Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The NHL Pre-Season (and NHL Draft) Thread

Old 07-23-05, 07:12 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lordzeppelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA GO PENS!
Posts: 4,946
The NHL Pre-Season (and NHL Draft) Thread

Okay to get the ball rolling here, and to bring in some of the discussion from the NHL Draft Lottery thread, I'll start

- The Flyers bought out LeClair and Amonte, and I'm dead certain one is going to end up in Chicago (guess who?).
- The Pens are going to go after Kovalev, Aucoin or Rafalski, and possibly a Goaltender - Mike Dunham or Thibault.
- The Leafs may have a shaky goaltending situation on their hands...
- Will anyone take a chance on Adam Deadmarsh or Jason Allison (oh, I'd love to see a healthy Deadmarsh in a Pens Uniform...)?
- Now that the Rangers are pretty much screwed, AGAIN...what happens?
- Just what in the Hell are the Senators going to do?
- Where does Messier end up?

Bring it on...October 5th can't come soon enough.
lordzeppelin is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 07:28 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
You said in the last thread Belfour was not good for 60 games anymore, but he played 60 games the year before the lockout, and now he has had a year off. I think next year he'll be capable of playing 60 games, especially with the one year rest. Just my opinion though...
As for the Rangers, hopefully they continue their success from previous years, and allow the other NHL teams to continue to walk all over them.
Messier has to wind up with Edmonton, would be amazing!
mautos is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 08:16 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lordzeppelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA GO PENS!
Posts: 4,946
Originally Posted by mautos
You said in the last thread Belfour was not good for 60 games anymore, but he played 60 games the year before the lockout, and now he has had a year off. I think next year he'll be capable of playing 60 games, especially with the one year rest. Just my opinion though...
As for the Rangers, hopefully they continue their success from previous years, and allow the other NHL teams to continue to walk all over them.
Messier has to wind up with Edmonton, would be amazing!
I know. and trust me, I'm a fan of eddie the eagle...I just think that, especially with as bad as his back was at the end of '04, that he's going to play less, despite the rest. Regardless, other than him, the net is kinda thin, no?
lordzeppelin is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 08:22 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,140
Will the Pens actually be able to sign a decent goalie knowing that Fleury looms large?
Jericho is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 09:54 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I know. and trust me, I'm a fan of eddie the eagle...I just think that, especially with as bad as his back was at the end of '04, that he's going to play less, despite the rest. Regardless, other than him, the net is kinda thin, no?
Very thin, Tellqvist has yet to prove himself in net, however he is still young, so that is yet to be proven. There is word around Toronto here Ed Belfour may be bought out, and the Leafs will pursue one of the free agent goalies. I just hope it's not a 39 year old Curtis Joseph.
mautos is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 09:57 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,921
It seems that the whole Owen Nolan situation with the Leafs is going to be very nasty.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 10:34 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,921
Saturday, July 23
Period for initiating compliance buyouts begins
Period to negotiate and sign 2003 draft picks begins
Period to extend qualifying offers begins
Period to negotiate with own club's restricted and unrestricted free agents begins


Thursday, July 28
Deadline to exercise club and player options for the 2005-06 season
Deadline to sign 2003 draft picks (if not signed, 2003 draftees will re-enter the 2005 draft)
Deadline to make required bona fide offers to 2004 draft picks


Friday, July 29
Deadline for initiating compliance buyouts


Saturday, July 30
Entry draft


Sunday, July 31
Deadline to extend qualifying offers


Monday, Aug. 1
Free-agent signing period begins
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 11:19 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Am I to assume that all the players whose contracts were up and were not resigned is the reason why all these players will be changing hands? As for Leclair and Amonte, were they just released? In the old rules, could the Flyers do that without paying their contracts and are there new rules which state otherwise now?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 07-23-05, 11:51 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by CRM114
Am I to assume that all the players whose contracts were up and were not resigned is the reason why all these players will be changing hands? As for Leclair and Amonte, were they just released? In the old rules, could the Flyers do that without paying their contracts and are there new rules which state otherwise now?

