Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Draft Lottery

Old 07-21-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NHL Draft Lottery

Anyone else excited to watch a big market team get the #1 pick? Apparenlty they're not showing the balls, much like the NBA. They're opening envelopes. This thing is going to be so "David Sterned" its a joke. Can you say Patrick Ewing.

How tuff is it to show the balls come up? We all know its fixed when you don't show that.

Sincerly,

Bitter Wild fan
Old 07-21-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can understand it's hard to come up with a draft order that's fair without a season, but why powerhouses like Detroit or Colorado get a shot at the "LeBron James" of hockey seems ridiculous. A team like Washington which ended the last season with virtually no talent gets the worst odds. Go figure. I suspect the results won't be pleasing
Old 07-22-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's a rumor that YES network already picked up the rights to televise the draft.
Old 07-22-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In Canada, TSN will be televising the draft results and announcement. The actual lottery as people indicated above won't be televised.
Old 07-22-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Anyone else excited to watch a big market team get the #1 pick? Apparenlty they're not showing the balls, much like the NBA. They're opening envelopes. This thing is going to be so "David Sterned" its a joke. Can you say Patrick Ewing.

How tuff is it to show the balls come up? We all know its fixed when you don't show that.

Sincerly,

Bitter Wild fan
I will be stunned if the Rangers don't end up with the #1 pick. Stunned.
Old 07-22-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
I will be stunned if the Rangers don't end up with the #1 pick. Stunned.
According the "great" Jeremy Roenick, the league should just skip the draft and give the Rangers the pick since they are in the biggest market and it will have the greatest effect.

Old 07-22-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.
According the "great" Jeremy Roenick, the league should just skip the draft and give the Rangers the pick since they are in the biggest market and it will have the greatest effect.

It makes no sense to me. Who the fuck except for diehard hockey fans knows who Crosby is? It's not going to bring casual fans into the league, at least not for several years until he develops into a big star.
Old 07-22-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It makes no sense to me. Who the fuck except for diehard hockey fans knows who Crosby is? It's not going to bring casual fans into the league, at least not for several years until he develops into a big star.
This is easily the most hype about a #1 pick since Mario. Not saying your wrong, just explaining why they'll fix it. They're grasping at straws instead of just trying to make the league something fun to watch.

Just can't see the league letting Crosby play in a Blue Jackets or Wild jersey next year.

And if they do actually let the balls fall where they may, he STILL won't play on that team. He'll demand a trade and there won't be anything that team can do but trade him. Eric Lindros comes to mind.
Old 07-22-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to say it but I thought losing the entire season was awful but this lottery sham leaves an even worst taste in my mouth.
Old 07-22-05, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I hate to say it but I thought losing the entire season was awful but this lottery sham leaves an even worst taste in my mouth.
Why is it a sham? Or do you mean if the Rangers get the pick it's a sham? I think the method they are using (barring any cheating to place Crosby in a large market) is the only way to do it. The NHL is essentially starting fresh with a majority of the players that will be switching teams. They can't have the lottery the way they have in the past because the teams that finished at the bottom 2 years ago will have a dramatically different roster this season.

As for Crosby - he will be a star very quickly. A lot of hockey 'analysts' are reluctant to say he will be a star because of past failures of anointed "The Next Great One", but Crosby is the real deal. I really think his ascent to stardom will be as quick, or quicker, as Kovalchuk's. I just really hope that one of the two ping pong balls belonging to the Wild comes up for him.

