Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWE: Week of 7/25-7/31 (Battle of Bands; Stretcher Match; GAB Fallout)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-25-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's try this new format for all things WWE this week, unless something special requires a new thread (like the releases did)

First up: RAW!!

Prediction: Matt Hardy is an EMT carrying the stretcher.
Old 07-25-05, 02:18 PM
Suspended

I predict lots of time wasted.
Old 07-25-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i predict i will change the channel
Old 07-25-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I predict this thread will fill up with snarky comments.

Getting a little tired of Edge vs. Kane by this point, but it's just a transition to Edge vs. Hardy.

I would rather watch another Diva talent contest than the Battle of the Bands. Cena is a weak rapper, and Fozzy just plain sucks. Jericho has a lousy voice.

Maybe Hassan will show up on Raw. McMahon loves to screw with people.
Old 07-25-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hassan is the best thing since chris masters...

no but seriously, why they would do this to such a great character is beyond me.....
Old 07-25-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I predict this thread will fill up with snarky comments.

Getting a little tired of Edge vs. Kane by this point, but it's just a transition to Edge vs. Hardy.

I would rather watch another Diva talent contest than the Battle of the Bands. Cena is a weak rapper, and Fozzy just plain sucks. Jericho has a lousy voice.

Maybe Hassan will show up on Raw. McMahon loves to screw with people.
Hassan is "dead"
Old 07-25-05, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Um, WTF??? I could do what Cena just did (ie jump around in the background and say every 12th word while two other people do all the actual rapping).
Old 07-25-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why are doing Shelton Benjiman like this? Their making him look like a real jabroni.
Old 07-25-05, 11:08 PM
Suspended

Have I mentioned before that I hate John Cena?

It's bad enough that there was a "battle of the bands" on a wrestling show. I'll tolerate the fact that it really didn't even happen since Chris Jericho (correctly) pointed out that the crowd was biased against him and therefore he wasn't even going to play. Fine. But what I WILL NOT accept is that *I* could have done exactly what Cena did during his "performance".

See, Cena is purportedly a rapper. So how does he show off his stuff during this seemingly important battle? He goofs off in the background while two actual rappers do their thing, and he chimes in on every 15th word or so. I mean, seriously, what the bloody, stinky hell?

And another thing, why can't Cena shut the hell up during promos and let the other person talk? He's constantly chirping in with little off the cuff remarks as the other person is raging against him, messing up their timing and delivery and making the whole thing sound pointless.

I hate John Cena.

In other "action", Eugene defeated Kurt Angle in his 3 minute challenge thing and now has one of Angle's gold medals in his possession. Whatever. Then they wasted my time with not just Viscera, but also a midget version of Viscera. Did anyone here the sound of "suck recognition" the audience made when it was announced that Shelton Benjamin would be fighting Snitsky and Chris Masters? It was distinct. And Jesus Mary Catherine Gallagher, the Diva competition this week was a freaking HOT DOG EATING CONTEST. Forget the 4th grade symbolism they want you to get all turgid for, the fact that they want us to root for women gorging themselves with food when, if they get hired, they'd be fired for doing THE EXACT SAME THING. There was also another 2 seconds worth of Matt Hardy, not advancing the storyline at all.

And while I know this isn't related to Raw, there was a commercial for it, so I have to ask... why is Stealth not hyping up the fact that it stars Oscar winner Jamie Foxx? They act as if he's not in the movie at all. Hell, I've been seeing commercials for it for weeks and only just now realized he's in it.

On a positive note though, there was an interesting promo from Shawn Michaels, the match between Kane and Edge was surprisingly good, and a decent (albeit short) tribute to the late Lord Alfred Hayes. And someone in the crowd was wearing a La Parka mask. Heh.

This show is repeatedly like watching a Jacksonville Jaguars game... sometimes it completely stinks, and sometimes you get about 2 minutes of stuff to cheer for. This was one of the latter.

I hate John Cena.
Old 07-26-05, 02:09 AM

There was so much wrong with this Raw, mainly Fozzy not playing. I really dig Fozzy's new cd, as well as their last two cds. How can you not like Jericho as the frontman for Stuck Mojo, plus Butch Walker did guest vocals on the one cd.

I did like HBK's promo, it took things in another direction.

I liked Eugene winning Kurt's gold medal, since that means Nick "Eugene" Dinsmore vs. Angle. Plus a guy who works for a local indy was one of the guards.

The stretcher match was good enough. And another guy who wrestles locally was the guard who tried to stop Kane stealing Lita. Then Matt Hardy appeared...and was caught by security...again. You would think Vince would tighten security. I'm going to ask him when I see him Friday if this storyline is going anywhere, oh, wait, it's not a story, it's real...and getting really boring.