The teams are allowed to buy out any existing contracts at 75% of the value. However if they do this, they cannot resign that player for at least one year. This stipulation will cause a lot of players to change hands and a lot of aging 'good' players too. Much like with the NFL, some of the better players are the ones in danger of losing their jobs b/c of their high end contracts. Players like Amonte, Forsberg, Guerin, Hatcher, Schneider, Neidemyer, to just name a few, are all likley cap casualties.

Even without this rule change, there is something like 250 free agents right now. That is b/c teams prepared for the strike and cut back drastically on signing players to long contracts. There are some teams with only a handfull of players under contract.
dave-o is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 12:35 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,344
I'm actually wondering a few things....

Will the Ziggy Palffy be back for the Kings? Will Jason Allison and Adam Deadmarsh suit up for the Kings or any team for that matter? Neither has played a shift in over 2 years. If the answer is no, will they pick up another player? I'd love to see LeClair or Amonte on the team.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 01:00 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
It seems that the whole Owen Nolan situation with the Leafs is going to be very nasty.
It's looking that way, but either way his salary will not count against the cap so I think the Leafs will still get rid of him.
mautos is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 01:16 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 203
Big Penguin fan here... but I wasn't aware they were in the market for a goalie. I'm guessing a veteren since they really don't have one? Are they going after guys like Thibault to start or backup Fleury?

As for Kovalev, Aucoin, or Rafalski, I'm not sure which I'd prefer the most. Probably Kovalev as it would be nice to have him back plus we could really use more offense.

I'm so happy hockey's back, and with such a huge bang. New rules, Crosby in Pittsburgh, Free Agents in Pittsburgh, ect.
OuTrAgE is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 01:48 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr_Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: the igloo
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by OuTrAgE
Big Penguin fan here... but I wasn't aware they were in the market for a goalie. I'm guessing a veteren since they really don't have one? Are they going after guys like Thibault to start or backup Fleury?

As for Kovalev, Aucoin, or Rafalski, I'm not sure which I'd prefer the most. Probably Kovalev as it would be nice to have him back plus we could really use more offense.

I'm so happy hockey's back, and with such a huge bang. New rules, Crosby in Pittsburgh, Free Agents in Pittsburgh, ect.
The name I keep hearing is Sean Burke. I think the want someone who can help out the young guys (Fluery and Chiodo) and if they struggle, step in and be effective. He probably won't be that expensive, so I think it would be a good move.

Their main need should be an offensive defensman who can skate well with the puck and make the outlet pass (sort of like Paul Coffey back in the day). Tarnstrom is pretty good, but I'd like to see them get another defenseman who can move the puck. Of all the people out there, I'd like to see them pick up Scott Niedermayer.

There was an article in the Tribune-Review today with either Ken Sawyer or Craig Patrick saying they thought the Pens would be in the upper half of teams in the league as far as spending goes (over $30 million). Getting Crosby has already caused a huge bump in season tickets and individual game tickets.
Dr_Evil is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 02:01 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 203
Ah, that makes sense. I think Burke would be a nice fit also.

I'm just real excited to find out which Free Agent's end up here. As you mentioned, we have $30+ million to spend, so it's going to be exciting.
OuTrAgE is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 03:13 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by OuTrAgE
Ah, that makes sense. I think Burke would be a nice fit also.

I'm just real excited to find out which Free Agent's end up here. As you mentioned, we have $30+ million to spend, so it's going to be exciting.
Unfortunately for you guys a lot of teams have a lot of money to spend once the buyouts are finished. Also not many star players are going to want to play second fiddle to Crosby and Lemieux...especially those with large egos.
mautos is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 03:27 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 203
I think many players would love to player with a legend like Lemieux and a future star like Crosby. Yes, a lot of teams are going to have money, but the Penguins are at the top of that list. There are a lot of free agents out there. I never said I expect us to land 3-4 stars, just a couple more which I believe they will.
OuTrAgE is offline  
Old 07-24-05, 11:16 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lordzeppelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA GO PENS!
Posts: 4,946
There seems to be a bit of a buzz around Kariya possbily signing in Pittsburgh to play with Mario...that's an interesting thought. Unlikely, but definitely possible.

I still say the Pens sign Kovalev and Aucoin, and go after someone like Thibault. Burke may be a nice choice as stated above, and he would be cheap...The next two weeks are going to be as interesting as it gets...
lordzeppelin is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 08:06 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
There seems to be a bit of a buzz around Kariya possbily signing in Pittsburgh to play with Mario...that's an interesting thought. Unlikely, but definitely possible.

