, 03:15 PM
Banned

That Bears would have added another Super Bowl had the team players welcomed Doug Flute when he came in. Instead their egos gave Flutie a hard time.