I'm not even going to comment on anything else, aside from Benjamin, he must be sleeping with the boss's daughter. Oh, wait...that'd get him the title.
Old 07-26-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
the divas-wannabes were eating hot dogs...

HOT DOGS..

get it? GET IT? tee hee..
Old 07-26-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Horrible show. Only a couple bright spots with Angle losing and the HBK promo which is the hottest angle on Raw right now.

I feel bad for Jericho being put in a horrible storyline.
Old 07-26-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crappy standard Raw.

I was looking forward to seeing Fozzy perform, assumed they would do "enemy" which I like suprisingly. Stupid storylines.

Like another in this thread, I'm not a Cena fan. What was he before this rapper guy, just a regular joe wrestler? Somehow, that's what I remember about him (since I never watched Smackdown much).
Old 07-26-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night really made me wish Raw was still only an hour long. How much of the 2 hour show is actually spent on wrestling now? 15 minutes?

And I am pretty sure I HATE Shelton Benjamin. His matches are about as memorable as the Diva contestants. Plus, he can't work the mic, hell he can barely answer a question without stumbling or messing up a line.

QUESTION: Can WWE be saved (or be brought back to at least a mediocre level of viewing)? Sugestions? Maybe we can get a big list and send it to WWE headquarters daily.
Old 07-26-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With my DVR, Raw WAS only an hour long
Old 07-26-05, 09:16 AM

With my remote switched to an Evening with Kevin Smith, Raw was only 15 minutes! Good thing they switched Christian so he could job to everyone under the sun on Smackdown.
Old 07-26-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla

QUESTION: Can WWE be saved (or be brought back to at least a mediocre level of viewing)? Sugestions? Maybe we can get a big list and send it to WWE headquarters daily.

You know what would be a great angle? The evil GM feuds with the popular champion.
Old 07-26-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice tribute to Lord Alfred. I was wondering why they didn't do the In Memoriam at the top of the show like they usually do when an oldtimer dies.

When I saw Viscera, I groaned. When I saw the little Beetlejuice guy next to him, I wept. Does no one at the show listen to the apathy of the crowd when shit like this is on? The only reaction I heard is when that little guy slipped on Viscera's silk pajamas when jumping off his back.
Old 07-26-05, 10:43 AM

Its amazing how bad the WWE is now. I sure hope TNA can get a good jumpstart to a major network with a good timeslot so we can have some actual wrestling. The WWE is just the same old horrible storylines, terrible "wrestlers," and lousy gimmicks taking up all the airtime. Lets see Chris Masters, Viscera, Kane, Shitski, etc these guys have a combined 10 moves and get airtime....UGH!
Old 07-26-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think kurt angle's current storyline is a perfect example of the sorry state of WWE. Why are they wasting this guy's ring talents on no name jobbers and retards???

Honestly, it's had occasional low points in the past, everything does....but I think the bottom of the WWE barrel is officially being scraped.
Old 07-26-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great RAW! Eugene winning should set up a decent midcard Summerslam bout (as long as they let Eugene wrestle to the best of his abilities). HBK's promo was golden. The audience had no clue how to react. Good TV gimmick match between Kane and Edge.

I'm really tired of the GM/Owner/Comish/Sherrif/CEO vs the champion storylines. The only way I can see being watchable would be to involve Vince. Eric Bischoff refered to the WWE as his company twice in his rant last night. If I was booking I'd have him continue to do so until Vince appears on RAW pissed off. Then, while Bischoff and Vince are arguing in the ring, have Cena come down, make some smart as comments, and end up FUing Vince. This could lead to Cena vs "The two greatest minds in wrestling". I think it could sustain Cena for another year or so at this level of popularity even if the feud only lasted 4-5 months. It could also give Stone Cold something to do when he pops in. What are your thoughts? It's not perfect but at least it's a slightly different twist on the same old same old.
Old 07-26-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ugabuga
I sure hope TNA can get a good jumpstart to a major network with a good timeslot
What do you think of Spike TV on Saturdays at 11pm (Eastern)?
Old 07-26-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think maybe raw should go off the air in the summer and take a few months to try and figure out how to do a good show again.
Old 07-26-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oddly enough, I miss Vince being on TV.
Old 07-26-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
And another thing, why can't Cena shut the hell up during promos and let the other person talk? He's constantly chirping in with little off the cuff remarks as the other person is raging against him, messing up their timing and delivery and making the whole thing sound pointless.
You're right, he doesn't have nearly enough charisma or mike skills to adlib like that. He's trying to be ultra cool like The Rock, but it's not working. When he was standing behind Bischoff, making fun of him, it didn't come off as cool, but rather lame. And that Scott Baio comment? He seemed like a dork instead of self-effacing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.