I still say the Pens sign Kovalev and Aucoin, and go after someone like Thibault. Burke may be a nice choice as stated above, and he would be cheap...The next two weeks are going to be as interesting as it gets...
From what I have heard from Mario, Kariya wouldn't even be playing on his line, since Mario has declared the first line right now will be himself, Crosby, and Recchi.
mautos is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 11:52 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,161
I heard that Turgeon from Dallas and Savage from Pheonix were bought out. Anyone speculate what the Rangers will do, I could picture them buying out Jagr, Holik and Kasparitis.

I think its going to be funny that players who made so much previously 6-7 mil contract and other teams will probably offer 2 mil
ElementZ is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 12:51 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,921
Originally Posted by ElementZ
I heard that Turgeon from Dallas and Savage from Pheonix were bought out. Anyone speculate what the Rangers will do, I could picture them buying out Jagr, Holik and Kasparitis.

I think its going to be funny that players who made so much previously 6-7 mil contract and other teams will probably offer 2 mil
Talk in the Toronto papers is that Holik is a definite buyout for the Rangers. Don't know about the other two.

They are also talking about McCarthy and Hatcher for the Wings.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 01:10 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Talk in the Toronto papers is that Holik is a definite buyout for the Rangers. Don't know about the other two.

They are also talking about McCarthy and Hatcher for the Wings.
McCarty, Hatcher and Whitney werew all bought out in Detroit today. Also Turgeon and Savage were bought out yesterday by their respective clubs. For up to date news and stuff you wont find on ESPN.com go to
http://www.thefourthperiod.com
Thats where I get all of my info from, great sight for any hockey fan.
mautos is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 01:16 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,921
Originally Posted by mautos
McCarty, Hatcher and Whitney werew all bought out in Detroit today. Also Turgeon and Savage were bought out yesterday by their respective clubs. For up to date news and stuff you wont find on ESPN.com go to
http://www.thefourthperiod.com
Thats where I get all of my info from, great sight for any hockey fan.
Thanks for the link.

I usually get most of my hockey news from www.thestar.com or www.canoe.ca
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 01:17 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 4,091
Hatcher and Whitney on the Wings are definite buyouts. I wouldn't be surprised to see McCarty get let go, but that one will be a tougher decision as he is very well-liked in the Metro-Detroit community.

Edit: Just saw the above link about the Wings buying out all three.

I have to take a second to rant here, so please excuse me.

Here I am sitting at home all excited about hockey's big comeback. The possibility of seeing Crosby play with Lemieux is great, the next month of frantic free-agent signing will be exciting. I am a little bummed about how everything will be very different, but I have even come around to begrudgingly accepting that the new rules may make the sport more exciting and accessible to average fans. To put it plainly, I am pumped for hockey to be back.

Then I go ahead and read that teams will have more of a focus on playing their division rivals. That means my Red Wing will have the great fun of playing Columbus, Nashville, and Chicago 8 times each, while not playing Montreal, Boston, or Toronto once. AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH...24 fucking games against those teams, are you freaking kidding me? No offense to Columbus, which has some good young players, and Chicago which once was a proud franchise, but 24 FUCKING GAMES!!! One quarter of the season is playing these three teams? Why in the hell would I ever buy season tickets to see that shit? AAARRRGGHH...must breathe...must breathe....


Ok, sorry about that, lets all return to being excited about the comeback of hockey...
dave-o is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 05:30 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,315
According to KMOX about fifteen minutes ago - the Blues are not going to buy out anyone.



And I guess that means there is not going to be any money to give Pronger a qualifying offer.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-25-05, 05:39 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
lordzeppelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA GO PENS!
Posts: 4,946
Originally Posted by B.A.
According to KMOX about fifteen minutes ago - the Blues are not going to buy out anyone.



And I guess that means there is not going to be any money to give Pronger a qualifying offer.
Wow...That is absolutely ridiculous. How can they not keep Pronger?

Canoe.ca said the Rags owner mentioned buying out Holik and Kaspar, and that Vancouver is possibly looking to pick up Forsberg to play with Naslund.
lordzeppelin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.