1. No more red line

2. Re-instituting tag-up for offsides

3. Limiting area behind the net where the goalie can play the puck

4. Goals moved 2 feet closer to end boards

5. Goalie equipment made smaller

6. Shootouts for OT games
Old 07-22-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am really excited for all of these rules except for number 3. I really wish they would get rid of the instigator rule though.
Old 07-22-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I can live with all of these...I used to hate the concept of shootouts, but watching two teams play for a tie is much worse...so I guess I am a convert.
Old 07-22-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. No more red line
how will they determine icing?
Old 07-22-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6. Shootouts for OT games
Will the points be changed at all? Will a shootout win be worth as much in the standings as a regulation victory? Will a shootout loss be worth anything?
Old 07-22-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
how will they determine icing?
I am pretty sure the redline will still be on the ice...it just won't be used for two line passing anymore.
Old 07-22-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I am pretty sure the redline will still be on the ice...it just won't be used for two line passing anymore.
Yep,thats how it will work.
Old 07-22-05, 04:44 PM

How about goals scored in a shootout? Do they count as normal goals for the player, and do they count against the goalies GAA?

Say a game ends 1-1, then a shootout is decided by a score of 3-2, will they just add one goal to the official score, making it end 2-1, or will all the goals scored be added to the total, making it 4-3?
Old 07-22-05, 04:46 PM

I don't get the complaints about ties. Football is probably the most watched sport and they have ties.

Doesn't matter, it will be good to see them on the ice again.
Old 07-22-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

how many ties have there been in the NFL in the last ten years?
Old 07-22-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I don't get the complaints about ties. Football is probably the most watched sport and they have ties.

Doesn't matter, it will be good to see them on the ice again.
If the NFL had even 5% ties, they would probably get rid of it. What is the percentage in NHL? 25%?

I like the shoot out change, but hope they don't let the stats count.
Old 07-22-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
If the NFL had even 5% ties, they would probably get rid of it. What is the percentage in NHL? 25%?

I like the shoot out change, but hope they don't let the stats count.

Hopefully they'll count different stats for shootouts. Shootout goals scored, Shootout clinching goals, conversion percentage, etc..

I'm fine with these rules. They may not all work, but at least they are trying to open the game up some more. After this season, we'll have a better idea of what works and what doesn't.
Old 07-22-05, 05:48 PM

I'm just saying, ties didn't bother me. I once was at a 0-0 tie. And, it was a great game.
There aren't that many ties in the NFL, but when there are I never hear anyone complain about it.
Old 07-22-05, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Hopefully they'll count different stats for shootouts. Shootout goals scored, Shootout clinching goals, conversion percentage, etc..

Cool. More fantasy hockey stats!
Old 07-22-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am totally against giving a team a point for losing in overtime but if it stays then they should award three points for a regulation win-only two points for an overtime win and one point for a tie or overtime loss.
Old 07-22-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just how limiting is rule 3?
Old 07-22-05, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by shizawn

From NHL.com:

LIMITS ON GOALTENDERS

The dimensions of goaltender equipment will be reduced by approximately 11 percent. In addition to a one-inch reduction (to 11') in the width of legpads, the blocking glove, upper-body protector, pants and jersey will also be reduced in size.

Goaltenders may play the puck behind the goal line only in a trapezoid-shaped area defined by lines that begin six feet from either goal post and extend diagonally to points 28 feet apart at the endboards
Old 07-22-05, 06:51 PM

Here are the rest:

