Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Center Ice Package??

Old 07-26-05, 03:39 PM
bcd

NHL Center Ice Package??

I figured that since this is more of a sports fan question than a TV question I would post it in here. Feel free to move if necessary.

I was just wondering for those of you who have previously ordered the Center ice package, What ws the approximate cost, and what were your thoughts about it. I am looking to purchase it, About 99.9% positive that I will be buying it but I still would like to hear some thoughts and opinions, likes and dislikes, stuff like that.

BCD
Old 07-26-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

They'll probably have a free-view of it for the first week of the season. MLB and NBA do that.
Old 07-26-05, 06:07 PM

I was thinking about this recently... I wish the NHL would give it away free as a token of goodwill for the lockout.

Of course, they're logic probably is that only the diehards will watch it, and those diehards were probably willing to pay the ~$100 to order it.

Either way... I will definitely get it as it might be the only way to see games outside my market this year. (Except for maybe 10 games on NBC this year)
Old 07-27-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was $135 when I got it on DirecTV in '03-'04. There have been rumors of a much cheaper price, but nothing concrete yet. I'll definitely get it if it's $50 or less, and maybe get it at $51-$100. If it's $135 or more like it was before I won't be getting it at all.
Old 07-27-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Two quick questions about this. Does Comcast cable offer it and will the games be in HD?
Old 07-27-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dave-o
Does Comcast cable offer it and will the games be in HD?

Yes and no.
Old 07-28-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there are rumblings that Mark Cuban wants to broadcast some games on HDNet, which had awesome hockey coverage. I loved the Sounds of the Game segment.
Old 07-28-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
there are rumblings that Mark Cuban wants to broadcast some games on HDNet, which had awesome hockey coverage. I loved the Sounds of the Game segment.
I've already seen ads on HDNet for Hockey this year.

I don't plan on buying, but if it does come down to around $50 then count me in!
Old 07-28-05, 01:00 PM

Id be all over it if the games were in HD
Old 07-28-05, 05:59 PM

I've been trying to order center ice for a few years, and my shitty cable provider (comcast) never had it in my area. If I lived like 15 minutes down the road, I could have had it, but not where I lived, even with Digital Cable...until last year. They were going to have it, and there wasn't a fuckin season. They had better have it this year. I don't care how much it costs. Normally, it's $135...I'd assume it will be lower this year, maybe...I called Comcast and SHOCK! Their customer service people or sales people have no friggin' idea. Such lovely customer service...
Old 07-28-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I called Comcast and SHOCK! Their customer service people or sales people have no friggin' idea. Such lovely customer service...

You can't blame Comcast for that. None of the cable or satellite providers have the rate info yet. Heck, the rates haven't even been set for ESPN Gameplan (college football) yet and that is only a month away.
Old 07-28-05, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You can't blame Comcast for that. None of the cable or satellite providers have the rate info yet. Heck, the rates haven't even been set for ESPN Gameplan (college football) yet and that is only a month away.
Well, then allow me to expand upon my disdain for their customer service...

3 years ago, I ordered the center ice package, because the CSA i got said that it was available for my area. I was charged $128...Opening night, I sit down to watch it, and I have MLS Season pass instead. I call, get a CSA who proceeds to tell me they decided to carry MLS in my area instead of NHL, so they just gave me that instead. I canceled, of course (I'd pay for euro soccer, but not us...). Well, they wouldn't give me all of my money back...they gave me some prorated crap that took 3 full months of me not paying my bill for them to fix, and then give me 2 months of service for free...

I don't care if they have pricing info, you should know if a product is going to be available in a certain area. And you always get a different answer if you call back and get a different CSA. Their customer service when it comes to billing and ordering enhancements and shit SUCKS. So I'll blame comcast for everything, including Iraq, if I like. LOL
Old 07-30-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this will be my first time getting Center Ice, im hoping its about 99 bucks or less. even if its $135 or so, im getting it.