All of the press conferences and lottery results will be streamed online at NHL.com today.
Old 07-22-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PeMo
Why is it a sham? Or do you mean if the Rangers get the pick it's a sham? I think the method they are using (barring any cheating to place Crosby in a large market) is the only way to do it. The NHL is essentially starting fresh with a majority of the players that will be switching teams. They can't have the lottery the way they have in the past because the teams that finished at the bottom 2 years ago will have a dramatically different roster this season.
I called it a "sham" because they are not televising the actual lottery and instead the league will just be announcing the draft positioning via the envelopes.
Old 07-22-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

But from everything I hear, the kid is poised to be a star as soon as he setps on the ice for an NHL team. I think having a guy like that will bring in more casual fans. Just like when people go see the Cavs play to see LeBron.
Old 07-22-05, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I called it a "sham" because they are not televising the actual lottery and instead the league will just be announcing the draft positioning via the envelopes.
I don't know for sure how it works, but wouldn't the whole process take a really long time as, after each ball comes out, they have to take out the remaining balls for that team?
Old 07-22-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know for sure how it works, but wouldn't the whole process take a really long time as, after each ball comes out, they have to take out the remaining balls for that team?
At least if they televise the lottery taking place for the first pick, there wouldn't be any talk of the draft being fixed.
Old 07-22-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well another interesting note about Crosby is how he has basically overshadowed Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin was (or still is) a very, very good prospect. Many rated him higher than a Kovalchuk or Rick Nash, other recent top picks. I wonder if the fact that he is Russian is the major reason Crosby overshadows him. Or is Crosby simply that much better of a prospect?

Anyways, I will again echo the shittiness of the draft. Imagine if the NBA had a strike the year before LeBron came out. And then someone like the Lakers won the lottery to select James. That just isn't right. Although the team that really lost out on all this was the Penguins. They would be guaranteed a top 3 slot, and had a very good chance at #1 without the season being cancelled. Now, they may end up drafting 23rd or something.
Old 07-22-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah. If a team's second ball comes up, just ignore it. That's what the NBA used to do before they went to the 4 digit system (and the logic still applies even to the new system).
Old 07-22-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho
Well another interesting note about Crosby is how he has basically overshadowed Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin was (or still is) a very, very good prospect. Many rated him higher than a Kovalchuk or Rick Nash, other recent top picks. I wonder if the fact that he is Russian is the major reason Crosby overshadows him. Or is Crosby simply that much better of a prospect?
Having watched Ovechkin during the World Juniors, I say that he's poised to become a great player but I think you hit the nail right on the head that he's not as widely touted because he's European.
It will be interesting to see how Crosby fares in the NHL, having dominated the Juniors.
Old 07-22-05, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jericho
Anyways, I will again echo the shittiness of the draft. Imagine if the NBA had a strike the year before LeBron came out. And then someone like the Lakers won the lottery to select James. That just isn't right. Although the team that really lost out on all this was the Penguins. They would be guaranteed a top 3 slot, and had a very good chance at #1 without the season being cancelled. Now, they may end up drafting 23rd or something.
I really don't think this is really that unfair to the Penguins. This is a unique situation where everything will change this season. The Pens roster will probably have ~10 new players on their roster, as will most teams. The cap (theoretically) changes the game a lot, so you really can't base the weight of the lottery on the last season.

You can't compare it to the NBA and losing the chance of Lebron as labor negotiations in the NBA haven't changed the NBA in nearly the same way - even when the NBA went to a cap. They grandfathered in the contracts when the cap was implemented (let alone didn't roll-back salaries) so it's not the same situation.
Old 07-22-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't think this is really that unfair to the Penguins. This is a unique situation where everything will change this season. The Pens roster will probably have ~10 new players on their roster, as will most teams. The cap (theoretically) changes the game a lot, so you really can't base the weight of the lottery on the last season.

You can't compare it to the NBA and losing the chance of Lebron as labor negotiations in the NBA haven't changed the NBA in nearly the same way - even when the NBA went to a cap. They grandfathered in the contracts when the cap was implemented (let alone didn't roll-back salaries) so it's not the same situation.
You're forgetting one major difference. The Penguins may be a different team this year, but the draft is supposed to be on last year's standings, not what they look like in the future. Of course the hope would be that the Penguins could have improved last year with a salary cap, etc...

Still, one is speculating on what might have been. And every team knew the upcoming CBA expiration would wreak havoc on their teams. Franchises that signed players to big contracts knew full well they were risking something in doing so.

