Reload this Page >

NHL Draft Lottery

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Draft Lottery

Old 07-23-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Speaking of the Leafs - the Goaltending situation there is starting to look real bleak - I heard a caller (and this is probably baseless) say that they were possibly looking to deal for Robert Esche, or would take a flyer (no pun intended) on a rejuvinated Byron DaFoe, who supposedly has fully recovered from knee problems and is in the best shape he's been in for quite some time, or go after Jocelyn Thibault. Hmmm...I like the leafs, but if they don't get shored up in goal soon and give up on Antropov, it may be too late before they're out of the playoffs for a year or two rebuilding...
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Eddie coming back?
Old 07-23-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the free agents can negotiate with their present teams starting today and lasting a week, then they are fair game for other teams, right? Should be interesting. EJ Hradek said there could be up to 300 free agents, though I'm sure a majority of them are restricted FAs.

Sound like the Avs are going to be one of the teams hardest hit by the new cap...Sakic and Blake are owed a combined $13 million, and guys like Forsberg, Foote, Aebischer, Hejduk, and Tanguay could be let go . Though I'm sure it'd only be a couple of them. Naslund is also a FA, and apparently he and Forsberg (childhood pals) want to pull a Kariya/Selanne and sign with the same team so they can play on a line together.
Old 07-23-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ElementZ

When he was in novice 6-7 years old, he scored 159 goals in 16 games, I guess he always had the scoring touch.
That reminds me of the display in Gretzky's Resturant in Toronto....the scoring cards from his pee-wee games are all there...the goals line for him goes 12 - 10 - 7 - 14 - etc etc....completely insane....I don't remember the totals, but it was over 10 a game I think.
Old 07-23-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Blues are going to clean up w/ that 24th pick.

Congrats, Pens fans. That's pretty freakin' sweet.

Hope he's not a bust.
Old 07-23-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

some Gretzky numbers just for a littly Crosby comparison...

At the age of 10, Gretzky scores 378 goals in Brantford's atom league - still an age group record.

When he was an 11year-old pee wee player, he had 290 points in a season and sportswriter became as familiar to him as his playmates. In his second pee wee season, the little blond-haired tad who was quick on his feet and smart with the puck collected 300 points.

He also played in leagues with kids older than him and dominated....at the time they said he was the best prospect since Bobby Orr....no small comparison in the seventies....who knows, we've had a lot of next big things that have fizzled out in the last 20 years, perhaps this kid is the one?
Old 07-23-05, 11:40 AM

I saw Crosby play at the memorial cup, and for all the runs teams were taking at him he looks like the next one. I hate the fact that everytime i turn on the tv it's sidney crosby, but this kid is going to be good.
Old 07-23-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have mixed feelings on Domi. I do realize he can be a decent checking forward, and you can't deny the guy can fight, but I have to wonder when he will be too old to do either of those things very effectively.

Fun Fact:
If you re-arrange the letters in Tie Domi, it spells Me Idiot.
Old 07-23-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like the Flyers are buying their way out of trouble. Both LeClair and Amonte's contracts were bought out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2114888
Old 07-23-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what's weird about the draft order is that all the crappy teams pretty much pick in the top half, and all the powerhouses in the bottom. Of sure there are a few outliers like the Florida Panthers and the Ottawa Senators, butthe draft order seems almost too convenient. I mean Pittsburgh was the worst team frombefore the lockout and still gets the first pick. Tampa Bay, the defending Stanley Cup champs still get to pick last. Colorado, Detroit, NJ, Dallas, St. Louis, Philly, all consistent playoff teams, draft in the bottom half. Chicago, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Anahiem, and Atlanta all picked top 10 in 2004 and will pick top 10 again. Not exactly a ton of turnover for something so random.
Old 07-23-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disappointed we got the 4 pick, but I can't really complain. It got tense once they got down to 5 and we still had a shot.

Probably for the best, they would have just traded it and we would have watched crosby go on to be a superstar and I would have been really mad then.

Hope we can get someone solid at 4.
Old 07-23-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Eddie coming back?
Yes, but he has a cranky back, and he's not good for 60 games a year anymore...

BTW, I'm starting a new thread that's more aptly titled, since this is going other ways...
Old 07-24-05, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Yesssssssssss!

My season tix are front row of the E balcony...I'm salivating at the thought of hockey to begin with...and now this.

IF the Pens can sign Malkin from Russia, a top d-man (Aucoin!) and Kovalev...We're going to be lifting a Stanely Cup Banner within 4 years.
I definitely agree with you there. All the big teams will have to shed some major salaries and it leaves the Pens to pick up some of the players to add to their solid core...I wouldn't even mind getting Jagr back, at a reduced price of course. I've been waiting for the Pens to get Crosby for years.
Old 07-24-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is a photo of the ball representing the Pittsburgh Penguins during the lottery.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl...nyr119&prov=ap
Old 07-24-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Hurricanes were soooo close.