Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Draft Lottery

Old 07-22-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fuck Yeah!!!!!

Go Pens!!!!
Old 07-22-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL... actually asked him if they'd entertain offers for the pick. Nice "are you crazy?" look on his face.
Old 07-22-05, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trelach24
FUCK the Penguins and their dumbass fans coming down to DC when they play here.

Not enough Caps fans down there to fill the seats?

Don't sweat it, maybe your rich owner can just buy Crosby off the Pens in a few years, like with Jagr.
Old 07-22-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yesssssssssss!

My season tix are front row of the E balcony...I'm salivating at the thought of hockey to begin with...and now this.

IF the Pens can sign Malkin from Russia, a top d-man (Aucoin!) and Kovalev...We're going to be lifting a Stanely Cup Banner within 4 years.
Old 07-22-05, 04:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Not enough Caps fans down there to fill the seats?

Don't sweat it, maybe your rich owner can just buy Crosby off the Pens in a few years, like with Jagr.

LOL

Yeah, that worked out pretty well for them, didn't it?

GO PENS!!!!
Old 07-22-05, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trelach24
FUCK the Penguins and their dumbass fans coming down to DC when they play here.
Feel free to toss my salad.

I'm sorry that the fans in DC can't be courteous to fans of other teams...when the Caps fans come to Pitt, we don't give them half the hard time that Caps fans do to us. Then again, if the Caps could actually sell out a game, they wouldn't have like 3500 seats available for any given game, including the playoffs, for out of town fans to purchase...
Old 07-22-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey man...us Caps fans have to take out our ability to repeatedly blow 3-1 series leads on someone...

At least I have a sense of humor about us sucking.
Old 07-22-05, 04:47 PM

Yeah, Caps fans shouldn't complain, especially after getting the #1 pick in the last draft due to the random/weighted system that led to them getting the #1 pick over the Pens, when the Pens were by far the worst team in the league.
Old 07-22-05, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Feel free to toss my salad.

I'm sorry that the fans in DC can't be courteous to fans of other teams...when the Caps fans come to Pitt, we don't give them half the hard time that Caps fans do to us. Then again, if the Caps could actually sell out a game, they wouldn't have like 3500 seats available for any given game, including the playoffs, for out of town fans to purchase...
I've never had an incident with a Pittsburgh fan, and I've been to every big Ravens/Steelers and Caps/Pens game here in the last 15 years. During that time I've had confrontations with Flyers, Indians, Browns, Jets, Blue Devils, Bulls, and Red Sox fans.
Old 07-22-05, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by cleaver
I've never had an incident with a Pittsburgh fan, and I've been to every big Ravens/Steelers and Caps/Pens game here in the last 15 years. During that time I've had confrontations with Flyers, Indians, Browns, Jets, Blue Devils, Bulls, and Red Sox fans.
Well, I can't say anything for the Steelers games, as the amount of alcohol that flows through those could lead to anything (and part of the reason I don't go to games - an unfortunate majority of people are there to drink first, and watch the game second...). But Flyers fans, by far, are amazing hard to deal with.
Old 07-22-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sad my team didn't win, but very happy PGH did.

They needed Crosby more than anyone.

Hopefully, this will get a new building built or there will be no hockey team in PGH.

PGH would have been awful for Crosby if Mario hadn't come back as a player/owner.

Now the kid has a legend to play along side of and learn from. All in all, if they get that new building, Crosby could totally help save that franchise.

Thank god he didn't end up with a West powerhouse...except Detroit, of course.
Old 07-22-05, 05:10 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Yeah, Caps fans shouldn't complain, especially after getting the #1 pick in the last draft due to the random/weighted system that led to them getting the #1 pick over the Pens, when the Pens were by far the worst team in the league.

It wasn't really 'by far,' I think the Pens ended up with like one point less than the Caps after playing decent over the last month or so of the season.

I know there was some worry that they wouldn't finish last and thus wouldn't be sure that they would have at least the #2 pick. And even though they lost out on Ovachikn, Evgeni Malkin has the potential to be very good as well.

Plus they got their 'franchise' goalie the year before when they were able to trade up and get Marc Andre-Fluery.

Man, are things looking up for the Pens the last couple of weeks:

1) Favorable CBA agreement(should be able to make some moves such as bringing back Alexi Kovalev)

2) Landing a top 5 pick would've be satisfying enough, but man, getting CROSBY! A Lemieux-Mark Recchi-Crosby line next season sure could be potent.

Last edited by Dave B; 07-22-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-22-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh sweetness. This is exactly what the Pens needed. Crosby learning from Lemieux; the passing of the torch in Pittsburgh. Well that settles it, Center Ice for me this year no matter what it costs. Hopefully the Pens will play in Denver so i can see them live. The Pens have cleaned up in the draft the last few years: Marc-Andre Fluery, Evgeni Malkin and now Crosby.

Wow, can't believe they got him.
Old 07-22-05, 05:36 PM

Crosby, Mario, Malkin, Fleury, Malone, Recchi, Kovalev (maybe)

The Pens must sign a bluechip defenseman during the free agency signings, I think they should be good. Rumor has it that Lemieux is going to restructure his contract down to the bare minimum salary in order to free up more money.
Old 07-22-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Crosby, Mario, Malkin, Fleury, Malone, Recchi, Kovalev (maybe)
Let's not forget Matt Hussey . Honestly, I'm happy for the Pens, they could've used it more than anyone, IMO. I'm not really a huge fan of any NHL team (more of a college fan...Go Bucky!), but being closest to Chicago, I'd have liked to see them get the pick. But then Bill Wirtz would be happy, so that would suck. Maybe they'll get my boy Jack Skille. Or if ATL got Skille that'd be sweet too - 2 stud Badgers on one team .