Originally Posted by nhl.com
DIMENSIONS OF THE RINK
The neutral-zone edges of the blue lines will be positioned 64 feet from the attacking goal line and 75 feet from the end boards in the attacking zone. The addition of four feet in each of the offensive zones should encourage more offensive play, particularly on power-plays.
The goal lines will be positioned 11 feet from the end boards, two feet closer to the end boards than previously.
The size of the neutral zone will be reduced to 50' from 54'.
The blue lines and center line will remain at 12 inches in width
FEWER STOPPAGES, INCREASED "FLOW"
Passes from behind the defensive blue line to the attacking blue line will be considered legal. The center red line will be ignored for purposes of the "two line pass".
"The Tag-up Rule" will permit play to continue if offensive players who preceded the puck into the zone return to the blue line and "tag" it.
ICING THE PUCK
Icing the puck offenses still will be penalized by a face-off in the defensive zone of the team that ices the puck.
A team that ices the puck cannot make a line change prior to the ensuing face-off.
"Touch" icing will remain the practice, although the Linesman will have discretion to wave off apparent icing infractions if they are deemed the result of an attempted pass. Providing the discretion to the Linesman also should have the effect of reducing the number of situations in which a race for the puck might result in an injury to a player.
INSTIGATOR RULE
A player who instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game will receive a game misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension would double for each additional incident.
As well, the player's Coach will be fined $10,000 -- a fine that would double for each such incident.
OFFICIATING POINTS OF EMPHASIS
Zero tolerance on Interference, Hooking and Holding/Obstruction.
Goaltenders who play the puck behind the goal line but outside the designated puck handling area will be penalized for delay of game.
Goaltenders will be penalized for delaying the game if they "freeze" the puck unnecessarily.
Any player who shoots the puck directly over the glass in his defending zone will be penalized for delay of game.
SHOOTOUT
Following a scoreless five-minute overtime, three players from each team participate in the order the coach selects.
Each team takes three shots. The team with the most goals after those six shots is the winner.
If the score remains tied, the shootout will proceed to a "sudden death" format.
Regardless the number of goals scored during the shootout portion of overtime, the final score recorded for the game will give the winning team one more goal than the score at the end of regulation time.
UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT
In addition to the minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct/diving that may be assessed by the Referee during a game, Hockey Operations will review game videos and assess fines to players who dive or embellish a fall or a reaction, or who feigns injury in an attempt to draw penalties.
The first such incident will result in a warning letter being sent to the player.
The second such incident will result in a $1,000 fine.
The third such incident will result in a $2,000 fine.
The fourth such incident will result in a one-game suspension.
Public complaints or derogatory comments toward the game also will result in fines.
Old 07-22-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shizawn

more pics here:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html
Old 07-22-05, 06:56 PM

And shootout and tie info:

Originally Posted by nhl.com
NHL ADOPTS SHOOTOUT ROUND
FOR REGULAR-SEASON PLAY
NEW YORK (July 22, 2005) - Regular-season games that are tied at the conclusion of overtime will be decided by a shootout round beginning in 2005-06, the National Hockey League announced today.

The new shootout rule guarantees a winner each game; ties have been eliminated. If a game remains tied after the five-minute, four-on-four overtime period, the teams will engage in a shootout, in which three skaters aside take alternating penalty shots against the opposing goaltender. If still tied after three shots per team, 'sudden-death' shots will be taken to reach a decision.

The League will award two points to a team that wins in regulation, overtime or the shootout; one point to a team that loses in overtime or the shootout; and no points to a team that loses in regulation.

Penalty shots have been used by the International Ice Hockey Federation to decide deadlocked games at the World Championships and Winter Olympic Games since 1992. The NHL has had a shootout rule in effect to determine the winner of its All-Star Game since 1994 but only has been required once, when the Western Conference broke a 5-5 tie by outscoring the East 3-1 in penalty shots on Feb. 2, 2003 at Sunrise, Fla.

RECENT TIE-GAME STATISTICS

National Hockey League -- Fourteen per cent of all NHL regular-season games in the 2003-04 regular season ended in a tie (170 games of 1,230).

American Hockey League -- In the 2004-05 AHL regular season, the first that included a shootout round following overtime to determine a winner, 12% of the games extended to the shootout round (138 games of 1,120).

RECENT PENALTY-SHOT STATISTICS

National Hockey League -- Players scored on 32% of their penalty shot attempts in the 2003-04 NHL regular season (18 goals on 57 attempts).

American Hockey League -- In the 2004-05 AHL regular season, the success rate in the shootout round was 31% (471 goals on 1,498 attempts).

Might make penalty shots a little less exciting over time?
Old 07-22-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OFFICIATING POINTS OF EMPHASIS
Zero tolerance on Interference, Hooking and Holding/Obstruction.
Yeah right, they've been saying that for the past 10 years. I expect this to last about a month and to be totally forgotten by the time the playoffs come around.
Old 07-22-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I am totally against giving a team a point for losing in overtime but if it stays then they should award three points for a regulation win-only two points for an overtime win and one point for a tie or overtime loss.
Especially since the OTL point was originally intended to encourage what the shoot-out guarantees (i.e. a winner).

But, I'm ok with the point.

Anyway, those are some big changes in the rules. And with the changes resulting from the new CBA, the NHL sure won't look the same come October.
Old 07-22-05, 10:38 PM

What about playoff games? Will they still use the shootout there, or go back to unlimited 20 minute periods?
Old 07-22-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by potvin48
What about playoff games? Will they still use the shootout there, or go back to unlimited 20 minute periods?
Everything I have read so far says this in only for the regular season. No need for such changes during the playoffs - and no one would be dumb enough to mess with a system that gives a chance at a Game 7 triple overtime for the Cup.
Old 07-23-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
And shootout and tie info:

Might make penalty shots a little less exciting over time?

I don't know...the penalty shot is one of the more exciting things to watch in all of sports. It will be good to see them get some use out this finally...

Only 57 penalty shots in 1,230 games isn't nearly enough.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.