All I know is the Penguins had the least amoun of NHL talent at the end of the 2004 season. They may have improved their talent level in the mythical '04-'05 season, but they started way behind everyone else and you can't fix everything at once. And now the Red Wings could easily be drafting way, way higher than the Penguins (and the Red Wings can dump bad contracts if they wish).
Old 07-22-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

when is the draft and what are the rules for picking the order of selection for the teams?
Old 07-22-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And its not like the players that will be moving (at least hte vast majority) will all be all-star players. They're all role players. Yes, the Penguins (to continue with the example) will have a different team, but the core players from every team are still on that team. To use the NBA analysis, its not like if this happeend in the NBA, all of a sudden SHaq, Kobe, Garnett, DUncan, etc. would all become free agents.

And there is NO reason why they can't show the lottery on TV. There's only 48 total balls in the hopper. It would take no more than 10 seconds to get the Penguins balls out if they got the #1 pick and so on. If it was like hte nba with 1000+ balls, then ya, i agree 100% with ya. They do it behind closed doors, they can EASILY fix this. No one would ever find out. NBA did it, why can't they?
Old 07-22-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atari2600
when is the draft and what are the rules for picking the order of selection for the teams?
Draft is July 30, I believe.

As for the rules for selection, all teams start out with 3 balls in the hopper. For each playoff appearance in the last 3 years or each #1 pick in the last 3 years,one ball goes away, but all teams get at least one ball in the hopper. And then we pick balls. First one out goes #1, second one out goes #2, etc., down to #30. The draft order will snake in each of the rounds (i.e. the last pick in round 1 gets the first pick in round 2, etc.).

Bettman has a press conference in an hour to announce the rules changes (which according to tsn.ca will not include expanding the playoffs to 20 teams), and then the draft lottery results are announced at 4 PM Eastern.
Old 07-22-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atari2600
Draft is on the 30th

THey're holding a lottery (not shown on tv, just the results) to determine who gets the #1 pick down to the 30th pick. THe draft will be serpentined so that if you have the 30th pick in the first round, you have the first pick in the 2nd.

Lottery will work like this. Each team starts with 3 balls. Teams will have a ball taken away based on 2 criteria: 1) Each year they were in the playoffs the last 3 years, they get a ball taken, 2) Each team that had hte #1 pick in the last 4 years get a ball taken. Teams can't lose more than 2 balls. Here is the breakdown of balls per team....

1. Buf 3 (6.25%)
2. CBJ 3 (6.25%)
3. NYR 3 (6.25%)
4. Pit 3 (6.25%)
5. Ana 2 (4.16%)
6. Atl 2 (4.16%)
7. Cgy 2 (4.16%)
8. Car 2 (4.16%)
9. Chi 2 (4.16%)
10. Edm 2 (4.16%)
11. LAK 2 (4.16%)
12. Min 2 (4.16%)
13. Nsh 2 (4.16%)
14. Phx 2 (4.16%)
15. Bos 1 (2.08%)
16. Col 1 (2.08%)
17. Dal 1 (2.08%)
18. Det 1 (2.08%)
19. Fla 1 (2.08%)
20. Mtl 1 (2.08%)
21. NJD 1 (2.08%)
22. NYI 1 (2.08%)
23. Ott 1 (2.08%)
24. Phi 1 (2.08%)
25. Stl 1 (2.08%)
26. SJS 1 (2.08%)
27. Tam 1 (2.08%)
28. Tor 1 (2.08%)
29. Van 1 (2.08%)
30. Wsh 1 (2.08%)
Old 07-22-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, since I don't think it will be on ESPN (and only on a few local FOX Sports Net channels), TSN is webcasting their coverage right now at www.tsn.ca
Old 07-22-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the Pens already got a great draft pick from their last place finish. Fleury will be an important part of their future. I would have loved for the Pens to draft first or second again this year, but I always realized it would not have been truly fair to the other teams.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.