Is there a list of UFAs somewhere?
Old 07-22-05, 06:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ElementZ
I am all for the lottery draft. I feel no matter where Crosby goes, he will make an impact. I don't see what the big deal is if Rangers get him, they suck and have not made the playoffs in the last 5+ years regardless of their talent. Would it really be fair if the Washington Capitals had the 1st pick again. This way here, every team has a chance and some more than others.

I think it would be less spectacular if a team like Buffalo (3 balls) got him, who would not have much of a supporting cast around him whereas, if he went to a team with players who could help his development, it would be all the better.

I don't think Crosby will be a bust in terms of talent. Lindros probably would have lived up to his hype somewhat but failed due to injuries. Don't forget Lindros scored 40+ goals in his rookie year and won the Hart Trophy (Leauge MVP). Too bad he has a head as soft as a grape.

Crosby grew up in the Maritimes where I grew up so he has been known locally since he was playing novice hockey. Every year when they would move up a level, naysayyers would say, "Wait until he gets with the bigger players, he won't stand a chance"

When he was 14 years old, he skipped bantam and went straight to Midget AAA and played with 17 year olds. Not only did he do well, he completely dominated by winning the MVP and scoring titles.

Same story when he went to the QMJHL, critics said he wouldn't be able to compete with the older players, and then Crosby wins the Scoring Title and League MVP his first year as a 16 year old and last year as a 17 year old.

When he was in novice 6-7 years old, he scored 159 goals in 16 games, I guess he always had the scoring touch.

And if he hadn't let his parents have so much control over his career. Injuries were definitely the biggest factor, though.
Old 07-22-05, 08:09 PM

Yesssssssssss!

My season tix are front row of the E balcony...I'm salivating at the thought of hockey to begin with...and now this.

IF the Pens can sign Malkin from Russia, a top d-man (Aucoin!) and Kovalev...We're going to be lifting a Stanely Cup Banner within 4 years.
4 years...hah who are you kidding? I am a huge Lemiuex fan, but i'm sorry, he does not have 4 years left in him. And is kovalev really the key piece to the puzzle a soft pittsburgh team needs? They need a power forward who can clear some space for mario and sidney to wheel around the ice. Just my opinion.

Go Leafs Go
Old 07-22-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i thought it was on the 30th? whats going on...

edit: nevermind. DRAFT is on 30th...i guess the order was done today.
Old 07-22-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go Pens!
Old 07-23-05, 12:07 AM

Congrats to the Pens! Hopefully it will stabilize a once-proud franchise. I envy the feeling as my Panthers got put over the barrel in this whole thing
Old 07-23-05, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by mautos
4 years...hah who are you kidding? I am a huge Lemiuex fan, but i'm sorry, he does not have 4 years left in him. And is kovalev really the key piece to the puzzle a soft pittsburgh team needs? They need a power forward who can clear some space for mario and sidney to wheel around the ice. Just my opinion.

Go Leafs Go
Oh, Mario won't be around for the next Cup...And yes, Kovalev is a key - his most productive years were here, and he was happy playing here. Happy Kovy= Goal scoring Kovy. As far as the softness is concerned...The Pens have been a pretty hard checking and hardnosed team for a few years...Not the hardest, but hey, Buchberger fought everyone in the league (and lost...lol), but we had a solid checking squad, especially the second half of last season.

Plus...the rumors are flying around here that Domi will be a Pen. The pens will also be making a run at Adrian Aucoin (the league's most underrated d-man, in my opinion), Rafalski, Mike Dunham, and a few others. Patrick has been known to pull a diamond out of the rough before (Robert Lang, anyone?) and I think they'll go after someone like Yanic Perrault for a 3rd line center - he'll be much needed.

Speaking of the Leafs - the Goaltending situation there is starting to look real bleak - I heard a caller (and this is probably baseless) say that they were possibly looking to deal for Robert Esche, or would take a flyer (no pun intended) on a rejuvinated Byron DaFoe, who supposedly has fully recovered from knee problems and is in the best shape he's been in for quite some time, or go after Jocelyn Thibault. Hmmm...I like the leafs, but if they don't get shored up in goal soon and give up on Antropov, it may be too late before they're out of the playoffs for a year or two rebuilding...
Old 07-23-05, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sernov
Congrats to the Pens! Hopefully it will stabilize a once-proud franchise. I envy the feeling as my Panthers got put over the barrel in this whole thing
Yeah, but you get a great pick in the 2nd round!
Old 07-23-05, 03:20 AM

Holy shit did Alberta get screwed... 26 and 25... fuck that...
Old 07-23-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plus...the rumors are flying around here that Domi will be a Pen.
I hope this is only a rumor. Domi is a thug.

I'm hoping they bring back Kasparaitis. After all, he owns Hasek.
Old 07-23-05, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I hope this is only a rumor. Domi is a thug.

I'm hoping they bring back Kasparaitis. After all, he owns Hasek.
See, I disagree. Domi is a competent Checking forward who happens to be one of the all-time prolific fighters. AND, when put in the situation, can chip in some good goals. I think Domi would be a great addition to the VandenBussche Show, so he won't have to fight as much.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.