Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB trade deadline rumors/news thread

Old 07-23-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MLB trade deadline rumors/news thread

The trade deadline is only a little more than a week away.

So far today, the big news is that the Orioles have landed AJ Burnett.

The other big news today is that the Orioles are nowhere near landing AJ Burnett.
Old 07-23-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been following the whole AJ Burnett debacle, and it's amazing how long this has dragged out. If it was the offseason fine, but at this point just get something done. Enough already! Get on with it...

I think Peter Gammons has basically said the deal was done on three different days, and the rumors are being measured in weeks, not days
Old 07-23-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
This may affect deadline deals (esp. Burnett in general and Red Sox specifically BP help):

Schilling ready to 'start right now'
By Chris Snow, Globe Staff | July 23, 2005

CHICAGO -- Curt Schilling, in a wide-ranging interview before last night's game, thinks he can ''go back and start right now" and offered a possible explanation for his implosive relief debut July 14 against the Yankees, an outing that stands in sharp contrast to the four effective appearances he's delivered since.

''Everybody wants to get on Bronson [Arroyo] for the things he did the night before he pitched [performing a concert July 13], but I had my family in Disney over the All-Star break for a vacation," Schilling said. ''I didn't get back until Thursday morning."

Now, of course the possibility exists that this is just Curt playing the role of World's Greatest Team Player, trying to bring down the asking price of any potential (Wagner?) RPs that the Sox are looking at.

Coupla Gammons verbal (WEEI, I believe) blurbs from yesterday:

Sox are very close to signing Craig Hansen;

Burnett supposedly came right out and said that he really wants to go to Boston (I gather Gammons showed him around town a while back and AJ loved the whole college/Newbury St. experience), and then said that he would NOT resign if traded elsewhere.

Last edited by Jobronie; 07-23-05 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-23-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by Jericho
I've been following the whole AJ Burnett debacle, and it's amazing how long this has dragged out. If it was the offseason fine, but at this point just get something done. Enough already! Get on with it...
I've also found it amusing. Burnett has been within seconds of being traded......for over TEN DAYS now. I remember running into a neighbor last Sat. PM, and we talked about how it looked like all the talk was finally over and the deal was finally about to be consumated. LOL.

Can anyone remember any deadline player that has been talked about this much for this long?

And I know this isn't so much deadline talk, as he'd have no problem clearing waivers after the 31st, but I'm still waiting for one last round of 'Manny to the Mets' talk before his 10-5 rights kick in.......

Last edited by Jobronie; 07-23-05 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-23-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, Curt - stfu.

It's impossible to speculate when Jocketty is going to trade for someone and who he will get - chances are he will surprise us yet again.
Old 07-23-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
It's impossible to speculate when Jocketty is going to trade for someone and who he will get - chances are he will surprise us yet again.
He's certainly near the top of the list for GMs who make impact deals at the dealine, as well as underrated GMs. Plus, he works almost entirely under the radar. I may not root for the Cards, but he's one of those guys that make trade deadline time fun.
Old 07-23-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
He's certainly near the top of the list for GMs who make impact deals at the dealine, as well as underrated GMs. Plus, he works almost entirely under the radar. I may not root for the Cards, but he's one of those guys that make trade deadline time fun.

You hear people suggest the most random, off-the-wall trades all of the time that seem utterly ridiculous that you have to laugh them off - but w/ Walt, they're not.
Old 07-23-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Dbacks got RP Tim Worrell to help their atrocious bullpen for IF Matt Kata.
Old 07-23-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprise! Sidney Ponson has been traded to SD for Phil Nevin, per ESPN News. The first domino has fallen. Of course, they both have NT clauses, and Nevin has used his before. But it looks like the O's will win the Burnett sweepstakes, and the Marlins are going to look foolish if there was any truth at all to the package that nutty Kenny Williams was offering.
Old 07-23-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Sydney Pontoon just got traded for Phil Nevin, straight up. Interesting deal for both teams. Padres need offense and the O's need pitching. Doesn't make alot of sense.
Old 07-23-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, did they just say that this means they aren't going to trade for Burnett?

Now I'm just friggin confused.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 07-23-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats what Gammons said.

The Baltimore Orioles on Saturday traded right-handed pitcher Sidney Ponson to San Diego for first baseman Phil Nevin, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

With Ponson moving to the Padres, the Orioles deal to acquire Florida Marlins right-hander A.J. Burnett has been shelved.

A three-way deal with the Orioles and Texas Rangers, which would have sent Burnett to Baltimore, was "killed" by the Orioles this weekend, according to a baseball man familiar with the deal, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported. So the Marlins are believed to have broken off talks with Baltimore, at least for now, and are back to focusing on offers by the Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays.

Lowell, who is batting a disappointing .230 with just four homers and 39 RBI, is owed about $21 million through 2007.

Ponson was moved to San Diego once he refused a trade to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for left-handed reliever Trever Miller.
Old 07-23-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it could mean that the O's spin someone to LA for Weaver or Perez. If they can get a quality arm out of this, and keep Hayden Penn, this isn't a bad thing for Baltimore.

Quit talking racing, ESPN News.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 07-23-05 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I'm just friggin confused.
According to www.rotoworld.com:

According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, the Orioles are less likely to acquire A.J. Burnett after trading Sidney Ponson for A.J. Burnett.
Old 07-23-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is another report floating around that the Rockies have dealt Matt Holliday to Detroit for Rondell White. WTF?? I'll have to believe that one when I see it.
Old 07-23-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now Buster Olney reports that the Padres have aquired Joe Randa for prospects.

And we're still a week away from the deadline. I love this shit!

Sean Burroughs has supposedly been sent to the minors as well.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 07-23-05 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ponson was supposed to pitch for Baltimore today. Who's taking his place?
Old 07-23-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Baltimore Orioles on Saturday have agreed to trade right-handed pitcher Sidney Ponson to San Diego for first baseman Phil Nevin.

Buster Olney reports that Nevin has a limited no-trade clause and he hasn't approved the deal yet. The Orioles are on the list of teams he does not want to be traded to.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2114944
Old 07-23-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Ponson was supposed to pitch for Baltimore today. Who's taking his place?
I'm sure the replacement will be suitable. A tee, perhaps?
Old 07-23-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-23-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Baltimore Orioles on Saturday have agreed to trade right-handed pitcher Sidney Ponson to San Diego for first baseman Phil Nevin.

Buster Olney reports that Nevin has a limited no-trade clause and he hasn't approved the deal yet. The Orioles are on the list of teams he does not want to be traded to.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2114944
They had to have assurances from him if they aquired Randa, right. And anyway, after watching Nevin act like someone slapped his mama everytime he hit a warning track shot in PetCo, I'm surprised he hasn't reworked his NTC.

Olney says "as we speak" Burnett to Baltimore is dead.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 07-23-05 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phil Nevin is supposedly in SD's starting lineup.
Old 07-23-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phil Nevin is supposedly in SD's starting lineup.

For people who get pissed off when their team doesn't give out NTCs like candy, I present to you Sidney Ponson and Phil Nevin. But I'm sure Padres faithful aren't still annoyed at all that they may have had Junior a couple of years ago were it not for Nevin.
Old 07-23-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't want Ponson!!!!! Take him back dammit!!!!!
Old 07-23-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Nevin doesn't have a limited no trade clause. He's a 10/5 guy. He has full veto power and can veto any trade. I don't know what the hell Olney is smoking. Nevin can still veto this trade, if he desires. But honestly, if a team is giving up on you, why would you want to go back there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.